5"8 what is your goal weight?

Replies

• WallyAmadeus
    WallyAmadeus Posts: 119 Member
    I'm at 146 currently, and my goal weight is 125 to 130. Everyone in my family is afflicted with high blood pressure, diabetes, cardiovascular disease and, not to get too creepy about this, spends years dying as the result of strokes and heart attacks.

A few years ago I started doing a tower running event in my city (you run up multiple flights of stairs.) My fast time was 11 minutes to do 54 flights of stairs. When I retire (one day!), I'd love to travel the world competing.

Tower runners are light, and that long term goal, with my family history, makes my goal lower than most at my height.

Nonetheless, it is hard! I'm over 50 and I swear that calories multiple in my body!
  • JadeQuetzal
    JadeQuetzal Posts: 95 Member
    5'7", so close. I'm 30. I started at 147 and my goal is to get back to what I weighed before numerous health issues (125). I'm at 129 right now, so I'm almost there. Though I certainly wouldn't complain if I could get back to what I weighed when I got married (118) :smiley:
  • RMC1995
    RMC1995 Posts: 67 Member
    Im also lso 5'7" so I'll join in with @JadeQuetzal. I'm 22 and I started at a heaviest weight of 151pounds 6 months ago. I weigh 127lbs right now and my ultimate goal is 122lbs, though for my wedding September 30, 2018 I'd like to undershoot to 118lbs.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I am also 5'7". Right now I am sitting at 130lbs and I am pretty happy with my body composition but there is always room for improvement, I would actually love to be 135-140lbs with the same bodyfat %. Probably another few bulk/cut cycles and I will get there.
  • JadeQuetzal
    RMC1995 wrote: »
    Im also lso 5'7" so I'll join in with @JadeQuetzal. I'm 22 and I started at a heaviest weight of 151pounds 6 months ago. I weigh 127lbs right now and my ultimate goal is 122lbs, though for my wedding September 30, 2018 I'd like to undershoot to 118lbs.

Very similar goals :D I want to get to and stay between 120-125. 118 is what I was when I got married (I was 18). I'm at 127 right now, so very close :)
  • sugah11
    sugah11 Posts: 156 Member
    I am 5'9 and I would like to get down to 145, recently was at 155 and slacked off now I have to work my a-- off to get back to where I was Anybody else 5'9 and if so what are your goals?
  • FreshBrew92
    FreshBrew92 Posts: 17 Member
    I am 5'8.5 and I am 158lbs. I was 169.5 and lost 11 pounds over the last 6 weeks. My goal weight is 145. I feel my best between 147 and 150. I don't like the way my clothes fit over 155lbs. I easily fit size 6 and 8. But I at 158lbs my size 6 clothes are tight. I am not sure of my body fat %.
  • AshleyAppleJuice
    AshleyAppleJuice Posts: 8 Member
    125! I've wanted to see what it's like to be thin for once, since I was overweight from childhood through high school.
    How did you ladies get so tall?
    My dad is a skyscraper. :p
  • RMC1995
    RMC1995 wrote: »

Very similar goals :D I want to get to and stay between 120-125. 118 is what I was when I got married (I was 18). I'm at 127 right now, so very close :)

Yeah, I saw your post and I was like omg - my MFP twin!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I'm going to be totally honest. The last time i was 127lbs as an adult was in my mid 20's and had a raging drug problem, which meant i hardly ever ate. I never got under that weight, even at my sickest and worst. I was thin before then as it was, but looked emaciated at that weight.

I'm assuming that the girls on this thread that want to get down to that weight at our height are young?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Yea @Christine_72 I think it also has to do with frame, amount of bodyfat and muscle among other things.. everyone looks and feels comfortable at different ranges. I look terrible close to the lower end of my BMI but I also have quite a bit more muscle mass than the average female.. so I would imagine that makes a difference. Even at 125-127 I would look pretty ripped, not my goal though.
  • Christine_72
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Yea @Christine_72 I think it also has to do with frame, amount of bodyfat and muscle among other things.. everyone looks and feels comfortable at different ranges. I look terrible close to the lower end of my BMI but I also have quite a bit more muscle mass than the average female.. so I would imagine that makes a difference. Even at 125-127 I would look pretty ripped, not my goal though.

