Salad Dressings - Help

escalada22
escalada22 Posts: 191 Member
So I have been on the search for the lowest cal biggest taste salad dressing and haven't found it yet. I don't usually do fat free because more sugar. I will go light sometimes, but would just as much rather have an Italian. Just wondering what dressing you have found are tasty, low cal and not super high in sodium!

Replies

• escalada22
    hmmm>>> i Will have to look for that. I am not sure our area carries that but they sound delish!
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    You can leave the salt out of this recipe. soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/04/creamy-cucumber-dressing.html

You could substitute herbs and spice for the dressing mix in this recipe. soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2012/10/fire-roasted-tomato-dressing.html
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    I make my own ranch with this recipe http://www.ruled.me/keto-approved-ranch-dressing/ and then add a bottle of Walden Farms Ranch dressing (found in the Produce cold section): 2 tablespoons doesn't have that many calories at all and actually tastes pretty good.
  • SaraMA1
    SaraMA1 Posts: 410 Member
    edited January 2017
    I love making these with Apple Cider Vinegar. I hope this link works, it is on Pinterest.

The link didn't work.. here are two of my favs

French Dressing
    1/3 cup vegan no sugar ketchup
    2 tsp paprika
    1/2 cup liquid coconut oil
    1/2 Apple Cider Vinegar
    2-3 tbs pure maple syrup
    add to a mason jar , shake up and store in fridge

OR
    Sesame Ginger
    1-2 tbs fresh grated ginger
    2 cloves garlic
    1tbsp sesame seeds
    1/4 cup Olive Oil
    1/4 Cup Sesame Oil
    1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
    3tbsp braggs aminos
    1 tbs maple syrup
    add to a mason jar , shake up and store in fridge

• need2belean
    need2belean Posts: 353 Member
    escalada22 wrote: »
    So I have been on the search for the lowest cal biggest taste salad dressing and haven't found it yet. I don't usually do fat free because more sugar. I will go light sometimes, but would just as much rather have an Italian. Just wondering what dressing you have found are tasty, low cal and not super high in sodium!

Ken's light blue cheese is wonderful!!
    80 cal for 31g(2tbs) of dressing and only 1g of sugar. Ken Steakhouse dressing is where it's at. Sometimes, I use hot sauces for dressings too. Those have sodium but very low cal.
  • need2belean
    need2belean Posts: 353 Member
    edited January 2017
    I second Bolthouse Farms greek yogurt dressings. You will find them in the refridgerated produce section. Usually 35-40 cals for a 2 tbsp serving. My favorite is the Cilantro Avocado. I use it on salads and wraps.

I third this. These are very good as well! And I think these taste wayyy better than Walden Farms. Granted, I've only tried the Balsamic Walden Farms but I threw it away right after I tried it. 5$ wasted.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Agree with above - Bolthouse Farms greek yogurt and their balsamic is pretty low too.

I love ranch and the Bolthouse Farms at 45 cal for 2 tablespoons hands down is the best ranch dressing outside of the "real" thing. In fact I don't notice a difference anymore and I was a big ranch gal.
  • Mhay913
    Mhay913 Posts: 19 Member
    Bernstein's Light Cheese Fantastico! It's like a tangy Italian dressing and only have 25 calories per severing (2 tbls).
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    For me, sometimes just a splash of balsamic vinegar is enough.

I also sometimes combine olive oil, vinegar or lemon/lime juice and a bit of mustard.
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    I'm a fanatic for honey-mustard but hated the chemicals in the low-cal/low-fat versions at the grocery store. I make my own now: 1/2 c mayo, 1/4 mustard, 1/2 oz honey (I add all the ingredients to a bowl sitting on a scale, so not quite sure how much that is - maybe 1+ teaspoons? you can substitute stevia or whatever if you'd rather), couple tablespoons red wine vinegar depending on taste, and then seasonings - garlic (fresh or powdered), salt, pepper. Obviously all ingredients adjustable, but comes to about 25 calories per tablespoon. You can put the ingredients in the recipe builder.
  • GraybrielFit
    GraybrielFit Posts: 18 Member
    I just use a teaspoon each of olive oil and something acidic, usually red wine vinegar or lime juice, per portion. If I'm going to eat salad, it's because I want to taste vegetables, not dressing.
  • sstrack123
    sstrack123 Posts: 171 Member
    I use 1/2 mashed avocado then toss & toss & toss until everything is coated.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Make your own for best results. Ranch is one variety of buttermilk-type dressings, easy to make. Olive Oil plus vinegar/lime/lemon (for acid) and almost any variety of herbs (fresh and freeze-dried), combos with various cheese components (e.g., blue cheese), and more. The world is at your feet. The commercial stuff typically has more calories, sugar, salt and other ingredients for emulsification, stabilization, color, etc.

I make honey-mustard by diluting Dijon with honey and other flavorings, such as white wine vinegar. Also makes a great chicken marinade.

Almost any salad dressing recipe calling for mayo can have yogurt - esp. greek yogurt (unflavored or course) substituted (I also like the Stoneyfield thick, creamy whole milk organic unflavored yogurt for this as well). Ranch for instance, takes a base of yogurt and sour cream, thinned with buttermilk to your desired consistency (thicker as a dip than as a dressing, for instance) - then add your herbs and such. And if you like your mayo, you can keep your mayo (LOL).
  • augustremulous
    augustremulous Posts: 378 Member
    This is an old article but I started following these salad dressing rules, and it made all my salads tons more satisfying.

http://www.bonappetit.com/test-kitchen/cooking-tips/article/how-to-dress-any-salad-green

personally I rarely buy salad dressing, because they never quite fit my palette right. I just do a combinations of seasonings, vinegar or lemon or lime juice, and an oil. It might change with my mood, since there are some days I just want more or less tartness. I've also recently gotten into something called verjus, which is less acidic than vinegar.

If you're having trouble finding a salad dressing maybe the issue is your veggies - pick ones you like more, and let that be the basis of your flavor. For example, I made an amazingly delicious salad the other day by grilling an ear of corn and throwing it in a bowl with chopped tomatoes, chopped cucumber, thinly sliced purple onion, half a cup of cilantro, the juice of one lime, an avocado, a chopped serrano, olive oil, and some salt, cayenne, and black pepper (I like my food spicy you might tone it down a bit)

• escalada22
    All these are great ideas! Thank you everyone! I will be trying the olive oil and lemon and seasonings! I love, love, love lemon!!!
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Just go oh natural, actually go to subway, have them make you a chopped salad with no dressing, you should be good.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    I like fresh lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper; or if you put olives into the salad, or ripe avocado, you may find you don't need dressing.

We don't buy much in the way of bottled salad dressing, occasionally that asian sesame one if i need a lot at one time to make a big salad for an event. Usually just mix some oil and some acid, think about things that go together and go for it, it will taste good. If it doesn't, you learn, try something different next time.

Enormous disdain for low-fat bottled salad dressing exists in my household, it seems to be made with mostly sugar. We sometimes see one that looks good, pick it up at the store, read ingredients, then always put them back, they are almost universally too sweet and not a better choice nutrition-wise.