Anyone disabled & trying to loose weight?

Replies

• XxMarciaxX
    XxMarciaxX Posts: 93 Member
    Can I join you all ? I'm 26 and have joint hypermobility syndrome , chronic pain, and flat foot which makes any exercise extremely exhausting. I'm in pain most of the time and get tired easy so have to be careful as if I push it to much it affects me the next day.

I haven't started any real exercise yet as I'm worried where to start as I know it will hurt. Cant even do yoga as I'm not aloud to over stretch my joints and have been told i have to do exercise that strengthens my body x
  • LadyClaire86
    LadyClaire86 Posts: 37 Member
    Hiya XxMarciaxX I have myotonic dystrophy it's a muscle wasting condition and I can't do too much exercise as the next day I'm in pain
  • XxMarciaxX
    XxMarciaxX Posts: 93 Member
    LadyClou wrote: »
    Hiya XxMarciaxX I have myotonic dystrophy it's a muscle wasting condition and I can't do too much exercise as the next day I'm in pain

Feel free to add me as a friend, and anyone else that would like too x

• lilthings1
    lilthings1 Posts: 46 Member
    @XxMarciaxX , @LadyClou
    Don't u just love Dr's Lol . They tell u with one breath to exercise, then with the other don't exercise. I have bad back, so understand doing exercises then hurting. I did something last Tues. and hurt my self, so no exercise@LadyClou
    Have either of u tried water therapy water makes u buoyant?
  • always4my2kids
    always4my2kids Posts: 23 Member
    I am disabled. I was born with a birth defect in my back. For most of my youth I was healthy and didn't have any issues. Then when I was 26 I was diagnosed with diabetes. I really didn't take it serious. I did change my diet and I lost 65 pounds. Was VERY active. Over the years my heath has declined. I'm a mess! I won't share everything but I have CHF (Congestive Heart Failure), diabetes, neuropathy, arthritis and a tumor the size of a soft ball I need to have removed. Unfortunately, due to my weight and heath issues, it's not possible at this time. I'm desperately trying to lose weight and gain my life back.
  • cjdsign
    cjdsign Posts: 202 Member
    I would love to join your group. I've been disabled for about 16 years and in pain all the time. It's hard for me to get motivated and I think this is just what I need. I am 59 years old. I do swimming and water aerobics. Add me

Hi Stacy!! Welcome!! I understand the pain all the time, all of us here do. You found the right place :smile: I've been out of the loop for a bit, but we are here to motivate one another!!! We also are in Groups tab, Disabled and Overweight. Join us there too!! Great Ideas and topics to share your views on. Oh and recipes too! Gentle Hugs, CJ
  • cjdsign
    [
    Lisas4313 wrote: »
    Hello Ive got MS 13 years, Hypothyroid 4 years, severely Vitamin D deficient 1 week and started treatment Vit D today.
    I struggle with exercise due to extreme fatigue and pain, but do try to swim twice weekly. (Its the only relief I get!)
    I packed up smoking 6 years ago.
    Over the last 4 years I've put on 5st. But I've lost just over 1stone on my own and nearly 1st at my Slimming club.
    Please feel free to add me

Hi Lisa!! Welcome to the discussion!! I've been out of the loop for a bit, but we are here to motivate one another!!! I hope you can find some comfort in knowing you are not alone. Wow you are doing great loosing that 1stone by yourself!! I know it is much easier here with friends :wink: For your Vitamin D deficiency, I sit outside for 15 mins a day to get the natural vitamin D. I understand how it can effect your body with out it. Here are some other resources... We also are in Groups tab, Disabled and Overweight. Join us there too!! Great Ideas and topics to share your views on. Oh and recipes too! Gentle Hugs, CJ
  • cjdsign
    XxMarciaxX wrote: »
    Can I join you all ? I'm 26 and have joint hypermobility syndrome , chronic pain, and flat foot which makes any exercise extremely exhausting. I'm in pain most of the time and get tired easy so have to be careful as if I push it to much it affects me the next day.

I haven't started any real exercise yet as I'm worried where to start as I know it will hurt. Cant even do yoga as I'm not aloud to over stretch my joints and have been told i have to do exercise that strengthens my body x

Welcome Marcia!! So glad you found us!! I hope we can be of encouragement and strength for you! I do light stretching, just for some movement, on bad days and good days. I sit on the bed as I physically can't get up off the floor. I started using a kitchen timer to limit my time "doing things" and it seems to work. Come join us in Groups, Disabled and Overweight. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/105791-disabled-and-overweight This group is for any one in here!!! I found it a month ago, but I can't reach the owner. He doesn't seem to be on here anymore. But do come join us. Pushing it for me landed me in forced down time for 3 days!! There are many of us here that totally get that! I found some great "light stretching " Here on Fit2Mecoach.com look under exercise and you'll find lots of things, Ideas for light stretching and you can set up cards that follow your abilities. Oh they have good recipes on here too!! And I am no longer diabetic, but still use it for sources~ Welcome again, Gentle Hugs, CJ :)
  • cjdsign
    I am disabled. I was born with a birth defect in my back. For most of my youth I was healthy and didn't have any issues. Then when I was 26 I was diagnosed with diabetes. I really didn't take it serious. I did change my diet and I lost 65 pounds. Was VERY active. Over the years my heath has declined. I'm a mess! I won't share everything but I have CHF (Congestive Heart Failure), diabetes, neuropathy, arthritis and a tumor the size of a soft ball I need to have removed. Unfortunately, due to my weight and heath issues, it's not possible at this time. I'm desperately trying to lose weight and gain my life back.

