Phentermine? New Direction?

Options
Anyone used the new direction meal shakes? Or been prescribed Phentermine? I start both tomorrow?

Replies

• Tealhearts70
    Tealhearts70 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I started on Phentermine two weeks ago. I have Hashi's Hypothyroid and chronic low iron requiring infusions. I lost 40 lbs from Jan to April just by using MFP. Then I hit the dreaded plateau. My Endo dropped my thyroid meds because I lost 40 lbs. That was a mistake! It was too much too soon and I quickly regained 30 lbs back.

Even logging and eating only healthy foods I couldn't get back on track with losing. So she prescribed the Phen. I started out taking half dose. It works too well for me! When I take it, I have trouble getting in 800 -1200 calories. I'm ok eating that much but then I struggle with getting in enough calories. When I don't take it I can't stay under the 1550 that MFP gives me. I walk 30 to 60 min 5 days a week. I'm active when my iron levels are where they should be. It's hard to do what my doctor is telling me.. she wants me to lose 4 lbs per week. While everyone on MFP says this is wrong. Good luck on your journey!
  • rosalie115
    rosalie115 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I've used Phentermine. Lost a lot then gained back with extra. Got to admit it helps curve the appetite but you must change your eating habits
  • CarolynSullivan1
    CarolynSullivan1 Posts: 5,914 Member
    Options
    I think I would be afraid to use it, just looking at the side affects.
    TealHearts I too have Hashimoto's, my thyroid has not started working right after MANY years of meds. I can't imagine going off of by generic Synthroid. I do Weight watchers and lost some wt, then wasn't able to lose, was gaining... even though I followed the plan. After going on synthroid, I was able to lose wt and have kept most of it off.
    It's not about my hunger anyway....
  • tgyurica
    tgyurica Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I started phentermine October 26th and have lost 21 lbs. I cut out sugar, starches, I try to stay under 10 carbs a day, cut out junk food, eat more protein than anything. And tons and tonssss of water. But it makes you not starving so it's easier to make better food choices. I also went from drinking alcohol almost every night to maybe once every 2 weeks. I feel so much better all around. First week was rough with migraines and sweating, the diet dr said it was from withdrawal from caffeine and carbs. But after 2 weeks I felt normal. and I am in a better mood and have more energy.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Phentermine doesn't make you lose weight. It helps with appetite but the weight loss is 100% based on you eating right and working out.

There was a study linked the last time someone asked about using it and it was said that for every 200Lbs people lost only an average of 5lbs more per year while on it. So your GP would need to weigh the pros and cons of you using this and there are many cons. Most people tend to gain back too, so i can't say if you should or shouldn't use it, only your GP can really figure out if your medical issues and weight are worth 5lbs extra per year. I decided not to go down this path and instead use MFP and change my lifestyle so that i can maintain weightloss.

Meal replacement shakes are a waste of money unless you don't have teeth. All they do is reduce your calories by making you eat them instead of food. You could just eat less food and you'd have the same outcome only you'll have more money and feel better,

When i first started losing weight i bought a meal replacement shake and i had NO idea what calorie counting was. Then after a month of the shakes and feeling horrible and weak, i got advice from MFP users. They showed me all the meals you could have for the same amount of calories as a shake and I was pretty impressed. I showed them my diary and they suggested i use a protein shake in the mornings and add a banana. Which was around 350 calories. The change was worth the money i saved. During the day i could eat all kinds of food and still lose weight.

actually weight loss is 100% a caloric deficit. you dont even have to exercise to lose weight.exercise is great for your health. but not needed for weight loss. as for eating right same thing. you dont have to eat right just eat less and you will lose,Im not suggesting eat nothing but junk,as "healthier" foods are better, but you can eat anything in moderation and still lose weight. as long as you are in a deficit thats all thats needed for weight loss.
  • MelonSodaz
    MelonSodaz Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Phentermine doesn't make you lose weight. It helps with appetite but the weight loss is 100% based on you eating right and working out.

There was a study linked the last time someone asked about using it and it was said that for every 200Lbs people lost only an average of 5lbs more per year while on it. So your GP would need to weigh the pros and cons of you using this and there are many cons. Most people tend to gain back too, so i can't say if you should or shouldn't use it, only your GP can really figure out if your medical issues and weight are worth 5lbs extra per year. I decided not to go down this path and instead use MFP and change my lifestyle so that i can maintain weightloss.

Meal replacement shakes are a waste of money unless you don't have teeth. All they do is reduce your calories by making you eat them instead of food. You could just eat less food and you'd have the same outcome only you'll have more money and feel better,

When i first started losing weight i bought a meal replacement shake and i had NO idea what calorie counting was. Then after a month of the shakes and feeling horrible and weak, i got advice from MFP users. They showed me all the meals you could have for the same amount of calories as a shake and I was pretty impressed. I showed them my diary and they suggested i use a protein shake in the mornings and add a banana. Which was around 350 calories. The change was worth the money i saved. During the day i could eat all kinds of food and still lose weight.

actually weight loss is 100% a caloric deficit. you dont even have to exercise to lose weight.exercise is great for your health. but not needed for weight loss. as for eating right same thing. you dont have to eat right just eat less and you will lose,Im not suggesting eat nothing but junk,as "healthier" foods are better, but you can eat anything in moderation and still lose weight. as long as you are in a deficit thats all thats needed for weight loss.

I don't think she is saying weightloss isn't a calorie deficit, love. I read her comment as, eat less move more and you won't need useless drugs.

• DietVanillaCoke
    DietVanillaCoke Posts: 259 Member
    Options

actually weight loss is 100% a caloric deficit. you dont even have to exercise to lose weight.exercise is great for your health. but not needed for weight loss. as for eating right same thing. you don't have to eat right just eat less and you will lose,Im not suggesting eat nothing but junk,as "healthier" foods are better, but you can eat anything in moderation and still lose weight. as long as you are in a deficit thats all thats needed for weight loss.

