Culking Bishes!!! Winter2016 / Spring 2017

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I have days where I distinctly look bigger and leaner- and then days I look distinctly fluffier.

I assume it's blips and glugglugs of the human body going up and down.- and a lot to do with my carb and salt intake.

I never gave it much thought honestly- I just trust my numbers and keep pressing forward blindly LOL

I get the same thing, and after a lot of restriction and heavy monitoring of my sodium intake and S:P ratios, I can confidently say that it is 100% carb bloat. The amount of subcutaneous water that they can make me hold is interesting. It's not even always well reflected on the scale either.

For example, one of my lowest weigh-ins since starting my bulk had me looking soft and jiggly around the midsection. Two days ago was one of my highest, and my abs were showing through again, with only minor spots of squish around my lower back.

Conclusion? The human body can be wonky as hell.

Yep.

Unfortunately throw in for me female hormones and period bloat which unfortunately is a real thing- and I have days where I can barely stand to look at myself- it's just absurd. But- I trust the numbers and stumble forward blindly on my numbers- trusting that data never lies.

I've just been lurking on this thread, but knowing it's not just me who feels this right now has given me a little mental boost. I'm on my first ever bulk and my period is due and I wanted to cry when I looked in the mirror last night. But you're right. Just gotta trust the process and hold on until end of March.

That is indeed pretty much the whole point of this post. So I am very glad it helped you!!!
    How far are you into it? I find month 3 is consistently the worst. Add on that- my period and my bulk fall ALWAYS on my birthday- like- every goddamneffingyear- so I struggle through Jan/Feb.

but- you got this- you'll feel better in 3-4 weeks. I promise.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I have days where I distinctly look bigger and leaner- and then days I look distinctly fluffier.

I assume it's blips and glugglugs of the human body going up and down.- and a lot to do with my carb and salt intake.

I never gave it much thought honestly- I just trust my numbers and keep pressing forward blindly LOL

I get the same thing, and after a lot of restriction and heavy monitoring of my sodium intake and S:P ratios, I can confidently say that it is 100% carb bloat. The amount of subcutaneous water that they can make me hold is interesting. It's not even always well reflected on the scale either.

For example, one of my lowest weigh-ins since starting my bulk had me looking soft and jiggly around the midsection. Two days ago was one of my highest, and my abs were showing through again, with only minor spots of squish around my lower back.

Yep.

Unfortunately throw in for me female hormones and period bloat which unfortunately is a real thing- and I have days where I can barely stand to look at myself- it's just absurd. But- I trust the numbers and stumble forward blindly on my numbers- trusting that data never lies.

Good on you. That is one of those areas that's really hard for female strength athletes, from what I've read, and heard from talking to them. Most seem to freak out and cut their gains short. The majority of the rest either go into "*kitten* it" mode, and allow themselves to end up looking like stereotypical powerlifters, or actually manage to keep on as they were until a more appropriate time, peel fat back off, repeat.

thank you- it is tough- I am fortunate (or unfortunate) because I'm also a professional bellydancer- and I have custom costumes I've made for myself- I HAVE to fit into a certain range- so I can't ever just go "eff it" unless I want to pony up hundreds of dollars for more costumes- so- I can make it work in a rage- it's starting to get difficult- up by 180 I look really bad in my costumes LOL- but I eventually HAVE to come down so I can fit into the rest of them (I have fat costumes and skinny costumes)- it's hard. definitely hard.

But we persist. for the gainz.
  • jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Was unable to lift for the last two weeks due to a lower back strain so ate at maintenance for the period. Went back to a workout today & lower beck felt good. Back to bulking calories
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options

Yep.

I've just been lurking on this thread, but knowing it's not just me who feels this right now has given me a little mental boost. I'm on my first ever bulk and my period is due and I wanted to cry when I looked in the mirror last night. But you're right. Just gotta trust the process and hold on until end of March.

Ack! I am really feeling it too! It is my last period before I start cutting. I feel so incredibly fat and bloated right now. I have stayed away from the mirrors!

How have your lifts been? Have you had an increase in energy?
  • AMSmit88
    AMSmit88 Posts: 100 Member
    Options

Yep.

That is indeed pretty much the whole point of this post. So I am very glad it helped you!!!
    How far are you into it? I find month 3 is consistently the worst. Add on that- my period and my bulk fall ALWAYS on my birthday- like- every goddamneffingyear- so I struggle through Jan/Feb.

but- you got this- you'll feel better in 3-4 weeks. I promise.

I'm just into month 4. Had a huge leap on the scale this morning - logically I know it's period bloat (seriously start and be over already!) plus indulgent dinner last night so trying to keep my emotional brain in check - but that bish just wants to freak out haha!

Thanks for the pep talk though, much appreciated :)
  • AMSmit88
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »

Yep.

Ack! I am really feeling it too! It is my last period before I start cutting. I feel so incredibly fat and bloated right now. I have stayed away from the mirrors!

How have your lifts been? Have you had an increase in energy?

I feel like pulling some creepy Miss Haversham shiz on housemates and covering all the mirrors in the house, but I reckon they'd finally just have me committed...

