Coffee and what goes in...

Options

Replies

• WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Late to the party. I use Organic Westsoy Unsweetened soymilk and no longer use sweetener but if I was then a dash of pure maple syrup. Coffee is only bad for you if you drink too much of it or load it with sugar and cream. I am a healthy eater and NOT giving up my cup of coffee. I like to get locally roasted coffee beans and grind them myself. French press makes it taste better too.

I prefer my coffee made with a French press too! Or a pour over. Home made cold brew is also very good!

I like my coffee black, but sometimes if I'm feeling frisky I'll have it with unsweetened soymilk and raw honey. I want to give the maple syrup a try now though just for fun :) .
  • WickAndArtoo
    Options

Sola[/quote]

I make my own creamer out of cashews. Soak cashews for about two hours (you could just boil for about 10mins). Add water, salt. This is your base. I'd say roughly one cup cashews, 1 1/2 cups water more or less depending on consistency. Beyond that you can add extract (I use vanilla) and/or sweetener (agave, dates). Blend till smooth. I strain mine to eliminate any "pieces" but you don't need to. A high powered blender works the best. Otherwise straining might be the better way to go. Let me know because I agree with you on the creamers that are out there. [/quote]

This sounds amazing I am going to try it!! I don't think I will strain mine though, I have a really good blender and hopefully it will still taste good!
  • aaamantor
    aaamantor Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try Trader Joe's Organic Soy Milk Creamer - it's delicious! It's organic and lactose and dairy-free and has only 15 calories, 1.5 grams of fat, and 1 gram of sugar per serving but be careful, it's easy to add more than one serving because really it's SO good.
  • charmurr
    charmurr Posts: 49 Member
    Options

Sola

I make my own creamer out of cashews. Soak cashews for about two hours (you could just boil for about 10mins). Add water, salt. This is your base. I'd say roughly one cup cashews, 1 1/2 cups water more or less depending on consistency. Beyond that you can add extract (I use vanilla) and/or sweetener (agave, dates). Blend till smooth. I strain mine to eliminate any "pieces" but you don't need to. A high powered blender works the best. Otherwise straining might be the better way to go. Let me know because I agree with you on the creamers that are out there. [/quote]

This sounds amazing I am going to try it!! I don't think I will strain mine though, I have a really good blender and hopefully it will still taste good!
    [/quote]

It'll taste fine. Actually I use a mesh strainer not a cheese cloth. Too thin. Have fun with it. I've also tried macadamia nuts but thought too grainy. Tasted fine.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I don't mind something milky once in a while from Starbucks or whatever but for some reason home coffee with half and half or creamer turns my stomach. I use a little milk and half a teaspoon or so of sugar, lately actually truvia.
  • WickAndArtoo
    Options
    charmurr wrote: »

Sola

I make my own creamer out of cashews. Soak cashews for about two hours (you could just boil for about 10mins). Add water, salt. This is your base. I'd say roughly one cup cashews, 1 1/2 cups water more or less depending on consistency. Beyond that you can add extract (I use vanilla) and/or sweetener (agave, dates). Blend till smooth. I strain mine to eliminate any "pieces" but you don't need to. A high powered blender works the best. Otherwise straining might be the better way to go. Let me know because I agree with you on the creamers that are out there.

[/quote]

It'll taste fine. Actually I use a mesh strainer not a cheese cloth. Too thin. Have fun with it. I've also tried macadamia nuts but thought too grainy. Tasted fine. [/quote]

So I was having a bowl of fruit for breakfast today and wanted something creamy/yogurty on it but I am trying to solve this battle with acne I have going on so avoiding ALL dairy because I tried all but probiotic dairy with no success, but that's besides the point... anyways I remembered your post about the cashew creamer and thought maybe I'll try that.... I made a totally different variation based on your idea. It HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!! Thank you so much for giving me the ideas.

What I did was put a banana and half a cup of lightly salted cashews (not soaked) in a high powered blender with a little vanilla extract and water (not enough to cover it but almost) and blended it until it was creamy... and it was so creamy and so delicious!!! It literally tastes like thick cream with just a little sweetness from the banana, but barely at all like bananas. Also it was thick enough that you can (and I will) easily eat it like yogurt!!
  • mjpree
    mjpree Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    For those using coconut oil, how do you manage to stay within your fat gram goal? One cup of Bulletproof coffee and half of my fat grams are gone! :( It sure would be nice if the BP coffee didn't count! ;)
  • Ketolover71
    Ketolover71 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    OHYEAH1967 wrote: »
    Ok whats the deal with adding coconut oil in your coffee? does that make your coffee taste better? i am presently using Coffee Mate french its 35 cal per 1Tbs yikes

