Lean gains being underweight

Options
I'm underweight (BMI 14,5) and my goal is to gain weight and I'm doing Intermittent fasting (just for health and nothing more) for a week (16/8) and eating calorie surplus at eating window but maybe I shouldn't do it because it's not recommended to do IF for underweights and firstly put on some weight or everything is ok? BTW I had gained some weight in that week...

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    IF is just a way to structure meal timing. It has no proven health benefits and personally, when bulking, I would struggle to consume enough calories in an eating window.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    If you struggle to gain weight because you find it hard to eat enough then IF is probably not a great idea.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Um what the heck?! Your bmi is 14.5 and your doing fasting....? You need professional help. You must have some type of eating disorder or very very SERIOUS medical condition as no one is naturally BMI 14.5. I hope you are getting help.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    As others said, if you are not able to eat enough and gain, adding an eating window can be an unnecessary struggle. I know some people that can do it no problem and prefer to eat one large meal a day when bulking, but in your case, being underweight and hunger cues not where they should be, I wouldn't recommend it
  • simonytin24
    simonytin24 Posts: 6 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I don't have eating disorders, just thought if it is going o be a good idea or not because I still eat enough calories in an eating window. I see it's not. Thank you :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited January 2017
    Options
    The benefits of fasting have been a bit exaggerated based on a few studies and more often the studies promote its good for weight loss as you cut a meal out which cuts calories. For muscle gains it can make it harder and potentially not as beneficial in terms of maximizing muacle growth. There is some research or recommendations to spread protein out a bit to maximize protein synthesis (generally by consuming 30 to 40g of pro per meal). Do that along with a good lifting program and you can achieve some good results. I do know several members who use IF as a tool to maintain but they dont do it during bulks.

The key to minimizing excessive fat gain is by having a moderate surplus daily, adequate protein and carbs and a good lifting program. But consistency is truly key. Huge swings from day to day can cause for inefficiencies.
  • simonytin24
    simonytin24 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    good to know this!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Eat more, lift more, limit cardio. Don't make extra arbitrary rules about when or what to eat. Track and try to reach your calorie goal.