naturopathic doctor experiences

Hi All, I just went to see a naturopaththic doctor for the first time to check it out, I was wondering if others have been and had good / bad experiences..

I was interested in her thoughts on weight loss, and ibs - a few issues I have. She recommended eating lower carb 50 -100 grams to help with both and I went for blood work for food sensitivity.. Not sure what I think of it but am certainly open minded to it, I have a follow up appt booked for when my blood work comes back.

I look forward to hearing about others experiences.

Replies

• Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    edited December 2016
    I see a traditional Chinese medicine doctor for my Crohn's, and she also instructed me to go low carb as well as unprocessed cooked foods. After seeing a bunch of dieticians and other doctors who gave me vague directions, or said that diet wouldn't help, she's the best thing that ever happened to me lol. I still take western meds and see my Gi doctor frequently , but going low carb (I do best around 100g) improved my quality of life the most. I hope you find whatever works for you.

Btw, my tcm dr is certified under the board of medicine in my state and had excellent reviews. That's why I went to see her. Going low carb is a good thing to try, but don't be afraid to ask questions and do your own research if there is something that doesn't seem right or is confusing.
  • charlenekapf
    charlenekapf Posts: 309 Member
    edited December 2016
    I agree with this. I foolishly spent money on all these supplements and was given contradicting advise by two different "holistic" practitioners I saw. They aren't completely naturopathic but it seems they all have their own beliefs influenced by whatever "guru" they follow. Some like Hyman others like Kresser, Mercola, Weil. Find what foods feel best with you and take their advice with a grain of salt. if you adhere to regimens they prescribe only to find yourself miserable, it ain't worth it.
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    The advice of going low carb isn't bad. Just don't buy into all the "remedies" with herbs they suggest.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • katthouse499
    katthouse499 Posts: 50 Member
    I have autoimmune and severe food sensitivities.. After years and years of tests and meds....no more I listened and educated myself as to what works for my body and knowing the things that triggers or sets off my sensitivities I don't touch them at all! I've learned to have things and either alter them or stay clear of them. Because of this I'm healthier now than I've ever been. Cheers and all my best
  • katthouse499
    katthouse499 Posts: 50 Member
    @ronjsteele1 I completely understand and have been there. My hats off to you it's not easy at all!!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    ogtmama wrote: »
    duddysdad wrote: »
    Be careful if they talk about homeopathic medicine as they must now state that it does not work, by law. I know the two are different, but just be careful about things like that.

Exactly. There is a difference between trying to stay as natural as possible and drinking shaken water for treatment.

Holistic/naturopathic -fine, do your own thing
    Homeopathy-run for the hills

NEVER shake the water! :noway:
  • VeganFaceHole
    VeganFaceHole Posts: 39 Member
    Wow. All you people are so rude towards naturopathic doctors. Maybe the one OP saw had an MD.
    And they weren't trying to sell OP anything, they just said to change her diet. Jeeze
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Sadly, it seems many do not know how to speak truth without being rude. There truly is a difference. I would agree with @VeganFaceHole. Most that express disagreement are rude. I include myself as having done this a few times as well. I realize there is no tone of voice in print media. A number of times people have said up front, "I'm trying not to sound rude" or something along those lines and it does help the reader to try and read in the spirit that something is said. It's not perfect but for sure the disagreements around here could be way more civil (myself included).
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    When a thread is entitled, "Naturopath doctor experiences" and openly solicits good/bad observations, that's pretty much what's going to occur.

Anyone is free to buy into whatever they think works for them, even if any benefit is mainly or entirely placebo-induced. But simply because many posts do not line up with Naturopathy being a viable practice does not in and of itself make them rude for saying so.

It does, however, make them honest.

The difference is in what side of the discussion the person reading those posts approaches it from. The issue often lies not in the content, but in the interpretation. :)
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    When a thread is entitled, "Naturopath doctor experiences" and openly solicits good/bad observations, that's pretty much what's going to occur.

Anyone is free to buy into whatever they think works for them, even if any benefit is mainly or entirely placebo-induced. But simply because many posts do not line up with Naturopathy being a viable practice does not in and of itself make them rude for saying so.

It does, however, make them honest.

The difference is in what side of the discussion the person reading those posts approaches it from. The issue often lies not in the content, but in the interpretation. :)

I would say the issue is the "tone of voice" that things are said with. Disagreements will forever occur and no two people will ever believe exactly the same things. But there is no illusion that when people are saying what they believe (usually disagreeing with anything natural) that there is any amount of civility most of the time.