Cyclists: Strava or MapMyRide?

Options
Which do you use? I've been a free version MapMyRide user for years. Now I am looking for the paid version because I want to add heart rate data. Strava is much more expensive, but also seems easier to connect with others and seems to be a more popular choice. I've only tried it out a few times. What are your experiences? Which do you use?

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I use the free Strava app but it also gets HR data via my Garmin.

Strava suits my self-competitive nature and I really like the features - never felt the need to upgrade to the paid version.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Neither, I'd use Strava if either of them were of interest to me. I don't think Map My Ride offers anything of real value for cyclists and their user interface is needlessly cluttered.
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I use Strava - I find the segments quite a useful training tool.
  • tcaley4
    tcaley4 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    MapMyRide - paid version. Just because I wanted to add heart rate also.
  • ConicalFern
    ConicalFern Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Strava - you can see HR, but no detailed analysis. Not sure of your device but if you want to see that just use Garmin connect. If you're in doubt use the free version of Strava and see how you get on and often there are free trials of premium you can take advantage of.

Strava is a lot more widely used than MMR and such there are more segments and more people to beat up them :) It's only a small thing but I really like the training diary feature too.

se4hgh84tfco.jpg
  • amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    @ConicalFern, that training log is neat! I always sign in on mobile, so I didn't know about it. That's pretty cool! It sounds like Strava is the more popular choice. I've been using MapMyRide since 2009, so I have a lot of history there, but it looks like it might be time to cross over. I can import my heart rate data over to Strava's free version, but I am really into the zones, which is paid only. Not sure if the expense is worth just for that one feature, however.
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Analytics? TRIMP? Try Golden Cheetah, www.goldencheetah.org, it's free and you can analyze your data in whatever way you see fit. Most of the out-of-the-box analytics are for power but there's plenty for HR.

I use Strava (free) to compare stats against guys I ride with.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    My husband uses Strava.

For maps, I use Ride with GPS.
  • amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    @kcjchang I use a Sigma bike computer, but never liked software. Why didn't I know about Golden Cheetah before? That's awesome! Thanks!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Strava
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I use Strava Premium .... mixed with Garmin Connect and Training Peaks.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I like Strava. I have premium. I really like the "Fitness vs. Freshness" tool, and heatmaps. Heatmaps are awesome.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    I like the fitness vs freshness a lot too. I don't use Strava for it, there are several tools that give you that chart (Training Peaks, WKO, Golden Cheetah, Cycling Analytics). Most of them call it performance management chart but it's basically the same thing. However it's most convenient to look at, it's a fantastic tool.

Also like heat maps. :smile: I make my own with GIS software but Strava's global heatmap is a great way to find new places to ride.

http://labs.strava.com/heatmap/
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Strava Premium
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Strava
  • mikevfr
    mikevfr Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Runkeeper
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    Strava , garmin for the recording, and the stravistix strava plugin to get additional levels of analysis on the pc.

• pedermj2002
    pedermj2002 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Haven't used MapMyRide, but I do use Strava. I was using Runtastic Road Bike, and pretty quickly switched once somebody mentioned Strava to me.

I get to have better analysis of the grade I'm riding (was truly surprised by some of the hills near me), better functioning GPS (Runtastic had some corners where it would *not* track properly unless I stopped there and waited, thereby causing me to have wildly varying ride lengths because I'd lose 0.1mi every time I had to make a turn), and cleaner interface.

I haven't learned how to connect my Garmin Vivosmart HR+ to it for heart rate monitoring, and I don't have the bike computer yet either. I want to get both of those to help me figure out where I'm falling down more precisely (right now, I think I just need to take up strength training my legs in the gym to get better endurance, but I'm not sure).

Strava fits for me, very well. I'm happy enough with it to have paid for premium. Whichever you choose, I hope you get the same enjoyment out of it that I get out of Strava.

Good luck!
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    Neither. Garmin 910xt
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    I want to get both of those to help me figure out where I'm falling down more precisely (right now, I think I just need to take up strength training my legs in the gym to get better endurance, but I'm not sure).

Nope. That seems intuitive, but it's not how it works in the real world. Leg strength is not a limiting factor for cyclists. Ability to power your legs is.

Maybe you can leg press a thousand pounds, or whatever; you have a high 1 rep max. When you get on the bike you're not doing 1 rep. Ideally you're doing in the ballpark of 90 revolutions per minute. Entirely different things.

To improve your endurance, go out and do "LSD Rides," long slow distance. Try to never stop turning the pedals. The exertion shouldn't be more than "moderate." Your heart rate should be elevated but not terribly so, ideally in the aerobic zone (zone 2).