Options

Replies

• leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    leajas1 wrote: »
    fernt21 wrote: »
    I definitely agree with figuring out TDEE you have to do this by trial and error. I'm 5'6 and 115 lbs and my maintenance TDEE is about 2800, every calculator i used way undershot this, likely because I underestimate my activity level. In order to gain i have to eat >3000 calories, currently I'm having trouble with this, not so much from a food standpoint, really all i need to do is add 1 more TBSP of PB to my toast and 1 more to make shake, it's more a mental struggle. Something about that breaking that 3000 line.

All the calculators I did had me at a little under 1900, but I'm finding 2500 is my sweet spot for an average of a 0.5 gain/week.

So maintenance for you is around 2250. Calculators are a good guide but they aren't individualised.

Right. It worked out in my favor this time. The thought of bulking at just 1900 made me sad.

That would be a very depressing thought for a bulk. Are you finding that you are making lean (ish) gains at the moment?

I think so? I've gained 3.6 lbs in 7 weeks. I don't feel gross and I can still see abs (although I'm usually leanest in that area even with a higher body fat, so I think that's just genetics).
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree with figuring out TDEE you have to do this by trial and error. I'm 5'6 and 115 lbs and my maintenance TDEE is about 2800, every calculator i used way undershot this, likely because I underestimate my activity level. In order to gain i have to eat >3000 calories, currently I'm having trouble with this, not so much from a food standpoint, really all i need to do is add 1 more TBSP of PB to my toast and 1 more to make shake, it's more a mental struggle. Something about that breaking that 3000 line.

All the calculators I did had me at a little under 1900, but I'm finding 2500 is my sweet spot for an average of a 0.5 gain/week.

So maintenance for you is around 2250. Calculators are a good guide but they aren't individualised.

Right. It worked out in my favor this time. The thought of bulking at just 1900 made me sad.

That would be a very depressing thought for a bulk. Are you finding that you are making lean (ish) gains at the moment?

I think so? I've gained 3.6 lbs in 7 weeks. I don't feel gross and I can still see abs (although I'm usually leanest in that area even with a higher body fat, so I think that's just genetics).

I'm sure many people (myself included) will be incredibly jealous to hear that! 0.5lbs a week and not looking or feeling gross sounds spot on.
  • leajas1
    Options

I'm sure many people (myself included) will be incredibly jealous to hear that! 0.5lbs a week and not looking or feeling gross sounds spot on.

Thanks! I realized something this weekend. I was getting freaked out before I started (this is my first bulk) because my goal is to get up to around 140 lbs (I started at 125) and historically at 140 lbs I've been very unhappy with my body. But this will be the first time ever I'll be at 140 lbs with the amount of muscle I have so my body shape will be completely different. I'm actually very interested to see what 140 looks like on me now. I'm getting more wrapped up in the science and experimenting of it all than anything else, so this is turning out to be fun, not the anxiety provoking experience I thought it would be. Of course, I may be singing a different tune with another 5 lbs, but...day by day, I guess.
  • leajas1
    Options

Thanks! I realized something this weekend. I was getting freaked out before I started (this is my first bulk) because my goal is to get up to around 140 lbs (I started at 125) and historically at 140 lbs I've been very unhappy with my body. But this will be the first time ever I'll be at 140 lbs with the amount of muscle I have so my body shape will be completely different. I'm actually very interested to see what 140 looks like on me now. I'm getting more wrapped up in the science and experimenting of it all than anything else, so this is turning out to be fun, not the anxiety provoking experience I thought it would be. Of course, I may be singing a different tune with another 5 lbs, but...day by day, I guess.

One piece of advice from someone who has chased a number on the scale before; don't do it. Weight is an arbitrary value and you picked your goal when you were 15lbs lighter. Go by how you look/feel and adjust your goal as you progress.

I was chasing a PB powerlifting total and kept eating to fuel that, it wasn't a pretty sight at the end.

Thank you. I'll take any advice I can get from you all who have experience, and that makes total sense.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    The scale is just a tool and a reference point to help you gauge if you're trajectory is on the right path.

I personally LIKE using it to make sure I"m not over doing it/under doing it (very common)- but ultimately Trigden is right- the actual number is irrelevant- it's just a number. How you function and feel and look are more relevant most of the time- but a scale is a useful tool never the less.
  • leajas1
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    The scale is just a tool and a reference point to help you gauge if you're trajectory is on the right path.

