Culking Bishes!!! Winter2016 / Spring 2017

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    HA- 'lost al time"

cutting down to 165? that's lean. but you're making great progress! I love it.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    HA- 'lost al time"

cutting down to 165? that's lean. but you're making great progress! I love it.

I'll make that call once I see how I look on Wednesday, after my post-RFL refeed on Tuesday. I know I'll be running at least two weeks of maintenance-10% to balance hormones, but after that, if I'm not where I want to be, I'll run another two week hellcut.
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »
    Seth1825 wrote: »
    So- I officially started the last weekend in October/First of November.

I'm having a bit of an interesting transition period as I just got married- so meal prep and trying to get our house settled with the hubs in it is hard- I'm finding I'm constantly under eating (horrors)- but it's getting settled down.

I am essentially reversing out of my 1600-1700- calorie goal and the goal has currently been 1900-2000 calories for the last two weeks- I may hang here for another week- trying to go long and steady this bought.

Starting weight is approximately 165- (I need a new digital scale)
    End Goal is 190
    Measurements pending.
    Bulking cycle is planned Nov- April.
    Main goal is size this year not strength.
    Programing- is a 3 day hypertrophy split- lots of whole body with heavy lean on push/pull and sets of 12-15.

I'm pretty much doing a *kitten* job of making this scientific at all this year- but we shall see- I need a weekend to sit down and figure out where I am- size wise- and take some pictures before I start packing it on.

So I want to bulk. I originally was planning the same type of time frame just like you, however I'm starting to realize that in the world of bodybuilding slow and steady wins the race. If you try to gain 25 lbs in the time frame you want it's not really enough time. Basically if bulk until April and then cut for summer, you'll simply just end up right where you started, which is kind of what happened to me. Some of the articles I read said the same thing. If you take an entire year to bulk and slowly gain the weight, you can then maintain for awhile and then start slowly cutting. What do others think about this idea? So far how is your progress going?

You are going to end up gaining fat along with muscle. If you gain weight slower you can try to minimize the amount of fat you gain but it is at the expense of not reaching the potential amount of muscle you can gain per month. It really is personal preference.

What lifting program are you running? Does it have progressive overload built in?

I am currently doing a similar program to Strength/Hypertrophy lifting and hit each body part twice a week, working out 5 days a week, each week I try to do either more reps or more weight. That's a good point you make about the muscle gain. So maybe a year of bulking is too long?
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »
    So- I officially started the last weekend in October/First of November.

I'm having a bit of an interesting transition period as I just got married- so meal prep and trying to get our house settled with the hubs in it is hard- I'm finding I'm constantly under eating (horrors)- but it's getting settled down.

I am essentially reversing out of my 1600-1700- calorie goal and the goal has currently been 1900-2000 calories for the last two weeks- I may hang here for another week- trying to go long and steady this bought.

Starting weight is approximately 165- (I need a new digital scale)
    End Goal is 190
    Measurements pending.
    Bulking cycle is planned Nov- April.
    Main goal is size this year not strength.
    Programing- is a 3 day hypertrophy split- lots of whole body with heavy lean on push/pull and sets of 12-15.

I'm pretty much doing a *kitten* job of making this scientific at all this year- but we shall see- I need a weekend to sit down and figure out where I am- size wise- and take some pictures before I start packing it on.

So I want to bulk. I originally was planning the same type of time frame just like you, however I'm starting to realize that in the world of bodybuilding slow and steady wins the race. If you try to gain 25 lbs in the time frame you want it's not really enough time. Basically if bulk until April and then cut for summer, you'll simply just end up right where you started, which is kind of what happened to me. Some of the articles I read said the same thing. If you take an entire year to bulk and slowly gain the weight, you can then maintain for awhile and then start slowly cutting. What do others think about this idea? So far how is your progress going?

You are going to end up gaining fat along with muscle. If you gain weight slower you can try to minimize the amount of fat you gain but it is at the expense of not reaching the potential amount of muscle you can gain per month. It really is personal preference.

What lifting program are you running? Does it have progressive overload built in?

I am currently doing a similar program to Strength/Hypertrophy lifting and hit each body part twice a week, working out 5 days a week, each week I try to do either more reps or more weight. That's a good point you make about the muscle gain. So maybe a year of bulking is too long?

Really that would be up to you and how you feel about yourself. You might find this article interesting: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/initial-body-fat-and-body-composition-changes.html
  • Gallowmere1984
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Strength finally fell off a bit this morning. Could just be a crap day, or the cut finally catching up with me...or the fact that I am stubborn and still insist upon lifting about 33% more often than Lyle's recommended max.

Either way, no big deal. Just today, Sunday and Monday, then it's refeed time, then off to maintenance land for a couple of weeks.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Strength finally fell off a bit this morning. Could just be a crap day, or the cut finally catching up with me...or the fact that I am stubborn and still insist upon lifting about 33% more often than Lyle's recommended max.

Either way, no big deal. Just today, Sunday and Monday, then it's refeed time, then off to maintenance land for a couple of weeks.

D). All of the above?

Hopefully one day...
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

D). All of the above?

Hopefully one day...

