Should I push my calories higher?

Replies

• jvezzsb01
    jvezzsb01 Posts: 115 Member
    Ibtmas- that is great info. Thanks for sharing.
  • Firefly0606
    Firefly0606 Posts: 366 Member
    I do not even know how I EVER ate under 2000 calories. I had another little stop and think break after my last post (seem to be doing a few of those...)

Heybales - you are all over it, I realized that I do not need a reset as I have been eating more than TDEE so just need to find a number to cut to.

And ibtmas - thank you - I've settled on a number. TDEE being around 2600 - 2700 which includes getting in 1-2 heavy lifting workouts a week. This is not where my TDEE was in summer, but my stop and think break helped me to realize that what I'm actually achieving in the regular work out department and what I want to be achieving are two different things - and that's ok! So I set my calories at the actual marker, then if I do more I'm willing and able to add in a few more snacks to compensate.

Now that I'm typing that I don't know why that has been so hard to figure out.... :/

So I started a cut at 20% (I know, I know) and as YOU are about to tell me, that's too much. Well I only lasted 3 days before figuring that out. Seriously, I'm fighting off hunger pangs at 2150 - and I don't accept a reality anymore where hunger pangs are a necessary part of the process. So readjusting today to 2400, which is 10% cut, with the willingness to ADD MORE if I move more, and a focus on protein, water and fibre.

On a positive note - my time to figure out my mistakes is decreasing!! It only took me 3 days this time, last time 2 weeks, prior to that a few months, prior to reset my whole adult life...so I'm getting smarter ;)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Smarter every day - which is a good youtube channel too!

And that's whats nice with deficit like that - you may have a day with hard workout and want to eat more.
    may have a day with lots more walking and low level burn and can eat less but within reason.
    Balance.
  • empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Glad the 20% cut didn't last long!
    Why would you? There's no need!
    Don't you love the little epiphanies that happen along the way? We just have to give ourselves the space to think, just like you did.
    Ichel
    Team EM2WL
  • Firefly0606
    2 weeks in to 10% cut. Not having a meltdown or anything like that at the 2 week marker, on track and holding steady.

I look back over my first few attempts at cutting - I had no idea cutting would be hard. I guess I have come to a point where my body refuses to accept a large deficit. I am not just paying lip service to the slow cut mantra, I feel like I am beginning to understand now. Fat loss is going to take TIME.
  • ibtmas
    ibtmas Posts: 111 Member
    Yes it would take time and two weeks are not enough to expect any change in pics or inches. Be consistent for the next 4 weeks. I have ditched my scale and there was a time during my cut when i also ditched the measuring tape!! I take measurements every five to six week of cut after TOM and a rest day. What kept me doing was a dress which did not fit me before but fitted me after second cut without any change in measurements. Strange??!!
  • heybales
    Sadly measurements can't hit all spots, so good point about that even being a possible method without showing progress.
  • Firefly0606
    ibtmas wrote: »
    What kept me doing was a dress which did not fit me before but fitted me after second cut without any change in measurements. Strange??!!

That's the sort of progress I want to see!
  • heybales
    Just don't wash that dress in hot water!
  • ibtmas
    heybales wrote: »
    Just don't wash that dress in hot water!

Lolz true!!
  • Firefly0606
    At the 4 week marker of my cut. Nothing to report - which is ok, but slightly annoying. Thanks, body for not playing nice.

No change in weight, no change in measurements. Have been consistent up until this weekend just passed, hopefully just a slight blip in the map. Back on track today and going to hold steady.
  • zanyzana
    zanyzana Posts: 248 Member
    Keep plodding on. Sometimes it takes a second round of cut before anything happens on the scales. Or so I've read! How many weeks are you cutting for?
  • Firefly0606
    I'm aiming for 10 weeks. I had a couple of attempts at cutting that I only lasted a few weeks. In my last attempts I cut too much and half heartedly watched my macros. It feels like I can sustain my cut for the full 10 weeks this time.
  • zanyzana
    zanyzana Posts: 248 Member
    Go you! I lasted about 3 or 4 weeks when I tried last time, then freaked out a bit. Hopefully next time I'll be ready. Keep sharing how it goes - I'm interested in any tips on sustaining a cut. :)
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    10 is pretty long...
    Most people don't find anything happening until after a few rounds of cutting. Its diet mentality thinking that things would magically start vanishing the second we cut. And I was guilty of thinking it too... Hard one to get around:)... but most seem to find after 3-5 cuts is when differences are noticed more openly.

Kelly
    Team EM2WL
  • Firefly0606
    So what is an ideal length of time to cut?
    I have tried in the past and lasted 2-4 weeks. I didn't think I failed when nothing happened, but thought I could do better next time.
    Did some reading and thought 8-12 weeks was a good length of time. So I decided on 10 weeks.
    Does anyone have any set cut / maintenance cycles, or do you just cut until you don't feel like it anymore?
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Generally you dont want to give your body time to adjust to a lower calorie amount.. I usually stick to 6 weeks. If you do 10, just keep in mind you want to go back to maintenance for a solid 3-4 weeks following. if you take a lower time, usually you can do less time at maintenance..

Each cut you definitely learn more about yourself and the process. Im still learning, like right now Im learning that I dont like cutting in the summer time;)

Kelly
    Team EM2WL
  • kcmsmith0405
    kcmsmith0405 Posts: 259 Member
    Oooh 6 weeks makes the cut seem a lot easier, since I am cutting now too - now I have the bonus of being able to count down the weeks. I have to agree I am learning things about myself by cutting too. For one thing I am used to stretching out cuts until I can't do it anymore (and of course cutting way to much). This is the first cut for me since I started EM2WL in Feb.
    So how many weeks of maintenance do you do between cuts Kelly?
  • ibtmas
    Raynn1 wrote: »
    Generally you dont want to give your body time to adjust to a lower calorie amount.. I usually stick to 6 weeks. If you do 10, just keep in mind you want to go back to maintenance for a solid 3-4 weeks following. if you take a lower time, usually you can do less time at maintenance..

Each cut you definitely learn more about yourself and the process. Im still learning, like right now Im learning that I dont like cutting in the summer time;)

Kelly
    Team EM2WL

Yup! i have seen changes happening after 6 weeks and then there is a halt. After giving two cuts at 8 wks i am aiming for 6 this time.
  • empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    edited July 2017
    Yes I do the 6 week cut, 1 week maintenance. If you go longer at 8 weeks or so you want to make sure you do at least 2 weeks at maintenance.
    I prefer 6 weeks for my sanity :-)
    Ichel
    Team EM2WL