Lift numbers are just going up and up and up. Deadlift looking particularly awesome; hit 80kg on Monday which I'm dead proud of. Also feeling way more energetic & perky. All the carbs at night are defo helping me sleep better too, which as a chronic under-sleeper is much welcomed. See! These are the things I need to focus on. Thank you!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited February 2017
    Options
    This thread has turned emotional.

tracey-covers-mouth.gif
  • AMSmit88
    edited February 2017
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

tracey-covers-mouth.gif

Oops, my bad :D
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Oh man I am obsessed with looking in mirrors when I am bulking, maybe I am odd that way... pose, flex, twist... ooo..ahhh... look at them gains... ;)
  • JoRocka
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Oh man I am obsessed with looking in mirrors when I am bulking, maybe I am odd that way... pose, flex, twist... ooo..ahhh... look at them gains... ;)

I get a little vapid at my dance studio- the lighting is SO GOOD. I'm like- OH LOOK SHOULDERS- SHOULDERS-SHOULDERS!!!

I disregard the fluff- but damn- I'm getting boulders- slowly but surely!
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options

I get a little vapid at my dance studio- the lighting is SO GOOD. I'm like- OH LOOK SHOULDERS- SHOULDERS-SHOULDERS!!!

Loving the positive no-shame body loving messages from you two this morning! My daughter (she's 7) recently told me her legs are fat and I was completely taken off guard. She's 7!! We had to have a long talk about all the awesome things her legs can do, which in turn makes them fabulous and beautiful.
  • bioklutz
    Options

Haha! I have been doing that - in the bathroom mirror - waist up only. I was trying to get a view of my back this morning while avoiding looking at my butt!
  • JoRocka
    Options
    leajas1 wrote: »

Loving the positive no-shame body loving messages from you two this morning! My daughter (she's 7) recently told me her legs are fat and I was completely taken off guard. She's 7!! We had to have a long talk about all the awesome things her legs can do, which in turn makes them fabulous and beautiful.

girls self esteem peaks between the ages of 7-9. now is an incredibly important time for you to support her and her body no matter what.
    I'm so happy you can be positive for her. You're a great mom- good job you.

side note- check out GRRRL clothing- they include a lot of women from a lot of sports- and have some kids involved as well. no I'm not a rep- I just truly believe in their product and their message.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

Aww, you are such a great role model and she is lucky to have a strong mama like you!
    When I was young, my little brother and I were play fighting one day, and I remember him saying to me "Wow Stef, you have Chun-Li legs!" I was actually so flattered and was all, yea... my legs are awesome, huge and strong like hers! I guess it helped to have positive kick-azz women as role models (even if they were video game characters)
  • leajas1
    Options

girls self esteem peaks between the ages of 7-9. now is an incredibly important time for you to support her and her body no matter what.
    I'm so happy you can be positive for her. You're a great mom- good job you.

side note- check out GRRRL clothing- they include a lot of women from a lot of sports- and have some kids involved as well. no I'm not a rep- I just truly believe in their product and their message.

Thanks, I'll check that out! She's very interested in joining Girls on the Run, but needs to be in third grade, so...next year. I really like their message as well. Since having daughters I've really had to work hard on how I think about/view/talk about my own body so I can be that role model, so it's just a win all the way around (although I wish I had done it for myself way before they came along, but better late than never).
  • leajas1
    Options

Aww, you are such a great role model and she is lucky to have a strong mama like you!
    When I was young, my little brother and I were play fighting one day, and I remember him saying to me "Wow Stef, you have Chun-Li legs!" I was actually so flattered and was all, yea... my legs are awesome, huge and strong like hers! I guess it helped to have positive kick-azz women as role models (even if they were video game characters)

Thanks! My mom did a pretty good job with me, but my grandmother, at 92 years old, wouldn't eat the crust on her pie because she was afraid of being "fat" (and she was rail thin).
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

Thanks! My mom did a pretty good job with me, but my grandmother, at 92 years old, wouldn't eat the crust on her pie because she was afraid of being "fat" (and she was rail thin).

To be fair to your grandmother, She grew up in a time when a fat woman was possibly screwed. Working women were virtually unheard of in her younger years, and if she'd have "let herself go" at an early age, he prospects for a decent life and much self-worth weren't too hot.

My grandmothers were much the same. One died well before it started becoming "okay" to be fat. The other...well, she got fat, and didn't start trying to correct until the beetus started killing her.
  • bioklutz
    Options

tracey-covers-mouth.gif

I am feeling better about myself. Sometimes I just like to vent. Apologies for my part in the girly feelings :wink:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »

tracey-covers-mouth.gif

I am feeling better about myself. Sometimes I just like to vent. Apologies for my part in the girly feelings :wink:

No worries, I am just messing around.
  • leajas1
    Options

To be fair to your grandmother, She grew up in a time when a fat woman was possibly screwed. Working women were virtually unheard of in her younger years, and if she'd have "let herself go" at an early age, he prospects for a decent life and much self-worth weren't too hot.

My grandmothers were much the same. One died well before it started becoming "okay" to be fat. The other...well, she got fat, and didn't start trying to correct until the beetus started killing her.

Oh, definitely! She needed to look good for her 5 husbands! (That's not true - she was married 5 times, but twice to my grandfather and twice to my step grandfather. Then there was that other guy that she would never talk about). But I digress....

@JoRocka The GRRRL clothing is awesome and the models look to be amazing athletes! All the ladies in my house will soon have a Fight Like a Girl shirt.