Phentermine

Anyone taken phentermine and advocare products like catalyst or thermogenesis without the thermo" I'm not loosing weight on it and I'm binge eating at night :( any advise would be great

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Anyone taken phentermine and advocare products like catalyst or thermogenesis without the thermo" I'm not loosing weight on it and I'm binge eating at night :( any advise would be great

unless it's a prescription stopping spending our money on useless pills.

Try logging accurately and consistently....

I am not familiar with what your binge would be so.....you might have to enlighten with some details...

ie bored eating? 2-3k calories at night?
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    I have seen people be successful on programs like Advocare, but I've seen others be just as successful without it. I sometimes think products like that aren't really affecting you, and the results are from the placebo effect. You feel like you're taking this product that just HAS to help, so in your mind it IS helping. So you end up making healthier choices overall and doing things that people without the product are perfectly capable of doing. You're just spending more money on it.

Are you binging because you're hungry? Or is there an emotional trigger? I ask because I'm an emotional eater, big-time. I had to find other things to do besides eat when I'm stressed or upset.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member

I am hoping you are taking this under the supervision of a doctor and not buying it off the internet?

Phentermine can be a tool (no, I'm not getting into debate on this) but you need to couple it with good logging and exercise. While Phen can be an appetite suppressant, it isn't going to fix the emotional issues that are leading you to binge. I'll leave that to people who understand that a bit better.
  • rakaelbrown
    rakaelbrown Posts: 7 Member
    I am on doctor prescribed Phentermine 37.5 mg.

I am having great success. I began April 9th and so far I am down 17 pounds. In addition to the phentermine I account for everything that I eat, I don't eat late, and I exercise. I take my pill first thing in the morning with a bottle of water. No jitters and no side effects (she did an EKG before starting my regimen).

Are you taking in enough calories thorough out the day? You may need to speak with your doctor about increasing your dose.

Good Luck.
  • ricktrill
    ricktrill Posts: 19 Member
    I've had phentermine before when I first started out and was focused mainly on losing weight. It tricks the brain into thinking that you're not hungry, so you in turn eat less and take in less calories. Are you drinking enough water? I remember that stuff used to make me super thirsty, and if you're binging, that could be a result of mistaking hunger for dehydration. If you have a prescription for it, I say stay on it but you must focus on making better food choices during the day so you're not having the urge to binge at night, and stay hydrated. If you use it correctly, it'll definitely help you eat less while continuing to implement healthy food habits to carry you along when you're off of it.
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    I know someone who successfully lost weight while taking phentermine; I have no idea how much. It did not change that she struggles to maintain her weight without it, at least to the outside observer. I agree with @MissusMoon that it seems to be one tool in an arsenal, but as with all tools, it doesn't fix any underlying problems that led to the weight gain.
  • desireeharper1
    desireeharper1 Posts: 33 Member
    I've been taking phentermine 37.5 for a few weeks and it didn't do much for me but is great in am when u take the lean body brand garcinea cambogia from vitamin shoppe. I start it at lunch and last dose at 9pm. Garcinea was on dr oz as safe n I think its just as good as phentermine but some drs recommend taking both n that's what helps me.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,849 Member

Binge eating can be caused by a number of things.

1. Undereating. I took a look at your diary and see your calorie goal is set for 1200 calories per day. How tall are you and what's your weekly weight loss goal? With only 42 pounds to lose, set your weekly weight loss goal for 1 pound per week rather than the likely too aggressive 2 #/wk and enjoy those extra calories.

2. Also consider eating a higher ratio of fat - that helps many people stay fuller.

3. Change Sugar or Sodium to Fiber and make sure you hit your Fiber goal each day.

See also http://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliving/fuller/understanding-satiety-feeling-full-after-a-meal.html
  • TheopolisAmbroiseIII
    TheopolisAmbroiseIII Posts: 197 Member
    edited May 2016
    I've been taking phentermine 37.5 for a few weeks and it didn't do much for me but is great in am when u take the lean body brand garcinea cambogia from vitamin shoppe. I start it at lunch and last dose at 9pm. Garcinea was on dr oz as safe n I think its just as good as phentermine but some drs recommend taking both n that's what helps me.

Please don't let Dr. Oz dictate what is safe.

