What supplement should I take or should I do both?

Should I take both of these or should I just take the BCAA is that what's most important before and during a work out? I also take a 100% whey protein drink after lifting weightsro0ju9vpa8oi.png
3v0wlda1u2ud.png

Replies

• Famof72015
    Famof72015 Posts: 393 Member
    Well this is what I'm taking now, how do I know if that's enough?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Famof72015 wrote: »

You should be fine.
  • Famof72015
    Okay. Thanks!! Wasn't sure if I needed to take a supplement during my workout to give me more energy that's what I've been reading.
  • CoachBrafford
    CoachBrafford Posts: 27 Member
    Hi,
    First some health info. Protein is a great before and after workout drink.
    You want more for your dollar... protein shake add cold coffee, blueberries & peanut butter... get you building materials & caffeine
    After workout... 12 to 20 oz of chocolate milk... this has the perfect 2 to 1 balance that your body wants after weights & or cardio.
    BCAA... branch chain amino acids. These will ONLY work if you are eating almost no carbs and working so hard you muscles have nothing to eat and fuel.
    Also check you product on a site like www.ewg.org
    Why, cause states like NY etc have sued GNC and others for claims of weight-loss when they really sold chalk. (60% of all items in some states)
    Good luck & there is no silver bullet to getting the weight off. Hard work and consistent hard work.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member

Are you logging/tracking your food on MFP? What does your daily protein intake look like? If you're getting anywhere at or above 0.6g of protein per pound of bodyweight, you're fine. As psuLemon said, BCAAs are completely unnecessary if you're already getting adequate protein. The Amino Acid blend is just more protein (protein is composed of amino acids), so again it's redundant as long as your protein intake is adequate.
  • Famof72015
    I'm getting between 120-130g of protein and I take this one shake a day.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    I'm getting between 120-130g of protein and I take this one shake a day.

You're getting plenty of protein. Taking the BCAAs and Amino Acids will do nothing more than produce expensive urine.

If you want more energy for your workouts, drink a cup of coffee or you can try one of the preworkout mixes (I don't like any of them at all because they make me jittery and drive my blood pressure up).
  • Famof72015
    Okay I'll stick with what I'm doing. I definitely don't want to feel jittery or my heart race. That was a fear of mine. Thank you!
  • simmoner4
    simmoner4 Posts: 132 Member
    I've read that BCAA can help with muscle soreness, that's why I take it. Anyone have info on that? I feel like it helps but would like to get others view and knowledge on this.
  • psuLemon
    edited January 2017
    simmoner4 wrote: »
    I've read that BCAA can help with muscle soreness, that's why I take it. Anyone have info on that? I feel like it helps but would like to get others view and knowledge on this.

I am trying to find the thread where @SideSteel posted the review from Alan Aragon, but I think it noted most of that was anecdotal. If anything, carbs and adequate protein will provide a great way to improve recovery.

ETA, found it: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/38617967#Comment_38617967
  • simmoner4
    Thank you! I guess another question that comes up is that I usually workout first thing in the morning fasted. I do a lot of running first thing in the morning fasted, distance and speed workouts. Lifting will be later in the day after breakfast. It was mentioned to me that drinking the bcaas while running would help preserve my muscles during the running since I'm going off empty, any insight on that?
    Thanks for sharing wisdom!
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Protein is a great before and after workout drink.

It doesn't matter when you have your protein. That said, I do take a protein supplement because it's hard to get enough otherwise when I'm cutting.

Otherwise, the only fitness-related supplement I've found to be worth taking is creatine. BCAAs do nothing for my soreness, and pre-workout has never done anything for my workouts.

The vast majority of supplements are placebos. Eat a balanced diet, get at least 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass, and enjoy.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    I'd much rather spend money on FOOD than supplements. If you need protein, then eat protein. As mentioned, if you're getting enough, you DON'T need BCAA's

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • psuLemon
    simmoner4 wrote: »
    Thank you! I guess another question that comes up is that I usually workout first thing in the morning fasted. I do a lot of running first thing in the morning fasted, distance and speed workouts. Lifting will be later in the day after breakfast. It was mentioned to me that drinking the bcaas while running would help preserve my muscles during the running since I'm going off empty, any insight on that?
    Thanks for sharing wisdom!

Are you eating breakfast after your run? And how long are we talking?
  • simmoner4
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Are you eating breakfast after your run? And how long are we talking?

Yes I always eat breakfast after I run that consists of fruit or oats and some form of protein (powder or eggs usually). I'll go up to twelve or thirteen miles without taking in carbs during a run. Anything over thirteen I'll take a Gu about halfway.
  • psuLemon
    Then you should be ok. If you are really concerned, I would take in protein and some carbs pre workout, but since you are eating after, you should be good overall.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    you definitely dont need the amino burner as fat burners dont work. but I agree with what everyone else said. I just use protein powder to help me get enough protein in on days I am lacking
  • JstTheWayIam
    JstTheWayIam Posts: 6,357 Member
    Yeah most supplements are full of garbage, especially the fat burners...

I take whey, raw meal, msm, and creatine... That's all I need.