How long after overinduling days will weight show on scales?

After how long of overindulging would weight gain show on scales?

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    For me it's usually immediately. I tend to bloat when I overeat. Usually by the time I've lost the water weight I've also worked off any fat I gained (if you are talking one day of overindulging).
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,017 Member
    Depends on what you mean by weight gain...real fat or water weight from a bad weekend? The scale goes up immediately the next morning for me when I overindulge for 1 day, then it goes away within 3 days. I notice if I have 2 or 3 consecutive indulgence days, it can take a full week to get back to what it was before those indulgence days.

+1 - about how it works for me, too.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    For me, it seems like it takes a week. I never know what my body is going to do...
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    The weight on the scale will increase while you are eating. It takes a couple of days to fully digest food and perhaps a little longer if you stuff yourself. After that, your weight will drop back to more normal levels, but higher than when you started.
  • mgtrussell1
    mgtrussell1 Posts: 2 Member
    I gained 6 lbs over Christmas and new year - just back on diet and so far, after 4 days strict adherence to diet, have lost 2 lbs - so hopefully in three weeks will be back to pre-Christmas weight
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Water weight shows the next day and goes within 2-3 days.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    My experience is that several days of overeating takes 1-2 weeks to establish itself on the scale (as does multiple days of restricting). But you'll see short term fluctuations as described above (not actually fat gain).
  • bkbirge
    bkbirge Posts: 107 Member
    The scale goes up immediately the next morning for me when I overindulge for 1 day, then it goes away within 3 days. I notice if I have 2 or 3 consecutive indulgence days, it can take a full week to get back to what it was before those indulgence days.

My experience so far as well.
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    When you say overeat - does it matter WHAT you overeat? I'm just curious because I feel like I'm eating a lot more than I did previously, since I've looked hard at my diet and eat lots of veg, protein and the grains are complex rather than any refined carbs etc. Example today I've just felt crazy hungry all day, like I can't fill up. I don't want this to hinder my weight loss/body fat %. Sorry if I hijacked the thread, just curious!
  • heylance
    heylance Posts: 32 Member
    edited January 2017
    I usually see it 2 days later, though it will be different for everyone. It usually goes like this:

Day 1: Overeat/binge
    Day 2: Normal expected weight from before binge
    Day 3: +1-2 lbs
    Day 4: Drink a lot of water ( 80+oz), eat around 1600 calories, pee a lot
    Day 5: Back to normal
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    For me, it depends on how much over in calories I was not only on that day, but several days right before. Now what does affect my immediate weight is how well my digestive tract is moving waste out. But binges of their own don't make much difference unless the binge extended into, say 2000 extra calories in the day, However, unlike some other's when that weight gain does show up, it'll be with me for a several days or more.
  • newgirl57
    newgirl57 Posts: 43 Member
    If I go out to dinner on Friday night and really overindulge, I gain 1 or 2 pounds on Monday. My Saturday and Sunday will be normal, but Monday will be up. I decided to have my personal Weigh In Wednesdays for that reason!
  • DKG28
    DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
    there's water weight, and there's also more than usual in your digestive system...so that needs to pass too
  • myfitnesspale3
    myfitnesspale3 Posts: 276 Member
    increased salt intake causes increased water retainage immediately to dilute the blood sodium level. It probably also makes you thirsty so you drink more than average. I've noticed the next day, measuring once daily/morning, weight peaks with increased calories by additional water retainage just to metabolize the extra food, and with fat cells gaining mass.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited February 2017
    Real weight takes about a week for me. Water weight immediately.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Depends on what you eat and how much you eat and your own body genetics. If you go a thousand calories over your weight for one day you're not going to gain any weight it's going to be insignificant yeah you might gain some water weight if you eat something salty or if your drink too much but that water weight will disappear in a couple days.