Dr Oz is horrible, but Garcinia is safe. It also has zero effect except to be a tasty ingredient in some Indian dishes.
  • jandsstevenson887
    jandsstevenson887 Posts: 296 Member

Please don't let Dr. Oz dictate what is safe.

Dr Oz is horrible, but Garcinia is safe. It also has zero effect except to be a tasty ingredient in some Indian dishes.

agree...Garcinia doesn't seem harmful but just arguing the logic
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Please do not mix anything with phentermine. It can actually have lethal consequences.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    edited May 2016
    ghgytr wrote: »
    I used phentermine 37.5 mg about a year ago, and it helped me lose 18 kg. I ate clean and worked out 5 days a week. It has continued to help me maintain a healthy weight, with no real side effects or none that I have noticed or were bothersome except a dry mouth, if I didn't drink enough water. Without the medication I'm an eating machine and my weight would increase to the point I would hide, so I'm grateful for this medication, it has allowed me to keep my weight to a healthy level and live life to the fullest. It's been a God send to me.

Are you still taking this while in maintenence? That isn't what it was intended for, nor is it supposed to be taken without a doctor's supervision. It's a stimulant that needs to be monitored and isn't meant for long term use.
  • amanda_newell
    amanda_newell Posts: 6 Member

Phentermine worked for me but it also ruined destroyed me while i was on it. I lost weight but i was a zombie...highly productive but cold and insensitive. I had insomnia, constipation, irritability and after 1 month i felt like i had the flu (exhausted and worn out) all of the time.
  • Dr1nkbleachndye
    Dr1nkbleachndye Posts: 441 Member

Phentermine worked for me but it also ruined destroyed me while i was on it. I lost weight but i was a zombie...highly productive but cold and insensitive. I had insomnia, constipation, irritability and after 1 month i felt like i had the flu (exhausted and worn out) all of the time.
    Sounds like adrenal fatigue as well as your CNS becoming overworked. Definitely sucks
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member

Sounds like adrenal fatigue as well as your CNS becoming overworked. Definitely sucks

Adrenal fatigue does not exist. It's a quack diagnosis. Addison's disease exists but it's so severe that the person you're quoting would not be writing here but be in hospital or even dying. So please stop using quackery. This thread is bad enough as is. Only thing missing here is starvation mode and detox.
  • critterbug15
    critterbug15 Posts: 55 Member
    I've used phentermine in the past. It made me a bit irritable, but it was an appetite suppressant of the highest order! If you're not eligible for it, EC is a good suppressant as well. I occasionally take ephedrine/primatene or bronkaid tabs (I actually do have light exercise induced asthma) and consequently my appetite is much lower on those days. As always... see your phys for clearance. ;)
  • critterbug15
    critterbug15 Posts: 55 Member
    edited May 2016
    I also wanted to respond to your comment about eating in the evening. I was having that issue when I dropped calories pretty low. Even if I didn't eat, I wanted to eat all-the-peanut-butter or craved sugar after dinner when I *shouldn't* have been hungry. You might also look into low carb/ketogenic diets. I decided, based on symptoms, that I was insulin resistant/carb sensitive and since lowering carbs significantly, the cravings have gone away. And my weight loss is happening as I'd expect (previously I was dropping calories and still not losing). It's another thing to look into. Some studies suggest insulin resistance is present in 25 - 35% of the American population. It may not be your issue at all, but it's something to consider given your pm cravings.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    I always operate under the assumption that if a pill worked then EVERYONE would know about and use it. Plus your goal is to keep any weightloss off I am assuming, so it would probably be better if you just get used to eating right and exercising now instead of later.........step off the rollercoaster. That being said, I have found that for me I am very good at eating well during the day, but really was much worse at night. Nothing wrong with saving your calories for the evening. I eat light during the day and save my calories for the evenings. There is nothing wrong with this it will not damage your body or metabolism. I also fast 2 days a week more for health reasons than for weightloss, you still eat 500 calories on a fast day but I find it gives my body a rest and I feel more energized, They're starting to do studies on the effects of fasting on the brain and body, interesting stuff, don't if you have diabetes or are pregnant or trying to get pregnant. Anyways do what works for you, trial and error, I just wouldn't take any pills to assist, it's better to start making good habits now, and go with what your body likes.