2017 Adopt a Noob Discussion

Replies

• jessiebethin
    jessiebethin Posts: 30 Member
    Hi. I am new to MFP and I feel like I have a better chance of being successful if I have a mentor so please adopt me.

I am a mom of 2 (ages 9 and 16), a small scale farmer (I have 8 chickens and will be getting 2 goats soon), and have been married 18 years. I am semi-retired and now feel that I have the time to dedicate to changing some habits and reaching fitness goals.

I am 5'4'' and 155lbs. My ultimate goal is to reach 115lbs this year.
  • mrelkin92
    mrelkin92 Posts: 1 Member
    I would love to be adopted! I'm new to this healthy lifestyle and am really struggling to lose the weight. I am 24 years old and put on 30 pounds about a year ago due to polycystic ovaries that cause hormonal imbalances. My condition makes it very hard for me to lose weight and I'd love some guidance! If there are any mentors out there who have hormonal issues or PCOS and have managed to get to their goal weight, please do reach out!
    I am 24, female, 5"4, starting weight: 175 lbs, current weight: 160 lbs, goal weight: 140 lbs
  • lauraemaki
    lauraemaki Posts: 5 Member
    edited January 2017
    I need to be adopted or if someone wants a friend to start their journey with! I am motivated by no-nonsense approaches in life. I am 188lbs and 5'8 I am overweight for the last 2 years of my life. I started working in an office where I snack, and work right near a McDonalds where My coworkers and I frequent. I lose my willpower easily, I am very aware that I do this. I used to be VERY active- I rock climbed, road biked (all the way across the country once!), ran- now. I can not stop eating *kitten*. My cravings are getting out of control. I would appreciate any help someone can offer. :)
  • sjkgetsfit
    sjkgetsfit Posts: 2 Member
    Hello Team,

I would like to get adopted and really push my health objectives this time. If anybody wants to try a novel work out. Please feel free to reach out.

One thing I would like to focus on first are, upper body- chest workouts. I've got embarrassing moobs. Any one with prior experience will help.
  • hey anybody wants to mentor me?
  • cashidy
    cashidy Posts: 152 Member
    Please adopt me. Will exercise for food.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    I can mentor someone. I lost 45lbs while using MFP and have been maintaining for a year now. I don't follow any particular diet (just track food and watch macros), and strength train 4 days/wk with a little cardio here and there.

Im 45yo
    5'4
    Start weight: 145lbs
    Current: 113lbs

If another female needs help and really wants to do this send me a pm or friend request and let me know. :smile:
  • Psyduckfan1
    Psyduckfan1 Posts: 18 Member
    I'm kinda weary about random friend requests, so I'm just going to put in a request to be mentored.

Relevant info:

38 years old, 5'11", 159 at last weigh-in earlier this week. Casual runner who has run one 5K but had to abandon plans for a second because of holes in my training plan, mostly strength training related. But I'm a bit of a hard one, I've already rejected three workout programs online (DailyBurn, Live Exercise, Fitness Blender) because I couldn't crosscheck trainers there to make sure they were certified. I realize that not all trainers who are certified are good, but it's still something I feel I can't compromise on.

I also need a healthier relationship with food because I could stand to put on a couple of healthy pounds but have a tendency to starve or overeat when feeling stressed, which is stunting that. It's not helping that I live with two parents who are both fat hogs (no other way to call it) who have a gift for trying to feed me too much.

I want to be able to get back into a routine and be able to stick with it so I can run a second 5K. Cheerleader, tough love type would be preferred.
  • frantim528
    frantim528 Posts: 48 Member
    Hi! I'm not new to MFP but stopped logging a couple of years back and regained my 70 lbs. Now I'm back and have decided that I really need some friends for accountability and coaching. Restarted at 274 and am now at 268. Trying to reach at least 199 (break that 200 lb mark). My ideal weight is 180 so that my BMI doesn't read "Overweight". My doctor says 200 would probably be about right for me and maintainable (I'd be overweight but not morbidly obese). Looking forward to losing some weight with some MFP friends.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,145 MFP Staff
    @SamMarriottPT @Kullerva @cnbbnc