@sardelsa Good point, plenty of muscle i do not have. At that weight my ribs and hip bones jutted out, there was no fat on my face, my legs and arms were twig like, and my collar bones looked deformed. I guess when i see women our height aiming for that low weight I'm projecting a little, because it was not a good look on me.

I'd say i have a medium frame, I have wide straight shoulders and an hour glass figure, I am far from slight framed which could be the difference.
  • RMC1995
    edited August 2017
    @Christine_72 I suppose we are relatively young for MFP? But I guess everything is relative on here. As previously mentioned I am 22 and @JadeQuetzal mentioned that she is 29. I can't speak for anyone else, but I can promise that I do not have any drug problems lol, and eat voraciously. I look my best at this low weight because I haven't ever put on much muscle (which adds more weight than fat by volume). Also, @JadeQuetzal and I are not technically 5'8" either. We're both 5'7" - so there is some lost bone mass automatically right there.

I'm hoping this clears things up a bit. Speaking at least for myself - I want to be happy and healthy, just with a little bit less jiggle.
  • Christine_72
    edited August 2017
    @RMC1995 I was concerned my comment may have come across as "anyone at that weight is a druggy", which was not my intention.

I'm 45, so over twice your age. What looked good on me at your age does definitely not look good on me now. Being at a too low weight (anything under 143 ish lbs makes me look haggard and older than i am.

Us oldies need all the help we can get, which for me means slightly more padding on my face, neck and decolletage/chest area.
  • RMC1995
    @Christine_72 ok! I'm so sorry! That makes a bit more sense. Sometimes I get a little defensive over my weight because I've had people tell me it is just way too low, but then they see me in person and go, "oh my! I understand why you want to lose a bit more. You carry the weight so weird - you actually can lose more!" It can be frustrating when people think I need their review/approval/validation about my body weight goals
  • JadeQuetzal
    Everyone is different, that's all. I've never done drugs or smoked though, lol. I was 118 in 2005 and throughout highschool, 120 in 2008, and got back down to 122 by 2011 (2 years postpartum). I got up to 149 and had multiple miscarriages, tumors, surgeries, cancer, and radiation. I'm at 127 now and still have gush to spare, lol. So as a 30yr old mom with health problems, it really is just that everyone is built a little differently.
  • WallyAmadeus
    WallyAmadeus Posts: 119 Member
    I'm so old I can remember carbon paper!

I was a skinny kid, a skinny young adult, and then I began fertility treatments where lots of hormones were injected into my body. With each round of treatments, I gained weight (it mimics pregnancy..minus the baby).

The "baby" is now 15 and since I'm no longer surrounded by crackers, half eaten cookies, and fruit rollups (none of which I felt I could "waste"), I want to get back to what was my "natural" weight for most of my life.
  • I remember carbons and mimeographs, and I am only 38.

My goal is 135 - 140.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    edited September 2017
    I'm 5'8" and 46. I have a pretty big frame and I've always been muscular. I'm currently at about 180. My goal weight is 150, but I'd be happy with 155. I don't think my body could get lower than 150. The last time I was 145 was in college and I starved myself and worked out twice a day. I fainted twice that summer...no thank you. I like wine and cheese too much.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    edited September 2017
    I agree with the above posters about being a certain age and looking too gaunt. I think the reason I have less wrinkles on my face compared to some of my really skinny friends is that, in addition to religious use of sunscreen since my 20s, I'm not super-thin. As I've watched myself lose 20 pounds since Spring, my face looks more gaunt and I notice more lines. Not sure how I feel about that.