Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

BMI calculations...

Options
TrevorMcC85
TrevorMcC85 Posts: 9 Member
Hi everyone,

This has probably already been discussed but I would like to ask those in the know if BMI calculations are accurate?

I have read a few articles recently that speak negatively about them, even going as far to say that they are completely pointless.

I'm just starting out trying to get fit and healthy and am wondering is it a good measurement of where I am and where I would like to be?

Any help would be appreciated!

Trevor

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
  • bracey100
    bracey100 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I wud rather have a low bmi than big so it's fairly accurate everyones different
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    BMI is all but worthless. It is supposed to be a reasonable estimate of a healthy level of body fat and in that regard it BS. There are lots of unhealthy people at a "healthy BMI" and you don't have to look anything like the Rock to be at an overweight or even obese BMI, particularly men. If you want to know if you are healthy, look in the mirror, actually check your body fat, check your blood pressure, check your cholesterol, etc.
  • Chadxx
    Options
    If it makes you feel good to throw around terms like special snowflake to insult people, go right ahead. I have seen the threads. I have seen plenty of people for which BMI absolutely not an accurate measure of health. What I have never seen is BMI take into account body fat or blood pressure or cholesterol or even something as simple as waist size. Heck, a waist size chart would be better than BMI.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Chadxx wrote: »
    If it makes you feel good to throw around terms like special snowflake to insult people, go right ahead. I have seen the threads. I have seen plenty of people for which BMI absolutely not an accurate measure of health. What I have never seen is BMI take into account body fat or blood pressure or cholesterol or even something as simple as waist size. Heck, a waist size chart would be better than BMI.

In my own experience BMI matched what was going on with my health. When my BMI was in the overweight category I was unhealthy with a high glucose number and not so great cholesterol numbers. As my BMI went down (ie I was losing weight), my blood panel numbers improved. Now I'm in the healthy BMI range and I also have excellent blood panels, great blood pressure etc. This may not be the case for everyone but it was for me at least.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    BMI is all but worthless. It is supposed to be a reasonable estimate of a healthy level of body fat and in that regard it BS. There are lots of unhealthy people at a "healthy BMI" and you don't have to look anything like the Rock to be at an overweight or even obese BMI, particularly men. If you want to know if you are healthy, look in the mirror, actually check your body fat, check your blood pressure, check your cholesterol, etc.

Yeah, it's so easy to be obese by BMI without being overfat, a 6 foot person would just have to be 220 pounds, putting them at least at 24 FFMI, and that's when you're at 20% bodyfat which is hardly the best bodyfat amount to have. That goes up to 26 if you go with an actually healthy bodyfat range. 25 FFMI is what's regarded barely still doable by people with great genetics. But yeah tell yourself so many people at healthy bodyfat amounts can be up to obese without that crazy amount of muscle.
    I swear, the skewed perception perpetuated thanks to pro bodybuilders is gonna be the death of my sanity.
  • Chadxx
    Options

Yeah, it's so easy to be obese by BMI without being overfat, a 6 foot person would just have to be 220 pounds, putting them at least at 24 FFMI, and that's when you're at 20% bodyfat which is hardly the best bodyfat amount to have. That goes up to 26 if you go with an actually healthy bodyfat range. 25 FFMI is what's regarded barely still doable by people with great genetics. But yeah tell yourself so many people at healthy bodyfat amounts can be up to obese without that crazy amount of muscle.
    I swear, the skewed perception perpetuated thanks to pro bodybuilders is gonna be the death of my sanity.

First of all, you skipped the overweight range entirely. Secondly, use whatever calculations you want but it really isn't that hard to exceed the normal or even overweight BMI ranges and be healthy. Last time I lost weight, I was still considered obese according to BMI charts but had abs showing and a 32" waist. That was after only 3 months back in the gym. A couple of guys I work with have 6 packs and are both overweight according to BMI and one of them can't even bench 300. I would hardly call that a bodybuilder.