Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Do you get the same reaction with milk?
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I tend to drink lactose free milk (I actually prefer the taste!) I seem ok with cheese and yoghurt?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I tend to drink lactose free milk (I actually prefer the taste!) I seem ok with cheese and yoghurt?

My wife is similar.

Is your goal calories or protein? If the former, just add some chocolate or strawberry.
  • llaurenmarie
    llaurenmarie Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    This happened to me when Stevia was the powder's sweetener. I don't know if you're has a sweetener or not.
  • Snowdusk
    Snowdusk Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Whey protein makes me feel bloated too! I switched to a vegan protein powder + I feel great :) (I'm not a vegan though)
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

My wife is similar.

Is your goal calories or protein? If the former, just add some chocolate or strawberry.

Well,I guess it's calories really! Good idea -chocolate milk is my favourite :smile:
    This happened to me when Stevia was the powder's sweetener. I don't know if you're has a sweetener or not.

No,it's an unflavoured one. That's interesting about Stevia - I was hoping that would be OK as a lot of the vegan ones are sweetened with that!
    Whey protein makes me feel bloated too! I switched to a vegan protein powder + I feel great :) (I'm not a vegan though)

Which one do you use?
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Cylphin60 wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Here is a more thorough page about whey protein, with plenty of studies to back up their information if you care to dig that deep: https://examine.com/supplements/whey-protein/

Thank you. Pretty sure I was also overdosing too.
    Just out of curiosity, how close to your daily goal are you getting through your diet alone? I get pretty close most days, and with the lower number I'll probably hit it every day. I only use the powder those days when I'm short.

Yup- I've realised I can probably manage without,if I make the effort!

I remembered your thread and have to dive back in lol. I take back anything I said about no side effects. Talking to my better half I realized the semi chronic bloating and constipation I have started within 2 days of trying a new powder that I've been using 4-5 days a week.

It shouldn't take more than a couple of days without to find out if it's the culprit.

It's not a comfortable feeling lol.
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    Oh dear,you have my sympathy! I tried it again yesterday and wham,I look 10 months pregnant. I'm 61 - it's not a good look!
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    Oh dear,you have my sympathy! I tried it again yesterday and wham,I look 10 months pregnant. I'm 61 - it's not a good look!

That's something else! I bet you can switch up what ever powder you are using. Too bad they don't offer small samples. Sometimes with these products you can contact the manufacturer and they will reimburse you for what ever you paid, even without a sales receipt. That would make the trial and error phase much less costly.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options

Not with my hairy legs no! :D

I'm pretty sure that's what it is, as nothing else has changed. I do feel for you and hope you find some relief very soon. I wish I knew more to offer better suggestions for you!
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    Thank you - hope you feel better too!
  • pmhlb
    pmhlb Posts: 7 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Here is a more thorough page about whey protein, with plenty of studies to back up their information if you care to dig that deep: https://examine.com/supplements/whey-protein/

I am glad I found this thread. I have decided to significantly up my protein intake, and so I started my day with Protein Powder pancakes (Protein pdr with egg, egg whites, vanilla extract), which I made with Kaizen whey protein powder. Tasty, but now I am suffering with gut issues. I checked the label on the protein powder, and it said not to use if allergic to milk. :'( I did not think I was allergic to milk, but maybe I am.

Now the research begins. And any further suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks for starting this thread, Comptoneelizabeth !

• ravenellcrunch
    ravenellcrunch Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem and believe rapid absorption is the problem so I add my powder to a Smoothie instead.
  • comptonelizabeth
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Definitely try whey protein isolate - I've switched to that and now have very few problems :smile:

Edit : at first I thought it was still causing problems but think it just took my gut a while to calm down. No problems now.
  • shred2015
    shred2015 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    massive gains
  • Rhody_Hoosier
    Rhody_Hoosier Posts: 688 Member
    Options

Thanks for posting that link. Very good reading. Especially the specific effects on physiological function findings at the end.