XD Well yes, I never meant "You must work out or weight loss is impossible!!!" Well i didn't mean for it to sound that way. Maybe i should have said "Even while using "Phentermine" You still need to make an effort in creating a calorie deficit for any change to happen.

Also when i say "eat right", I mean eat correctly, as in eat less, i didn't say eat clean, eat "healthy foods" eat paleo etc. A matter of fact i said "During the day i could eat all kinds of food and still lose weight" Pretty sure i ate a LOT of pizza.

I'm pretty sure OP didn't see this as eat clean, eat only this and work out until you're dead. It's just a basic broad statement which yes is vague but i didn't think it needed to be extremely specific.
  • MelonSodaz
    MelonSodaz Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I used something similar to Phentermine a few years ago. Was called something like Phen325. It helped with the hunger but it wasn't worth the amount I had to pay for it. I ended up trying another pill which gave me runny stools and leaking TMI. I lost 16lb on that one but the side effects took over my life so I joined Weight Watchers for a few months and dropped another 20lb. MFP is so far the best out of them all for me. I have support in many groups and I can keep an eye on what I eat and how much I burn with the apps on here. Welcome to MFP.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

actually weight loss is 100% a caloric deficit. you dont even have to exercise to lose weight.exercise is great for your health. but not needed for weight loss. as for eating right same thing. you don't have to eat right just eat less and you will lose,Im not suggesting eat nothing but junk,as "healthier" foods are better, but you can eat anything in moderation and still lose weight. as long as you are in a deficit thats all thats needed for weight loss.

XD Well yes, I never meant "You must work out or weight loss is impossible!!!" Well i didn't mean for it to sound that way. Maybe i should have said "Even while using "Phentermine" You still need to make an effort in creating a calorie deficit for any change to happen.

Also when i say "eat right", I mean eat correctly, as in eat less, i didn't say eat clean, eat "healthy foods" eat paleo etc. A matter of fact i said "During the day i could eat all kinds of food and still lose weight" Pretty sure i ate a LOT of pizza.

I'm pretty sure OP didn't see this as eat clean, eat only this and work out until you're dead. It's just a basic broad statement which yes is vague but i didn't think it needed to be extremely specific.

some of the newbies though will take eat right as eat healthy. some will see it as you have to cut out x,y,z. but yes even with meds you still have to be in a deficit but a lot of people dont know that. they think the pill is to help lose weight. I knew many women who thought that not so long ago.they werent members here either.so if they can think that weight loss can come from a pill without doing anything then others probably will too.OP may not have seen it this way,but Im sure some newbies might.just trying to help anyone who may come across the thread who may not know this is all.
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I am using it right now, have been on it for a few weeks. Seems to be helping decrease my appetite. I know a lot of people have negative things to say about it long term but just do your research and any concerns you may have talk to your doctor about
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I used something similar to Phentermine a few years ago. Was called something like Phen325. It helped with the hunger but it wasn't worth the amount I had to pay for it. I ended up trying another pill which gave me runny stools and leaking TMI. I lost 16lb on that one but the side effects took over my life so I joined Weight Watchers for a few months and dropped another 20lb. MFP is so far the best out of them all for me. I have support in many groups and I can keep an eye on what I eat and how much I burn with the apps on here. Welcome to MFP.

Was the leakage orange? There is a thread with some horrifying stories about that stuff. If it's the one I think it is.
  • Ceeceeann
    Ceeceeann Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've lost 15 pounds so far and have been following my diet and exercise routine.
  • Ceeceeann
    Ceeceeann Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

Was the leakage orange? There is a thread with some horrifying stories about that stuff. If it's the one I think it is.

I bet it's Ali
  • mhancocktv
    mhancocktv Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I LOVE phentermine! I feel amazing when I'm on it. Like... "how does my brain not function this way all the time?" I have so much energy, no interest in food, and I'm super-motivated and productive... and I lose weight like crazy. I wish I could feel like this all the time! I think to myself "Is this what 'normal' feels like to some people?" The down side? Every time I cycle-off, I begin to re-gain weight immediately. I've done it probably eight different times over 20+ years. Same thing happened to me with HCG, but without all the positive effects of phentermine. I wonder if Qsymia (adding topiramate with phentermine) would offer the same challenge? I'm going to talk with my doctor to see if I can take Qsymia with Wellbutrin.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    mhancocktv wrote: »
    I LOVE phentermine! I feel amazing when I'm on it. Like... "how does my brain not function this way all the time?" I have so much energy, no interest in food, and I'm super-motivated and productive... and I lose weight like crazy. I wish I could feel like this all the time! I think to myself "Is this what 'normal' feels like to some people?" The down side? Every time I cycle-off, I begin to re-gain weight immediately. I've done it probably eight different times over 20+ years. Same thing happened to me with HCG, but without all the positive effects of phentermine. I wonder if Qsymia (adding topiramate with phentermine) would offer the same challenge? I'm going to talk with my doctor to see if I can take Qsymia with Wellbutrin.

youve done it 8 times over 20 years?,yet obviously it didnt work or you wouldnt be here correct? you also said you have boundless energy and no interest in food aka moving more and a caloric deficit. not a healthy one most likely but a deficit none the less.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    mhancocktv wrote: »

The part I bolded: the answer is no, that's what speed feels like to most people. Seriously, it is very similar to amphetamine. As for adding it in with Topamax, it is frequently called Dopamax for a reason.

I'll defend Topomax, since the Dopomax side effects can wear off for some people over time.

However, I am on it for it a legit reason, not some off-label weight loss ish.

Carry on.