Anybody have excellent butter substitutions?

valleycyclone
valleycyclone Posts: 6 Member
I want to lower my amount of unsaturated fats. I love to eat sauteed vegetables and fried eggs! I realize it probably won't provide the same flavor but I would love a healthier option. Thanks for the help!:)

Replies

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Extra virgin olive oil. -- our favorite is Colavita because we like its strong, peppery taste. We even like it on popcorn. You may prefer a milder brand.

Canola oil, especially expeller-pressed. We switched from buying the cheapest to buying the expeller-pressed at Trader Joe's because of the increased evidence that oil produced by using hexane & heat loses its healthy characteristics.

Here's a good article talking about the different types of fat: https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/2016/07/05/different-dietary-fat-different-risk-of-mortality/

Here's a good article about choosing canola oils: https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/2015/04/13/ask-the-expert-concerns-about-canola-oil/
  • valleycyclone
    Thank you so much for the suggestions and articles!
  • juliebowman4
    juliebowman4 Posts: 784 Member
    I eat sautéed veggies daily. And a fried egg at least 2x a week.
    Buy a really great non-stick frying pan. No need for any oil or butter of any kind.
  • AlyssaPetsDogs
    AlyssaPetsDogs Posts: 421 Member
    I usually will steam/saute veggies in a small amount of fat free chicken broth! Then I add a little salt and garlic powder or other seasoning! So good!
  • valleycyclone
    Thanks everyone for great suggestions!
  • laurelisme
    laurelisme Posts: 6 Member
    If you want butter taste try earth balance spread. I have dairy issues, so I use that. It tastes good and is plant based so less unsaturated fat.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    It's the trans fat in margarines that are the problem. Look for one with low trans fat content.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/butter-vs-margarine/faq-20058152

If I want butter, I want butter for the taste. I eat it occasionally - I'll go through maybe a stick of butter in a month. All things in moderation. Otherwise, I use Pam or olive oil for cooking and a non-stick pan, and a butter flavored spray on my veggies -- though sometimes I'll have a pat of butter on my veggies.

For those on coumadin: canola oil and soybean oil have the highest amount of vitamin K, so use these with caution.
  • Tresadaigle
    Tresadaigle Posts: 2 Member
    Nuvel Canola & Olive oil Margarine is what I use. Only one with no soy. (allergies)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I just use the spray stuff most of the time. Sometimes a bit of oil.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    I went to one of those specialty olive oil and vinegar stores recently. They sell an olive oil that has a buttery flavor. They suggested pouring a little in a jar and keeping in the frig. It will solidify and get about the color of butter but is still spreadable. bellanonnasoils.com/collections/fused-infused-olive-oils/products/butter-olive-oil
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    vingogly wrote: »
    It's the trans fat in margarines that are the problem. Look for one with low trans fat content.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/butter-vs-margarine/faq-20058152

If I want butter, I want butter for the taste. I eat it occasionally - I'll go through maybe a stick of butter in a month. All things in moderation. Otherwise, I use Pam or olive oil for cooking and a non-stick pan, and a butter flavored spray on my veggies -- though sometimes I'll have a pat of butter on my veggies.

For those on coumadin: canola oil and soybean oil have the highest amount of vitamin K, so use these with caution.

Yep. Just be sure you're not substituting butter for something worse.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    I eat sautéed veggies daily. And a fried egg at least 2x a week.
    Buy a really great non-stick frying pan. No need for any oil or butter of any kind.

This or literally just a few drops of oil spread across the pan before heating it.
  • valleycyclone
    Wow, a lot of people have replied! Thank you so much for all the ideas! I will test definitely be testing these out.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,299 Member
    I use olive oil or real butter. I use 1-2 tsp or sometime i do use 1 tbl but it's in my eating plan. Margarine is 1 molecule away from plastic & didn't start off to be edible
  • lizandrashaw
    lizandrashaw Posts: 154 Member
    Not for veggies, but if you are baking muffins or cake, you can substitute unsweetened applesauce for most or all of your butter/oil.
  • BiomedDent
    BiomedDent Posts: 107 Member
    Butter bud sachets. I use them to mix into things.http://www.lakeland.co.uk/6744/Butter-Buds®-40-Sachets-Of-Dried-Low-Fat-Butter
  • vanmlller
    vanmlller Posts: 2 Member
    Well I can't under stand why you would not want to eat butter.....olive oil, coconut butter or ghee...we know eating a high fat diet with low carbs no sugar.... = healthy weight lose ....
    Diet foods are franken foods and they make us fat.... check movie ...hungry for change... I do this myself and I promise it works ....and its healthy ...you don't have to suffer to balance your body ...you can loose weight enjoy food and be happy ...amazing but true ...
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    I use 2-3g of good quality butter when I saute because it tastes awesome!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I just use olive oil or butter spray.