Thank you for being willing to mentor a noob. We are asking noobs to reach out to you but also encourage you to reach out to anyone who posts that you'd like to mentor.
  • hamsammy67
    hamsammy67 Posts: 9 Member
    I would love to a mentor! I'm going to be 50 in June, and would like to connect with female Noobs (and others) who are in the 45-55 range so that we can support each other with our unique life challenges. I've enjoyed a life of healthy living (both indoors at the gym and outdoors in nature) and I've also enjoyed periods of...not-so-healthy choices. So I get it! Message me and let's get this healthy living party started! :)
  • Alex
    hamsammy67 wrote: »
    I would love to a mentor! I'm going to be 50 in June, and would like to connect with female Noobs (and others) who are in the 45-55 range so that we can support each other with our unique life challenges. I've enjoyed a life of healthy living (both indoors at the gym and outdoors in nature) and I've also enjoyed periods of...not-so-healthy choices. So I get it! Message me and let's get this healthy living party started! :)

@hamsammy67 Thank you for offering to be a mentor. I have added your name to the list. Please also consider reaching out to noobs that are posting looking for adoption.
  • Justin741
    Justin741 Posts: 249 Member
    Justin741 wrote: »
    I'd be willing to mentor or help someone be accountable.

In 2011 I lost 111lbs however as of November 2015 I gained back 66lbs but I'm on my way back down and I've lost 13lbs and rolling.

I am 33 years old, married with three young kids and a follower of Jesus.

I've been super motivated lately and want to encourage and motivate others. I hardly use Facebook or Instagram because I consider MyFitnessPal my social network.

I feel like I can help others due to my past success, past mistakes, and current progress and motivation. Shoot me a friend request and/or PM if you're interested.

I've taken in a couple and no longer have availability.
  • MiniMansell1964
    MiniMansell1964 Posts: 188 Member
    I am interesting in being a mentor,
    i am 52, very active in the outdoor adventure sports industry, i am a snowboard instructor and avid mountain biker, plus i still skateboard.
    i dropped 37lbs last summer and am happy maintaining my new body shape.
  • kmelend1
    kmelend1 Posts: 4 Member
    Adopt me! I'm "new" again. I have tried to be consistent in the past, but have failed to do so.
    I am now training for my second 10K race, and am motivated to lose the extra pounds to get a PR this go 'round.

My name is Karla. I am 37 years old, married, with two boys ages 7 and 9. I started to run last year when I ran my first 10K race in April , and realized I need to focus more on my nutrition. I also ran my first half-marathon six months later, on October 2016. I am loving this new adventure, and would love to have some support on the nutrition side.
    My goal at 5'2" and 155lbs, is to lose about 30lbs. I gained most of it after having my two boys. Couple that with not being active, and I reached a top weight of 178lbs in 2013. I have gotten some of the weight off these past few years, but now am ready to gear up to lose the final 30lbs and maintain it with a healthy life-style.

I would appreciate a mentor at this stage of my journey!
    Thanks!
  • FitnessAngel11
    FitnessAngel11 Posts: 16 Member
    I would love a mentor for my journey! someone with a good amount of knowledge and experience in body recomposition and nutrition would be great! i love in the UK and i want to lose only 10 pounds of fat but this is harder than it sounds because it's difficult to achieve :( i find keto works quite well but i'm finding it difficult to stick to it do i would love a mentor to help me stay on track both in the gym and kitchen so i can achieve my goals soon
  • Alex
    shredcamps wrote: »
    I am interesting in being a mentor,
    i am 52, very active in the outdoor adventure sports industry, i am a snowboard instructor and avid mountain biker, plus i still skateboard.
    i dropped 37lbs last summer and am happy maintaining my new body shape.

Thank you @shredcamps ! I have added you to the list of mentors in the OP. We ask noobs to reach out to prospective mentors but also encourage you to read posts here and reach to anyone you might like to adopt. Thanks again!
  • angellicbaby
    angellicbaby Posts: 1 Member
    I would love to be adopted... I'm new to this app too and needing a motivation and support circle!
  • ItszMini91
    ItszMini91 Posts: 3 Member
    edited January 2017
    Hello ☺ I'm a 25 year old university student.
    5'2" short and around 150lbs aiming for 136lbs. I clearly love food or I wouldn't be here (sweet things and cheese are my weakness
  • Raxcee
    Raxcee Posts: 3 Member
    Hello,

I am 37 years old male from India. Weighing 264 pounds. I am 5feet 10 inches tall. My aim is to lose 80 pounds with healthy eating and regular exercise. I have a desk job with almost no time left for physical activity. Last week I started making time and getting up early to excercise. Need help and guidance on what to do and how. Looking for a mentor.
    . Thabks
This discussion has been closed.