Could very well be. It's just so damned hard to gauge due to normal fluctuations. I've had days on 1200 kcals where I was ripping weight off the floor, that felt nearly impossible to move when on 3200+.

I've finally learned to accept that some sessions will just suck *kitten*, no matter what.
  • JoRocka
    Options

D). All of the above?

Hopefully one day...

Could very well be. It's just so damned hard to gauge due to normal fluctuations. I've had days on 1200 kcals where I was ripping weight off the floor, that felt nearly impossible to move when on 3200+.

I've finally learned to accept that some sessions will just suck *kitten*, no matter what.

I think that's the thing- we rely heavily on food and all these things- and they definitely help- but I think there are just some days that are s**t. refeed. you'll feel better. :)

I'm about done bulking- I just have been so busy- and getting enough food has been a joke- so I will see what I can do this week- but I'm about done- would like to do pictures this weekend- maybe I can get it done tomorrow when we are off form the snow storm. wouldn't that be nice.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

D). All of the above?

Hopefully one day...

I think that's the thing- we rely heavily on food and all these things- and they definitely help- but I think there are just some days that are s**t. refeed. you'll feel better. :)

I'm about done bulking- I just have been so busy- and getting enough food has been a joke- so I will see what I can do this week- but I'm about done- would like to do pictures this weekend- maybe I can get it done tomorrow when we are off form the snow storm. wouldn't that be nice.

I just ended my 11 day cut this morning. Got to a passable level, so I'm hitting that refeed, the two weeks at maintenance-10%, then I'll make a call from there. I'd like to see about 3-5% lower bodyfat before I get into another surplus.
    This morning:t674ypvi11xv.jpg
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Thank god it's jelly bean season... great preworkout.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options

D). All of the above?

Hopefully one day...

Yeah I understand. I feel like some special snowflake. I usually gain strength on a cut and lose it on a bulk. Lol.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

I just killed a bag this weekend- so delicious- I need to get them in before I start cutting- fat kid problems- one of the few foods I cannot stop eating.
  • psuLemon
    Options

I just killed a bag this weekend- so delicious- I need to get them in before I start cutting- fat kid problems- one of the few foods I cannot stop eating.

I luckily can eat them on my cut.. and Welch's just came out with some that taste like fruit snacks... OMG delicious. And i might also have a bag of starburst, sweettart and jelly bellys.
  • JoRocka
    Options

I luckily can eat them on my cut.. and Welch's just came out with some that taste like fruit snacks... OMG delicious. And i might also have a bag of starburst, sweettart and jelly bellys.

I'm a purist- I don't want the fancy flavors- OR the fruit ones. I just want boring old jelly beans.

They shouldn't taste like things- they should just taste like jelly sugar. LOL

So- taking the day off tomorrow to spend with hubs- looking like I'm going to do a lift and maybe we'll do sushi- but- going to eat ALL THE THINGS- then I guess I'll start cutting on Saturday. Sigh.
  • psuLemon
    edited March 2017
    Options

I'm a purist- I don't want the fancy flavors- OR the fruit ones. I just want boring old jelly beans.

So- taking the day off tomorrow to spend with hubs- looking like I'm going to do a lift and maybe we'll do sushi- but- going to eat ALL THE THINGS- then I guess I'll start cutting on Saturday. Sigh.

So you like the brach's jelly beans... because that is OG.

And have fun with the hubby and sushi..
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I think the woman at the checkout today thought I was a little odd.. cart was piled with candy, chocolate, ice cream, chocolate cereal, cookies, whipped cream... plus bok choy, cucumbers, bananas and lettuce. Haha. I have 1.5 months left of this bulk, I really need to get those cals in.
  • JoRocka
    Options

So you like the brach's jelly beans... because that is OG.

And have fun with the hubby and sushi..

that is exactly correct. Brachs is where it's at.

I just found out my consultant is coming tomorrow- I kept thinking it was next week- and they live far away- soooooooooooooo
    so much for a day off. :(
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I have bought many a hauls of Easter candy already this year. Waiting for someone to ask me about my non existent children lol.
    One cashier had the nerve to comment on my 5 Oz Twix egg "Is this a giant Twix?" Yep. "Eww, I hate Twix."
    Lucky for her she didn't have to eat it I guess?
    Although the giant Reeses Egg was much better, but still. I am also in love with Milka chocolate bars right now, and spending too much money to get them off Amazon. :D
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I think the woman at the checkout today thought I was a little odd.. cart was piled with candy, chocolate, ice cream, chocolate cereal, cookies, whipped cream... plus bok choy, cucumbers, bananas and lettuce. Haha. I have 1.5 months left of this bulk, I really need to get those cals in.

I know the feeling. Re-feed days shops are the most fun! "ooh that has carbs, in the basket it goes".
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I have bought many a hauls of Easter candy already this year. Waiting for someone to ask me about my non existent children lol.
    One cashier had the nerve to comment on my 5 Oz Twix egg "Is this a giant Twix?" Yep. "Eww, I hate Twix."
    Lucky for her she didn't have to eat it I guess?
    Although the giant Reeses Egg was much better, but still. I am also in love with Milka chocolate bars right now, and spending too much money to get them off Amazon. :D

"good thing I'm not asking you to eat it for me?"
    who says that.

effing food shamers. side eye.