Hi Always, Glad to see you here and saw you already are in the Group :blush: You have had a hard road just like many of us here. I understand about feeling like a mess and now you can start over and take control of things :smiley: We are all here for you!! When are you having the tumor removed? I too am doing all I can to get my life back and in the past 6 weeks things are improving. I'm so glad yo found us!! Gentle Hugs, CJ :smiley:
  • Lisas4313TeamRH
    Lisas4313TeamRH Posts: 7 Member
    cjdsign wrote: »
    [
    Lisas4313 wrote: »
    Hello Ive got MS 13 years, Hypothyroid 4 years, severely Vitamin D deficient 1 week and started treatment Vit D today.
    I struggle with exercise due to extreme fatigue and pain, but do try to swim twice weekly. (Its the only relief I get!)
    I packed up smoking 6 years ago.
    Over the last 4 years I've put on 5st. But I've lost just over 1stone on my own and nearly 1st at my Slimming club.
    Please feel free to add me

Hi Lisa!! Welcome to the discussion!! I've been out of the loop for a bit, but we are here to motivate one another!!! I hope you can find some comfort in knowing you are not alone. Wow you are doing great loosing that 1stone by yourself!! I know it is much easier here with friends :wink: For your Vitamin D deficiency, I sit outside for 15 mins a day to get the natural vitamin D. I understand how it can effect your body with out it. Here are some other resources... We also are in Groups tab, Disabled and Overweight. Join us there too!! Great Ideas and topics to share your views on. Oh and recipes too! Gentle Hugs, CJ

Hello CJ
    Thank you for your kind words and for adding me as a friend.
    Its hard trying to lose the weight as not being as active any more, but great knowing u have support, thank you.
    Will also check out the other group, thank you and look forward to sharing some recipes! Gentle Hugs Lisa x

• cjdsign
    lilthings1 wrote: »
    @XxMarciaxX , @LadyClou
    Don't u just love Dr's Lol . They tell u with one breath to exercise, then with the other don't exercise. I have bad back, so understand doing exercises then hurting. I did something last Tues. and hurt my self, so no exercise@LadyClou
    Have either of u tried water therapy water makes u buoyant?

Here is one of my experiences that still blows my @LadyClou @XxMa@LadyClou . Back in my 4th year of my disability, I had a Dr tell me it was all in my head. He stopped the meds, made me go to a shrink (no offense, I do think some are Fantastic and helpful-not this one) who told me my "problem" was not my back, butt, legs, feet, or the disabling sciatica, but my "Mother issues". I dropped him and walked out. The DR next made me go through a barrage of tests, including a "Disc O Gram"; for those of you who have never had one, they lay you out on a table, NAKED and no covering. They use NO ANESTHETICS what so ever!! Not even a topical and they drive needles into your discs to see if you are "truly in pain". Sick sadistic people..oopsie, I'm ranting... when you scream and cry and plead that they stop, they continue... When it was over, I was a wreck. I was then to drive myself home and still no pain meds. THEN a week later I get a call from this "MY" Dr who calls me in immediately for a consultation on the results. NO LIE, he walks in crying and tells me how sorry he is and that it was just a mistake and that he will have me scheduled with the neurosurgeon to get my back checked. When I asked, "what is wrong?" He says, still crying to me, "One of your screws has gone through your disc and it is causing all the trouble and pain. I left with 4 scrips for meds and a new dr apt. I never went back and to this day, I know he did not want me to take him to the cleaners. I wish he would had known I was not like that. Still am not like that. Moral of this story, if you get a "Dr test" you don't know about, google it, be informed and then get a second opinion! Hugs to you all, Oh Yes, I love water pt! I walk and do calisthenics in the deep end on a noodle around my under my arms. Gentle Hugs ! CJ
  • HokieBrad
    HokieBrad Posts: 1,670 Member
    As I read through the posts I realized that there are people out there who will understand my situation. 9 years ago I had my C4 vertebra replaced. Fast forward to May 2015, when I was assaulted by a group of students (I was a high school teacher for 28 years). Not only did they re injure my surgically repaired neck, but I also sustained a severe concussion and separated shoulder. While the neck and shoulder healed over time, I still suffer from post concussion syndrome, especially with balance and vision issues. Workmens Comp sId I was physically able to return to work last September. It didn't take long for nightmares, and panic attacks to begin. It got to the point that I couldn't function in the classroom and resigned because the insurance co said I was obviously faking my symptoms. My neurologist had me seek counseling and finally they diagnosed me with PTSD. I became very depressed leading to a pack a day habit and drowning my sorrows until I had a dissection of the SMA artery 2 weeks ago. I am determined to reclaim my life but my weight ballooned to 270. Doctors orders are to lose 60-70 lbs, quit smoking, and severely reduce my alcohol intake. My exercise right now is limited to only walking. I know o can do this but it sure will be a lot easier knowing there is a group that understands. Thanks for listening
  • yasef13
    yasef13 Posts: 63 Member
    HokieBrad wrote: »
    As I read through the posts I realized that there are people out there who will understand my situation. 9 years ago I had my C4 vertebra replaced. Fast forward to May 2015, when I was assaulted by a group of students (I was a high school teacher for 28 years). Not only did they re injure my surgically repaired neck, but I also sustained a severe concussion and separated shoulder. While the neck and shoulder healed over time, I still suffer from post concussion syndrome, especially with balance and vision issues. Workmens Comp sId I was physically able to return to work last September. It didn't take long for nightmares, and panic attacks to begin. It got to the point that I couldn't function in the classroom and resigned because the insurance co said I was obviously faking my symptoms. My neurologist had me seek counseling and finally they diagnosed me with PTSD. I became very depressed leading to a pack a day habit and drowning my sorrows until I had a dissection of the SMA artery 2 weeks ago. I am determined to reclaim my life but my weight ballooned to 270. Doctors orders are to lose 60-70 lbs, quit smoking, and severely reduce my alcohol intake. My exercise right now is limited to only walking. I know o can do this but it sure will be a lot easier knowing there is a group that understands. Thanks for listening
    I just wonder what this world has come to! I'm sooo sorry this happened to you. Of course you have PTSD, the second you said nightmares, that's exactly what I thought. I would have been in the exact same position. And that's insurance companies for you! I'm just so sorry you had to go through all of this!
    Welcome to our group, we hear you, we feel your pain and most of all we understand and will not judge, ever!

