Serial Starters

Replies

• Tilliesmommy1
    Tilliesmommy1 Posts: 5,328 Member
    edited December 2016
    Good evening,

Dog taken care of lasagna in toaster oven and I am just tired. Will see about taking dog to get pictures tomorrow as lady has a 4pm apt and so I can get home in daylight.

Wishing all a warm/safe evening. :)
  • ASalner
    ASalner Posts: 496 Member
    Sara - I just realized I failed to congratulate you on your big win! Enjoy!

Glad I only worked 1/2 the day as our systems were down and from what I understand, they stayed down all day. Got some housework done, picked up DS from college, and had a nice supper. Now we're sitting across the table from each other. He is playing a game on his laptop. I am reading blogs/facebook/serial starters, etc. We are chatting and having fun. He's also shopping online for a gift for his girlfriend.

What do you think about this..

Growing up, my family was pretty poor. We celebrated Christmas and exchanged gifts. Often the gifts were inexpensive and practical in nature. We got PJs, socks, etc., as part of our gift along with a couple of toys, games, puzzles, candy, etc. My mom wanted to always stress the real reason for Christmas and not stress the gifts - but she still did gifts. I often feel we have spoiled our kids with wanting them to have nice gifts. We have tried to go out of our way to be sure we are getting them things they want or would like. We've probably spent too much. But we have also reminded and taught the real reason for Christmas and stressed that it's more important for us to be together and make memories.

DS's girlfriend was texting him tonight saying something about how we don't value gifts. I think in her world, it's more about gifts and less about the meaning. She apparently complained that DS hasn't surprised her with any gifts or anything.

We have never expected our kids to get us anything. I mean, they are now 18, 13, and 6. We buy what we want when we want it. But we always enjoy the gifts they have made for us in school, etc. DH and I rarely exchange gifts and if we do, they are usually small. But I do enjoy when he surprises me by bringing me a fancy coffee to my office or sends flowers on special occasions. We would rather go out on a date than exchange gifts. We haven't always bought our parents gifts for the same reason. We can't afford to get them what they might really want or use. They don't want more "stuff" to take up space in the house. We have always been sure to gift them with new portraits of our kids each year. Just last year, we returned to buying them gifts in the form of a variety of meats from the local meat market. Something they can use!

I told my son tonight that I'd rather go on trips together, even day trips, and make memories than get lots of "stuff".

Is that wrong?
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Good Morning,

Up with dog, waiting for tea kettle for a little honey/lemon and hot water and go back to sleep. Found too much food last night after dinner and not happy but at least I stopped.

Annie - your idea takes people away from what our capitalist marketing tells us Christmas is about. Memories last longer than most of the items you could give someone. You are not wrong, so see if you can start a new family tradition. I know one family where in the course of the year they have to do some volunteering and then at Christmas talk about it.

BBL
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Having trouble making decisions on dinners this week. Luckily I have Monday off and can go shopping. All errands done for the morning. Will call lady and see about pictures of dog today.
    Safe travels and stay warm. Freezing here at night - kills flea eggs!!
  • arniedog74
    arniedog74 Posts: 2,086 Member
    gemwolf110 wrote: »
    arniedog74 wrote: »
    Tying shoes while dressed in layers... no fun

Nope, not at all...thank goodness I have shoes that I can slip on for this reason lol

I wish I could wear slip ons... but, won't work at my job.... worst part, I have to tie the darn things repeatedly thru the day... Ugh...
  • arniedog74
    Lana- safe travels and hope you are feeling well...

Annie- sounds like a great idea! BF and I don't exchange gifts, but will get something each other wants... like he found a pair of slippers he wanted, last night and I got them for him... people focus way too much on gifts... Christmas means so much more and so many don't see that anymore...

Weather is no fun right now... freezing drizzle, last couple days, snow tonight... winter advisory until noon, tomorrow... they are advising everyone to stay inside, tomorrow... dangerously cold temperatures...We cranked up the heat at work... trying to help keep the pups warm...
    Not leaving the house myself, for next couple days... Time to get started on Christmas treats... still not ready... can't put it off any longer...

Everyone have a good evening and stay warm!

