Losing Weight (Again) ...After Gastric Bypass Surgery

Options
abanek1
abanek1 Posts: 30 Member
Thanks for taking time to learn about my journey! Like most of you I have struggled with my weight my whole life. But, unlike many others, in 2003, I had had Gastric Bypass Surgery. The results were fast and incredible. I lost 130 pounds in about six months. I was constantly nauseous and weak, but happy to be thinner. What I didn’t take into account was that I had learned nothing about eating right or being fit. While the weight stayed off for a few years, after three children and the pressures of life, I had gained back 80 pounds. I felt defeated.Weight Loss

As a mother of three that commutes three hours a day, I had poor eating habits. I was eating just a few times a day and my diet consisted of whatever I could grab quickly. This often meant eating a bagel in the car on my way to work. At lunch I would eat what I thought was a healthy salad in the cafeteria, which actually was packed with high calorie foods and sugary dressing. By the time I got home for dinner, I wouldn’t feel like eating and would eat left overs from my children’s plates and then often snack on chips in the evening.

In 2015, I saw a picture of myself at Easter and started to cry. How could I had gone through the pain of Gastric bypass surgery and gone right back to being out of shape? I was so embarrassed. I was so tired that the idea of working out seemed completely unattainable. But, I just stopped eating and started running. Initially I lost some weight, but my knees hurt and I was starving. I would get shaky from low blood sugar and end up binging. My friend suggested 21 Day Fix and I agreed, when I went on the Beachbody site to order, I thought, “This is ridiculous, I will never have a Beachbody.” And, when I got the workout, I couldn’t believe I was going to lift weights. I was always a big girl and never wanted to appear strong or masculine. But, I decided what I had been doing had never worked, so it was time to just follow a program and listen to someone else. In my mind I thought, “If I could just lose 20 pounds…” My expectations of myself were low and I wondered how I could be inspired by these fit people that I thought I had nothing in common with.

As of today, I have lost 60 pounds. But, I don't even care about that anymore. I have developed new habits. I have learned the benefits of planning time for myself to be a better me. And, for the first time in 41 years, I love working out! I feel so proud of myself daily when my workout is “in the books.” I feel strong, and I love my muscles! I have lost inches and my physic is better than it ever was after Gastric Bypass because I am fit… not just thinner. It makes me happy and sad at the same time. I wish I could tell my younger self … or someone like me… “You can do this on your own.” Because now… I know I can! I can’t wait for my future and love the idea of helping others to feel as great as I do!

Please friend or message me for support!

Replies

• artistrygirl15
    artistrygirl15 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Amazing! Congrats on being healthy and fit!
  • KellyGettingHealthy
    KellyGettingHealthy Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing your story. I have been thinking about getting the gastric sleeve, but reading stories like yours really makes me think I could do it on my own and to not do the surgery.
  • sandrachis
    sandrachis Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    This is a really good story. I'm down to the last 21 pounds but now is the time I start gaining. I would like to friend you and hope I know how to do it. I've been up and down the 100 lb scale more then once. Three kids will do it. Best wishes to you.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing your inspiring story!
  • jen82cook
    jen82cook Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! I had gastric bypass in 2007 gained about 45 pounds back but not bad for almost 10 years. Now getting ready to take it off.
  • abanek1
    abanek1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Yay! You can do it!!
  • 120poundstogo
    120poundstogo Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Yay! That is so great!
  • korrieriley
    korrieriley Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm so pleased that you have had the courage to admit the ups and downs since having the surgery. I'm 4 years post bypass. I lost 15 stone before and after surgery but stalled and still need to lose 6 stone to reach target. I have several disabilities and need to now exercise which I'll give 100% but a week in and I'm ok but not losing. If anything I feel bloated and fatter I don't understand so if anyone has any ideas or would like to be friends. I can promise I'm a great advice giver but know how the gastric surgery can affect you. Friends and support needed.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!