• HokieBrad
    HokieBrad Posts: 1,670 Member
    Good morning to everyone. Took a nice walk with the dog while it was still cool out and enjoyed the view. Hope everyone has a successful day
    pmj8j30pnc0s.jpg
  • silberhase
    silberhase Posts: 2 Member
    I totally feel your dilemma. i was struck by a car while riding my scooter in April and suffered a tibial plateau fracture. Needless to say, I cannot walk except with a walker and am wheelchair bound most of the time. I am also looking for some good cardio exercises that I can do while sitting...any suggetions?
  • m_halla110
    m_halla110 Posts: 11 Member
    Beautiful morning view! That's what makes the walk so enjoyable. TFS
  • Lisas4313TeamRH
    Lisas4313TeamRH Posts: 7 Member
    That is a beautiful view! Must make walking a joy to see that every morning!
  • ykcemt1999
    ykcemt1999 Posts: 2 Member
    I am disabled and have a hard time trying to exercise. I have a bad back with fusions in lower back, Fibromyalgia, herniated disc in my neck, and need a total knee replacement. I am unable to move like they do on the workout videos, unable to run, unable to get on floor to do floor exercises. All I can do is walk a little or ride my stationary bike for about 15 mins. How do you lose the weight at a good rate of lose each week or tone up after losing the weight.
  • cjdsign
    ykcemt1999 wrote: »
    I am disabled and have a hard time trying to exercise. I have a bad back with fusions in lower back, Fibromyalgia, herniated disc in my neck, and need a total knee replacement. I am unable to move like they do on the workout videos, unable to run, unable to get on floor to do floor exercises. All I can do is walk a little or ride my stationary bike for about 15 mins. How do you lose the weight at a good rate of lose each week or tone up after losing the weight.
    Hi Ykcemtt! I can tell you that moving it the best thing. Doing something, anything during the day. I am using Calorielab.com to calculate, "normal" but difficult for me, routine things and the calories add up. I copy/paste them into "my exercise" and then add them to my exercises for the day. Just type in an activity, like dishes, and it will show you the calorie burn. Put how long you did it first in the box and then it will calculate it for you. I am also doing stretching, lots of stretching! I found some great ones on a Diabetes website called Fit2Me.com I am also in the pool, 3 to 5 days per wk and that is helping tone, and the pain level is decreased substantially. My dr wants me to loose 25 lbs by Christmas. Said that is a good rate. I do the floor exercises on the bed. Works for me and I can get up after I am done. I hope something I have suggested helps you out! I'll add you as a friend, don't forget to join us over at the Overweight and Disabled weight loss group!! Gentle Hugs, CJ :)

• cjdsign
    Hey everyone!! I got to really play on the playground with my grandson for the first time EVER!!! one of my this year goals!! Here is one of the photos! LOL Have fun and be safe! Gentle Hugs, CJ0uam86dmna5r.jpg