- Dawn
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Just got home from dog /christmas pictures. I will one I am not in. Dog did excellently and did much better than I thought. I have not driven that far in a long time and while it was scary I am proud of myself.

Oops I will see if I have calories for hot chocolate!! Wishing all a great evening. Stay warm and safe out there on the roads.
  • arniedog74
    Sara- would love to see pics of pup...I always say I want to do silly Christmas pics with pups...Just never take the time...
  • LanaCabana537
    LanaCabana537 Posts: 3,837 Member
    1:47 am Sunday morning--just getting to bed
    Train was wayyyyy late--three hours behind. I'm going to sleep all day tomorrow

Lana
  • packersfan0103
    packersfan0103 Posts: 250 Member
    ASalner wrote: »
    Sara - I just realized I failed to congratulate you on your big win! Enjoy!

Glad I only worked 1/2 the day as our systems were down and from what I understand, they stayed down all day. Got some housework done, picked up DS from college, and had a nice supper. Now we're sitting across the table from each other. He is playing a game on his laptop. I am reading blogs/facebook/serial starters, etc. We are chatting and having fun. He's also shopping online for a gift for his girlfriend.

What do you think about this..

Growing up, my family was pretty poor. We celebrated Christmas and exchanged gifts. Often the gifts were inexpensive and practical in nature. We got PJs, socks, etc., as part of our gift along with a couple of toys, games, puzzles, candy, etc. My mom wanted to always stress the real reason for Christmas and not stress the gifts - but she still did gifts. I often feel we have spoiled our kids with wanting them to have nice gifts. We have tried to go out of our way to be sure we are getting them things they want or would like. We've probably spent too much. But we have also reminded and taught the real reason for Christmas and stressed that it's more important for us to be together and make memories.

DS's girlfriend was texting him tonight saying something about how we don't value gifts. I think in her world, it's more about gifts and less about the meaning. She apparently complained that DS hasn't surprised her with any gifts or anything.

We have never expected our kids to get us anything. I mean, they are now 18, 13, and 6. We buy what we want when we want it. But we always enjoy the gifts they have made for us in school, etc. DH and I rarely exchange gifts and if we do, they are usually small. But I do enjoy when he surprises me by bringing me a fancy coffee to my office or sends flowers on special occasions. We would rather go out on a date than exchange gifts. We haven't always bought our parents gifts for the same reason. We can't afford to get them what they might really want or use. They don't want more "stuff" to take up space in the house. We have always been sure to gift them with new portraits of our kids each year. Just last year, we returned to buying them gifts in the form of a variety of meats from the local meat market. Something they can use!

I told my son tonight that I'd rather go on trips together, even day trips, and make memories than get lots of "stuff".

Is that wrong?

Not wrong at all. I think it's sad that she expects those things.
    I agree with you completely about making memories. I struggle with this with my husband. He wants to and especially when the kids were younger wanted to buy them all kinds of stuff. I think it's because he didn't have a lot growing up. Mainly because his father passed away when he was 14 years old. So his mother became a widow with 5 children to raise.

• Tilliesmommy1
    SUNDAY

Good morning, up with my work week schedule. Hot water bottle waiting to go back to sleep.

Groceries. TV installed (keeping fingers crossed it works), Dog to Vet. My day in shorthand.

Will post Tillie new picture/pictures when I get them. Back to sleep. BBL.
  • LanaCabana537
    Hello All

I'm down at the house in North Carolina. So nice to be in a place w windows!!!
    Sun was up this morning. Gorgeous.
    I shopped at Trader Joe's.

Internet here is wanky--so using laptop is almost impossible.
    Typing on phone isn't great either.

My goal for this week is to walk a little bit every day. I get out of breath easily still.

See you all tomorrow.

Lana
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Good evening,

New tv is like the difference between black and white tv and color. Now I am seeing the picture as I am supposed to as compared to "cut off". Nice relief for my eyes.

Dog has to go back in 2 weeks her glands were a little "stuck", so it maybe that I have to take her in more often.

Fried rice for dinner which sets up 3 more for the week, which works for me.

Back under the covers with dog after dinner, tomorrow is hair/ pedicure and day off.

My goal is also to walk more this week. Hey there Lana!!

