Is It Over Yet? The Perimenopause Thread

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,835 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I hate to tell you this @ronjsteele1 , but if you're perimenopausal, carb cravings are going to to be the least of your problems.

Brain fog: I put the remote in the fridge the other day...

Is nausea a normal peri-menopausal thing? I was working out this morning and just started feeling nauseated as all get out. I NEVER have had that happen. Ugh.

I had been going through minor hot flashes during the day, and then a big one hit and pretty much knocked me over. Then there were minor ones for the next 24-hours or so.

So, like earthquakes then? ;)

Funnily enough, I've actually been in a couple minor earthquakes ... the ones where things sway a bit and doors bang ... and the perimenopause pre-period dizziness is a bit like that. You just feel really disorientated for a few moments.

And then ... the aftershocks. :grin:

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I hate to tell you this @ronjsteele1 , but if you're perimenopausal, carb cravings are going to to be the least of your problems.

Is nausea a normal peri-menopausal thing? I was working out this morning and just started feeling nauseated as all get out. I NEVER have had that happen. Ugh.

It is for me ... dizziness and nausea.

Often in the 2-3 days leading up to a period and first day of a period ... I go through waves of dizziness, then I feel nauseated for a while, then more dizziness, then I'm OK for a bit, and then it's back. I have a box of ginger tablets in my desk drawer, another one at home, and a sheet of them in my backpack. They do help somewhat.

Just recently, I've also started experiencing dizziness and nausea connected with hot flashes. Had to go home from a party early because I couldn't stand up just recently. And no, I did not have any alcohol to drink ... I haven't touched alcohol in over a year. I had been going through minor hot flashes during the day, and then a big one hit and pretty much knocked me over. Then there were minor ones for the next 24-hours or so.
    You just described my last 5 years. Dizziness, UGH. The hot flash/nausea thing. UGH.

My OBGYN has suggested that *some* of it may be blood sugar related. Apparently that's common in peri.

But yes, for many years my hot flashes were not "regular", and not frequent (thank God), but were the dizzy, hot, nauseous kind, and related to my cycle.

Now, truly menopausal, they are the standard kind, and though more frequent, it's actually preferable.

The dizzy part is weird, it's like... my eyes and my brain are out of sync. No other way to describe it.

Good luck!

• SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options

I had been going through minor hot flashes during the day, and then a big one hit and pretty much knocked me over. Then there were minor ones for the next 24-hours or so.

So, like earthquakes then? ;)

Afterflashes? ;)

On the (thankfully!) few occasions that I've had hot flashes, I've felt dizzy with them too.
  • Machka9
    Options

Often in the 2-3 days leading up to a period and first day of a period ... I go through waves of dizziness, then I feel nauseated for a while, then more dizziness, then I'm OK for a bit, and then it's back. I have a box of ginger tablets in my desk drawer, another one at home, and a sheet of them in my backpack. They do help somewhat.

Just recently, I've also started experiencing dizziness and nausea connected with hot flashes. Had to go home from a party early because I couldn't stand up just recently. And no, I did not have any alcohol to drink ... I haven't touched alcohol in over a year. I had been going through minor hot flashes during the day, and then a big one hit and pretty much knocked me over. Then there were minor ones for the next 24-hours or so.
    You just described my last 5 years. Dizziness, UGH. The hot flash/nausea thing. UGH.

My OBGYN has suggested that *some* of it may be blood sugar related. Apparently that's common in peri.

But yes, for many years my hot flashes were not "regular", and not frequent (thank God), but were the dizzy, hot, nauseous kind, and related to my cycle.

Now, truly menopausal, they are the standard kind, and though more frequent, it's actually preferable.

The dizzy part is weird, it's like... my eyes and my brain are out of sync. No other way to describe it.

Good luck!

That's a good description ... like my eyes and my brain are out of sync. :) Happened today when I was out walking. All of a sudden the eyes and brain didn't sync up and on a smooth footpath, I stumbled and nearly fell over. A few deep breaths and I was OK again, but it's really disconcerting.