They use it as a healthy fat if your on the keto diet. I use unsalted and coconut oil and blend for 5 seconds. Its nice and creamy. But not sweet, but satisfying.
  • paigele
    paigele Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I have a small container in which I mix: cinnamon (2/3 volume) , dry cocoa powder (1/3 volume) and cayenne pepper-ground (dash- just enough for a hint).
    I add a pinch of this to my coffee (less than 1/4 tsp in a large cup) and it adds flavor without significant anything else. Since it requires no refrigeration and a tiny bit goes a long way I keep a bit near the coffee pot at work, and stash some in my travel bag when I am going somewhere. You never know when you are going to be exposed to average coffee and it will need a boost. This will do it. :)
    -Coffee snob, confessed.
  • mebelfanti
    mebelfanti Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any creamer substitutes that do not require refrigeration? I have my coffee at work and we are not allowed to keep things in the office fridge long term. Remembering to bring coffee creamer every day is just not worth the hassle.
  • WickAndArtoo
    edited March 2017
    Options
    mebelfanti wrote: »
    Does anyone have any creamer substitutes that do not require refrigeration? I have my coffee at work and we are not allowed to keep things in the office fridge long term. Remembering to bring coffee creamer every day is just not worth the hassle.

@mebelfanti I have never tried this stuff but it looks pretty good and got great reviews.

https://thrivemarket.com/laird-superfood-coffee-creamer?utm_source=google&utm_medium=pla&utm_campaign=Laird Superfood&utm_content=855694006018&ccode=FSPLA&ccode_force=1&gclid=COrGn8Gl-dICFc4DhgodB84ABA

Also I remember seeing a lot of adds for something called "leaner creamer" which was supposed to be good.

I totally know what you mean, I worked in construction one summer and we didn't have access to coffee or creamer, so I brought mine in a insulated bottle each day... one time I dropped it and spilled my whole days worth of coffee, I'm not kidding I nearly cried.
  • auntjudith254
    auntjudith254 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Raw sugar, aka turbinado sugar is healthier than white sugar. I use that or honey. Or maple syrup.
  • lenn_elle
    lenn_elle Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I would say definitely try honey, some cinnamon, coconut oil, dates (no more than 3), or even a tbsp of raw cocoa powder (not all of them at the same time lol)
  • theowlbox
    theowlbox Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it's easier to switch drinks than to drink coffee a different way. I am changing my creamer ratio towards black coffee, but I'm getting into tea because I have no "preferred way" to drink it. Because It's all new, It's easier for me than drinking (what my brain feels is) sub par coffee.
    Good luck!
  • jringer1
    jringer1 Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    paigele wrote: »
    I have a small container in which I mix: cinnamon (2/3 volume) , dry cocoa powder (1/3 volume) and cayenne pepper-ground (dash- just enough for a hint).
    I add a pinch of this to my coffee (less than 1/4 tsp in a large cup) and it adds flavor without significant anything else. Since it requires no refrigeration and a tiny bit goes a long way I keep a bit near the coffee pot at work, and stash some in my travel bag when I am going somewhere. You never know when you are going to be exposed to average coffee and it will need a boost. This will do it. :)
    -Coffee snob, confessed.

Great idea! I frequently sprinkle cinnamon on my coffee grounds when brewing, but I like your idea better!
  • cass_t80
    cass_t80 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    :D coffee good. wake up necessity for mind and body! some great ideas out there, here in australia coffee creamer has never really caught on like it has in the states. so, my favorite concoction to share is this;

To one strong, long, freshly ground, fair trade espresso (home saeco machine SO worth the investment) add:

1/2 TBSP flax meal (omega fats / anti inflammatory / fiber)
    1 dried date (natural sweetness and fiber)
    1/2 tsp cacao powder (magnesium, ca ++ for bone health, as coffee is my one remaining vice that is not great for osteopenia plus it mellows the buzz and improves taste )
    soy milk (alkaline to counter the acidity of the holy bean) OR almond milk (makes for stronger coffee taste)
    finally, a generous dash or more, of organic ceylone cinnamon

Occasionally I add gluten free weetbix and protein powder, to make a meal of it.

otherwise try

a simple coffee; machine or instant,
    with milk of choice (or not) &
    your preferred kitchen spice instead of sugar, similar to paigele
    ( such as nutmeg, clove, cinnamon, cardamon, ginger, all spice, or get creative and make your own alchemist blend of them all, according to taste )

and enjoy!
  • TARGET65K
    TARGET65K Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I like mine simple nothing added but h2o
  • danthechainsawman
    danthechainsawman Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've always drank my coffee black, with no cream, no oil, no sugar, no milk.
  • sedwards3111
    sedwards3111 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I love coffee and love it sweet and white. I've just switched over from powdered creamer to Omega PowerCreamer - High Quality Blend of Grassfed Ghee, Organic Coconut Oil, and MCT Oil with a splash of unsweetened almond milk and stevia. While it's not white, it gives it a nice texture and flavor.
  • marilync1266
    marilync1266 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Since I'm about to try the Whole30, I started putting whole fat coconut milk in my coffee - the one in the can. I didn't think I could live without sugar and cream, but it is not bad. I added tsp of 100% cocoa too.