Wishing all a great evening.
  • arniedog74
    2 Batches of Apple Butter and Pumpkin Butter, finished... tomorrow will be fudge and possibly cookies... not quite sure yet...quickly lost all motivation, today... I'm just so tired and worn out, anymore... and, as much as I love my family, it is so exhausting making the trip home...I guess I shouldn't complain...I am thankful for my family...I just could truly use another month to prepare...hahaha

Sara/ Lana - good luck on walking more... Just so cold here, makes me want to be in and out as quick as absolutely possible... I'm such a whiner..hehe

Everyone have a good evening... Will try to check in later...

- Dawn
  • Tilliesmommy1
    MONDAY

Good morning, up to take care of dog. Have day off so will get more sleep in.

Dawn, we have had such bad weather that I walk the hallways. Depending on your job, you may not have them. Do you have stairs in your home?

Dog is done, hot water ready for water bottle. BBL.
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Down 1.2 this week. I expect to indulge this being Christmas week, so I will have to be a little careful.

• arniedog74
    Sara- Congrats on your loss! I do walk at work... hafta get those doggies out.. it just hasn't been for as long as usual..the cold probably bothers me more than it does them...I just worry they'll freeze their lil toes off..

Our water keeps freezing... no fun at all... luckily, I am off, so I catch it quick before it has a chance to get too bad..

One batch of fudge done, lastnite... trying to get up the energy to make more and start cookies...

Have a good day, everyone... check in later...
  • LanaCabana537

Monday!! Internet is better.....

Hi Sara - So glad to hear the good news about your new television. Wonderful! Plus you have a day off today. Enjoy it my dear~~ Tillie too!

Dawn, please send as much fudge as possible to the Cabana Boys to serve poolside, where we can dream/enjoy the hot sun and warm weather!!

Whoa Sara~~I was working my way down the posts!
    CONGRATULATIONS on a Wonderful Winter Weigh In!!! You have been working it girl! Cheers! I am going to take some inspiration from you to turn my situation around.

Waves to all who stop by later on.

Lana
  • ASalner
    ASalner Posts: 496 Member
    Monday

Sara - Congratulations on your loss!

Lana - glad your internet is better and you're able to check in!

Dawn - your fudge sounds yummy!

We had a good weekend. Celebrated one Christmas, went caroling at a nursing home with DD's church youth group, ate way too much! I'm afraid to stand on the scale. Stepmother insisted on photo of me and sister with our dad. I glimpsed at the photo on her phone and was not happy. I am hoping she doesn't email it out to people! She asked if we wanted her to take a picture of DH and I with our kids. I politely said "no". We will do a family photo during Christmas but I like to do it with our camera and tripod so I can check the posing, lighting, and do multiple takes to get something I feel okay about.

Will try to rein it in this week before we leave for GA on Friday. I will not have a lot of control over menu when we are at my mom's. Will have to concentrate on portion control.

Went to bed feeling fine and woke up with my lower back feeling like a train wreck. I do sporadically have issues with my lower back but honest have not felt any warning signs or tweaks. So, not sure what happened. Taking Advil and wearing some Salonpas pain patches today. Also stretching. Will go to see chiro tomorrow if it's still feeling bad. I really don't want this to put a damper on our trip!

Holiday party at work today. Wearing my ugly Christmas sweater. Having Mexican food for lunch, so will try to be careful on portions. Brought cucumbers and light string cheese for snacks. Will stick with water and diet pop for beverages. I believe supper tonight will be leftover homemade beef stew.

Please send good thoughts for my back. I'd really like to feel good while we're away from home!

Annie
  • KWebb84MFP
    KWebb84MFP Posts: 10 Member
    Hey peeps. Please add my as a friend. I've been as much as 240 and as little as 150. I've been paleo and done wheat belly and all that jazz. I'm on the band wagon for real this time, because my health is important and I want to get the habits seriously ingrained before I add kids to the mix (which are in the near future). So, my profile pic is my current pic, my diary settings are open. Support, tough love, etc. are all welcome to reach my initial goal of losing 10% of my current weight to be 212.6 by June 19 (6 months from today). More would be great, but I'm trying to start somewhere. Please add me and lets do this!