I personally LIKE using it to make sure I"m not over doing it/under doing it (very common)- but ultimately Trigden is right- the actual number is irrelevant- it's just a number. How you function and feel and look are more relevant most of the time- but a scale is a useful tool never the less.

Thank you! Yes, I do love seeing that graph trend go up based on daily weigh-ins - it lets me know I'm doing something right. But I definitely need to work on getting in touch with listening to my body - it's an ongoing goal. My ultimate goal is to be an intuitive eater, but I wonder if that's possible when you're cutting/bulking? Maybe when it comes to food choice it can be?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I'll be jumping on this train in about a month. My first bulk turned into a 2.5 lbs. per week fulk at 2800 kcal/day, even lifting seven days per week. Yeah, I picked up a good amount of lean mass (went from 150 to 177 at 5'10" in a couple of months), but way too much fat in the process.

Luckily, it wasn't as bad as it could have been, as I'd been completely detrained for three years, so I was riding the noob gains train all over again. So this time, I'll be coming off of a hard two week cut, two weeks at maintenance to stabilize the hormone levels, then a slowly increasing surplus.

I don't possess the "don't fear fat" mentality after spending 90% of my life as morbidly obese, so anything more than a half mm per month on the calipers is going to piss me off and make me ease off of the caloric throttle this time.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

Thank you! Yes, I do love seeing that graph trend go up based on daily weigh-ins - it lets me know I'm doing something right. But I definitely need to work on getting in touch with listening to my body - it's an ongoing goal. My ultimate goal is to be an intuitive eater, but I wonder if that's possible when you're cutting/bulking? Maybe when it comes to food choice it can be?

For me, intuitive eating is definitely easier when cutting or maintaining especially when you are calorie aware and in tune with your hunger cues. When bulking, uch, it is hard. I am trying to do it right now. I freakin hate hate hate tracking my food, I just can't be bothered. I am gaining but not as much/fast as I would like. Sometimes goals>convenience, so I may have to start logging again.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I'm eating pie for food today. Blackberry with a little raspberry and apple pies. With home made whip cream. NOMNOMNOM.

It's f**king game on for calories this weekend!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    I'm eating pie for food today. Blackberry with a little raspberry and apple pies. With home made whip cream. NOMNOMNOM.

Jealous!
  • leajas1
    Options

I'm tempted to start today as well, but I'm going to try to keep it to tomorrow and Friday. And there will be no logging.
  • leajas1
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

For me, intuitive eating is definitely easier when cutting or maintaining especially when you are calorie aware and in tune with your hunger cues. When bulking, uch, it is hard. I am trying to do it right now. I freakin hate hate hate tracking my food, I just can't be bothered. I am gaining but not as much/fast as I would like. Sometimes goals>convenience, so I may have to start logging again.

I'm finding it easier to eat what I want during the bulk. It's not a easy for me when cutting, although I've learned to only eat the foods I like. When I'm cutting I eat when it's time, not based on hunger (because that's most of the time).
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

F.
    U.

/not serious

• JoRocka
    Options

I'm tempted to start today as well, but I'm going to try to keep it to tomorrow and Friday. And there will be no logging.

I usually log- mostly because I want to try to see how much food I can actually eat. 4K minimum. In the past we used to do a Food challenge- I tried for 6 K the first time and fell woefully short. 4K was more realistic and I think I still came in at like 3500. It was pathetic. And I was *kitten* trying.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

I usually log- mostly because I want to try to see how much food I can actually eat. 4K minimum. In the past we used to do a Food challenge- I tried for 6 K the first time and fell woefully short. 4K was more realistic and I think I still came in at like 3500. It was pathetic. And I was *kitten* trying.

I think the most I've managed in a day was around 6k, but I could have gone a lot harder if not for the fact that 4500 of that was within a three hour cheat window.
  • leajas1
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

F.
    U.

/not serious

I laughed even before I scrolled down. All that weight is in my upper arms (when I'm not careful) and in my *kitten* all the time, but not in a good way. It's all cellulite back there even when I'm under 20% body fat. So....
  • leajas1
    Options

Love it. Wishing you luck on hitting the big 6k this year. You can do it!
  • JoRocka
    Options

I think the most I've managed in a day was around 6k, but I could have gone a lot harder if not for the fact that 4500 of that was within a three hour cheat window.

6K is a LOT of food. Most people have no concept of what it is.

I'm happy with 4K
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

6K is a LOT of food. Most people have no concept of what it is.

I'm happy with 4K

Last saturdays re-feed ended at 12.5k calories for me.

And I could have eaten more. Oops