I've been doing this since about 2011 ... so I'm kind of over it already.

For a while there it was happening with every single period (just prior to my periods), and then about a year ago, it eased up and now I might be OK for a period or two, and then get it for the next couple, and so on.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    It seems like, when I compare myself to what many of you are experiencing, that I don't have that many symptoms of perimenopause (relatively speaking). I think I've probably had a couple of hot flashes (but I'm not sure someone else would call them hot flashes), I don't have the dizziness, etc. Other then the wave of nausea while working out the other day I've never had that either. Hmmmm. Other then my hormones (mostly emotional) being all over the place, maybe I'm not as far into perimenopause as I thought. Except I wouldn't think I would have missed a cycle if I weren't???? This stuff is enough to drive a person nuts! Wait! Isn't nuts, crazy, insane a sign of perimenopause? :D:p:s
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    not_my_first_rodeo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    It seems like, when I compare myself to what many of you are experiencing, that I don't have that many symptoms of perimenopause (relatively speaking). I think I've probably had a couple of hot flashes (but I'm not sure someone else would call them hot flashes), I don't have the dizziness, etc. Other then the wave of nausea while working out the other day I've never had that either. Hmmmm. Other then my hormones (mostly emotional) being all over the place, maybe I'm not as far into perimenopause as I thought. Except I wouldn't think I would have missed a cycle if I weren't???? This stuff is enough to drive a person nuts! Wait! Isn't nuts, crazy, insane a sign of perimenopause? :D:p:s

From what I am hearing as I talk to other women, it's just like menstruation in that everyone has a different experience.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

I first missed a cycle about 6 years ago... a few, in fact. Then they came back for a few years.
    I didn't really have regular hot flashes until my period stopped. Just the nausea/dizziness kind.
    Everyone's different I guess.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Good luck!

That's a good description ... like my eyes and my brain are out of sync. :) Happened today when I was out walking. All of a sudden the eyes and brain didn't sync up and on a smooth footpath, I stumbled and nearly fell over. A few deep breaths and I was OK again, but it's really disconcerting.

For a while there it was happening with every single period (just prior to my periods), and then about a year ago, it eased up and now I might be OK for a period or two, and then get it for the next couple, and so on.

I was hoping progesterone would stop the dizziness. It didnt. Now I'm hoping bio-identical estrogen will. :smile: Check in with me later!
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options

Good luck!

That sounds awful. What you are describing sounds a lot how excess prostaglandin feels. Well, prostaglandin causes major muscle contraction, so also uterine/bowel cramps. But the low blood sugar makes sense. A lot of sense.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »

Good luck!

That sounds awful. What you are describing sounds a lot how excess prostaglandin feels. Well, prostaglandin causes major muscle contraction, so also uterine/bowel cramps. But the low blood sugar makes sense. A lot of sense.

Yes, apparently blood sugar issues are VERY common in perimenopause.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    What does the OBGYN suggest? Is there a way to influence it with diet?
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »

Good luck!

Yes, apparently blood sugar issues are VERY common in perimenopause.

I just received a preventative care reminder from our insurance company the other day that outlines what tests you should have when, and it mentioned having blood sugar levels checked around 50. I wondered why that was- maybe this is why.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I just received a preventative care reminder from our insurance company the other day that outlines what tests you should have when, and it mentioned having blood sugar levels checked around 50. I wondered why that was- maybe this is why.

More then likely because that is the age a lot of people start putting on "older age" weight which can lead to diabetes. They usually check glucose and A1C around that age.
  • Machka9
    edited January 2017
    Options

Good luck!

I was hoping progesterone would stop the dizziness. It didnt. Now I'm hoping bio-identical estrogen will. :smile: Check in with me later!

I can't take any hormones, so whatever happens, I'm kind of on my own.

