2017 Adopt a Noob Discussion

Replies

• siraphine
    siraphine Posts: 185 Member
    I'm happy to mentor!

I'm 20 years old (21 next week!) from northwestern Pennsylvania. I grew up in a very food-heavy Italian household where food was a priority: you didn't clean your plate and it was a direct insult to your mother. My family instilled in me a very poor relationship with food from a young age, but I didn't realize there was anything wrong with it until November of 2016.

I had ballooned massively after a bad breakup and surgery, and vowed to myself that I would do whatever it took to lose the weight (all 130 pounds of it) and keep it off forever. I've never been skinny, but I'm finding my thinner body more every day. As of this moment, I am down 40 pounds. I am close to returning to Onderland.

Beginning this journey has been momumentally important to me, for many reasons even more important than the weight loss. Losing this weight has helped me find myself, respect myself, and find my calling.

I am returning to college next year as a Psychology major with a focus in Dietary Science. I want to specialize in eating disorders and help make binge-eating and other weight-gainining disorders be seen as just as important as anorexia and bulemia are. I want to help as many people as I can realize that you CAN lose the weight. Most importantly, I want to fight against all the false information that the media spreads regarding weight loss.
  • gailsheehan7
    gailsheehan7 Posts: 35 Member
    I'm a noob and would like to be adopted by someone around their 50's please as we have different needs to younger people, Im in Australia, looking to lose a fair bit of weight
  • iSayNamaste
    iSayNamaste Posts: 13 Member
    Hi, I'm new(ish) and would love to be adopted.

I'm a grad student and the chaos of my life has messed up my diet/exercise. For the first time in my life, I'm more sedentary than active and it's taking its toll. Not at an ideal weight, not feeling great and mental health suffers too.

I keep starting a new plan then falling off the wagon then restarting and I hate it. I wish I had someone to help bounce ideas and issues off of, since no one in my circle is in the same place as me.

Any help, community or connections would be greatly appreciated.
  • corn_fed_farm_girl
    corn_fed_farm_girl Posts: 4 Member
    I would like to be adopted by a mentor.

I am 45 years old and from the Midwest. I want to create a healthier and happier life/style for myself.

I am five days into my journey and am at a loss about losing weight and adding muscle.

What you can anticipate from me: I am positive. I am proactive. I like to laugh.

• keeshaoliver1234
    keeshaoliver1234 Posts: 10 Member
    i need to be adopted !!!
    im 21, i work full time (currently 46 hrs/ week) & go to school for 2 hrs/day so time is limited. i do most my work outs before heading to school each morning. money is limited, so going to the gym / always have fresh foods in my house is nearly impossible. i currently weigh 190 lbs, when i started my journey to weight loss, i weighed 225. at first i didnt do much, other than cut pop out of my life (i used to drink 4 litres of pepsi a day, which has contributed to my having kidney stones 3 times starting at age 11 up until january 2016 was my last episode) drink lots of water (i try for 8 cups a day) and stay active, which isnt too hard considering my work. i am a pizza delivery driver, and i actually love my job, it keeps me on my feet (i have no breaks) & i literally barely have time to eat there, so snacking on carrotts is ideal for time, and weight management. ever since the last battle with kidney stones, and me almost losing my job if not for being jacked on morphine going to work (yes i still delivered pizzas), i have decided its time to make a change for the better. when i was 11, mostly it was my parents fault. but at 17 & 19, the blame was all on me. i was not raised to eat healthy, i was not raised to even know what healthy really was. my parents both worked a lot before splitting, so going out for fast food was mostly what we did for supper. after they split, i stayed with my mom, who never cooked, & always was eating fast foods. as i got older, i tried to eat healthier, but moving out on my own at 16 made it incredibly hard, i could barely afford rent let alone food! but yet somehow i still managed to keep my weight around 200 lbs. i am roughly 168 centimeters, i dont know in feet just what it says on my license. i dont own a scale, i use my dads when i visit every week or two. last cat scan i had for kidney stones, i was told i have a severe amount of fat surrounding & growing off of my liver which the doctor said for my height and weight is bad because not only am i unhealthy, but the fat is sticking in spots it shouldnt, and im really looking to get on the better track! no more kidney stones, no more fat on the liver. i should mention i have low blood pressure, its normally around 60/90 at best. and i still have one large stone in my right kidney (wont move & doesnt bother me) but i sill have to be careful on that side (cant hit it off things or fall down hard or it can move, & where its so big its better if it doesnt move) all my kidney stones were no less than 8mm , which is too large to continue on its own so all three times i have had lithotripsy (not sure how to spell it)

I sure hope that isnt TOO much information, just not sure whats really important and whats not!

Thanks, Keesha :)
  • skinnycow1234567
    skinnycow1234567 Posts: 167 Member
    I would enjoy helping anyone if i can.I have been in the gym/fitness scene for over 20 yrs.Heard all the stories,have a pretty good idea of what works and what dosn't for your goals.
  • maddiemadkins
    maddiemadkins Posts: 60 Member
    This site is pretty awesome, but really confusing. I would love someone to adopt me...
    In a nutshell, I am an organic farmer, work with special needs people, have 2 dogs, 2 cats, chickens and rabbits. I love working out but fall in and out of routines. I love sugar way too much.

As a side note, I am an insomniac and have been living with Bipolar Disorder1 for 20yrs...hence the weight gain from medication (and one too many treats lol).

I'll be 44 in April.
    Any takers?
    :)
  • hazen1029
    hazen1029 Posts: 1 Member
    edited March 2017
    I would <3 to get hooked up with a mentor. I'm in need of someone to hold me accountable. I struggle with sticking to any kind of plan, but am ready to make a lifestyle change.

A bit about me...
    * 39 years old
    * mother of a 5 year old and wife to a swing shift working hubby
    * teacher of middle school special ed
    * 5'4" and ashamed to say...200lbs
    * pretty sedentary lifestyle, but own a plethora of workout dvd's, a treadmill, small hand weights

Any help offered would be greatly appreciated!
  • carlwhallinon
    carlwhallinon Posts: 4 Member
    Hi, my name is Carl,I'm from the UK. Just been told I am pre-diabetic! I'm 43 years old. I have joined a slimming world group and so far list 12.5 lbs in about 5 weeks. I am just getting over a sciatica problem so am ready to re commence exercising. Currently weigh 211.54 lbs and could really do with a hand to get me and keep me on track , cheers
  • julil1710
    julil1710 Posts: 2 Member
    I want to be adopted :)
  • esejanta11
    esejanta11 Posts: 2 Member
    edited April 2017
    I really want to be adopted, it has now become a health Issue for me, as i must loose weight. Please Adopt me. PS i am new on here.
  • briohne128
    briohne128 Posts: 176 Member
    edited April 2017
    Hello everyone, I would love to be a mentor to some of you! Let me give you my back story.

I am a 22 year old female in England and I have an Extended Diploma in Sports Coaching (one of the main units within that was Nutrition).

I have never been fat but I used to be really unhappy with my weight however I am now over a stone down and I'm thinking about losing some more!

I still eat some junk food (just not as much, I used to binge eat so badly at night!) and I do a lot of home work outs!

If you would like me to be your mentor, please add and message me! :smile:
  • hiibrooke
    hiibrooke Posts: 1 Member
    hi. is this still going on? I would like someone to help me still (:
  • Scruggla88
    Scruggla88 Posts: 135 Member
    Hi there, I just downloaded MFP this morning! SW:208 CW: 195 GW:(well the first one at least) 170.
    I'm 28 part time working mother of three (3,4,&9). I'm a little confused by MFP but I'm dedicated to losing the weight! Looking for a mentor who can keep me accountable. One with a FitBit wouldn't hurt since I have some ?s concerning the relationship between Fitbit and MFP. And probably a woman.
    My biggest challenge with weight loss is consistency. I need help staying on track and logging always.
    Please adopt me!!
  • rogerleewestcott
    rogerleewestcott Posts: 15 Member
    I'd love to have a mentor!

I'm 33, a Husband, Father of 3 ( 10,8,4)! I work sales all day 7am - 8pm most days Monday through Saturday. I am highly motivated but lack of follow through! I've joined this app for accountability and fear I will run out of momentum! Could use some help with motivation and creative ideas for a very busy lifestyle! I believe to have an edge deep inside ! considering I was an All-American , all state cross country , track and field and wrestling competitor! THE BEAST IS INSIDE WAITING TOBE UNLEASHED! Lol!
  • MargaretSans
    MargaretSans Posts: 54 Member
    ISO Mentor

I am a 27 year old from Ontario.

I currently weigh 160 lbs and would like to weigh 145 pounds. I need someone to help motivate and push me towards my goal. I like working out but feel lost in the gym. I have no problem staying away from junk food but have been so overwhelmed with different diets that I have no idea what's considered healthy anymore.

PM me if you want to help :)

Thanks
  • missymoose
    missymoose Posts: 3 Member
    I would like to be adopted!!

I'm 31, short, silly, and motivated.

I'm 35lbs down, 118lbs to go. I'm trying to remain more focused on the 35 than on the 118 though. I have a 2 year old and a 10 month old (both girls), am married, work fulltime, and am finishing my masters. I'm exhausted. So I focus most of my energy into meal prep and what I put into my body as my time is pretty limited.

I HAVE to lose weight. Have to. I just beat cervical cancer in November, and am now dealing with abdominal masses and hernias. Guess what. They won't fix hernias on fat ladies.

So the only way to get out of pain is to lose weight! 16 more pounds until I can have surgery #1, 80lbs until surgery #2, and 118lbs until final goal. Let's do this.
  • maddiemadkins
    maddiemadkins Posts: 60 Member
    So does anyone read this and actually take on newbies?
This discussion has been closed.