I control various symptoms with a collection of other things including evening primrose oil, valerian, ginkgo biloba, vit B12, vit D, and magnesium. And ginger tablets for the nausea. I am aware of a few other things I could try as well if the symptoms get any worse, but I'm holding them in reserve till then.

And my gynaecological oncologist (I've got pre-cancer of the female parts) has suggested a serotonin-based product which may help with the hot flashes if they get bad enough, but he'd rather not put me on that one until the situation gets really bad.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Good luck!

I control various symptoms with a collection of other things including evening primrose oil, valerian, ginkgo biloba, vit B12, vit D, and magnesium. And ginger tablets for the nausea. I am aware of a few other things I could try as well if the symptoms get any worse, but I'm holding them in reserve till then.

And my gynaecological oncologist (I've got pre-cancer of the female parts) has suggested a serotonin-based product which may help with the hot flashes if they get bad enough, but he'd rather not put me on that one until the situation gets really bad.

Those new Serotonin hot flash meds are getting great reviews. Good luck!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    yayamom3 wrote: »
    So yesterday, I tried to make my kids some beer bread, which I've made hundreds of times and is seriously a no-brainer. Or so I thought. I first made a double batch, then realized I had used cornstarch instead of baking powder. Threw the dough out. I made the next batch, only I couldn't remember how many cups of flour I had added. I decided to add one more cup, and the dough seized up. Dang! Threw that batch out. Finally four cans of beer, a sink full of dishes and multiple curse words later, I managed to bake one loaf of the easiest bread on earth. I'm chalking this one up to perimenopause.

HA! Brain farts are the new black! I sometimes try to use my key remote for the car to open the door to the house. Also I once poured milk instead of water. Good times!

Well, my male OH does this so you can't blame perimenopause ;)
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options

Good luck!

I just started SAM-e (OTC) which helps with neurotransmitters, blood sugar regulation and mild depression (not recommended for manic depressive though). I just started it and am seeing some promising results. It is safe but be careful if anyone is taking antidepressants because it will increase the effects. So see a physician in that case.

It is recommended to take B-complex and folic acid supplements with it as they work well with it. My blood sugar went wonky in my early 40s, and I developed a muffin top which I never had in my life!

This 2017 year and beyond I am working to get into great physical shape! I see many on MFP who grabbed hold and achieved their goals no matter what age. We can do this!
  • Machka9
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »

Good luck!

I just started SAM-e (OTC) which helps with neurotransmitters, blood sugar regulation and mild depression (not recommended for manic depressive though). I just started it and am seeing some promising results. It is safe but be careful if anyone is taking antidepressants because it will increase the effects. So see a physician in that case.

It is recommended to take B-complex and folic acid supplements with it as they work well with it. My blood sugar went wonky in my early 40s, and I developed a muffin top which I never had in my life!

This 2017 year and beyond I am working to get into great physical shape! I see many on MFP who grabbed hold and achieved their goals no matter what age. We can do this!

Absolutely!

In 2015, I lost the weight.

In 2016, I got back into long distance cycling and did more than expected ... almost back to my mid-30s level of cycling.

Here's hoping I can accomplish even more this year. :)

And you too!
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    I'm now convinced that the sudden, almost uncontrollable hunger is a premenstrual thing! Last Tuesday I started out quite well but was really hungry for the last part of the day. All was then normal until Friday, when I suddenly got some crampy feelings mid afternoon and had started bleeding by the evening. (My last period was in October.)

It's been annoying me that I have no idea when I might expect a period these days, but I guess now I can use a "hungry day" as a guide to when one might be coming!
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    Yep. It took me a while to realize it was tied to my cycle also. I didn't feel so bad when I figured it out, because at first I figured I was just a shameless pig. I have gained a little control over it thankfully. A little that is. I manage to over eat by much less these days. It was horrid previously as I was having 3,000-4,000 calories a day. My goal is 1,400 so yeah. You could say I was packing it in. LOL!