In need of support.

Options
hey guys, after losing to much weight too quickly in the summer and early fall of 2016. I have been on a journey to gain weight. Since October, I have gained about 15 pounds and I am just hitting a healthy bmi. Altough I have been gaining a pound or two a week, I seem to have hit a bump in the road. I still want to gain until I hit a BMI of 20. It is getting harder to gain. Is this normal? Also I feel emotional distressed; my hair is so thin and horrible from my past eating habits. Anybody have experience with this issue? When will my hair improve? It makes me feel sad and as if I ruined my health forever due to bad mistakes. Thanks

Replies

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I've personally never dealt with this, but eating high calorie dense foods helps to reach a higher calorie goal.

Nuts, oils, butters, cheese - whatever! Add it all in to whatever you're currently eating!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Yes, it's normal to plateau as you gain weight. Often, it requires you to eat more. 1 to 2 lbs is rather aggressive as it would largely be fat gains. But if you are ok with that, due to your past, who am I to judge.

Dietary fats and proteins can help regulate hormones. You can also look into things like biotin and other hair products to see if that will help. But honestly, i don't know much about that since I am a guy.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    @Hannahrose888 I hope you read my comment on your post. I have been there, and it does get better. Just keep working with your health staff, and focus on the positive - yay for gaining! Everything else will fall into place.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Have you been recalculating your calories needs in MFP? 15 lbs is enough to result in a higher maintenance number, which you then add the extra calories on top off.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    Hamsibian wrote: »
    @Hannahrose888 I hope you read my comment on your post. I have been there, and it does get better. Just keep working with your health staff, and focus on the positive - yay for gaining! Everything else will fall into place.

Btw, I meant the post on your profile page. :)

• comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above: you may need to reset your goals as you have gained weight.
    The hair loss and other issues will improve- it takes a bit of time as hair loss and growth goes in a cycle. Eating nutrient dense food will help with overall health.
    You've done so well;congratulations!
  • chloecsl
    chloecsl Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    what you need is patience. I understand that you'd like to see yourself with a good volume of healthy hair but it takes time.
    You have to make peace with yourself.
  • Hannahrose888
    Hannahrose888 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    @richardgavel thanks. I haven't thought about resenting my calorie goal. I probably need to change it.
  • Hannahrose888
    Hannahrose888 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I know my hair is going to eventually come back, but it constantly reminds me of my bad decisions. However, I am happy that I managed to gain weight. :) All the weight is mostly on my stomach, but it will eventually even out.
  • hisworkmanshipe210
    Options
    Hi! I just dealt with these issues in the fall. I ate a lot of peanut butter (like 8 oz. a day) because I love it and it didn't upset my stomach. I gained weight at a good speed, and my hair is now growing really well.

I suggest eating at least 3000 calories a day (or more!) as directed on youreatopia.com. Eat everything your body wants!

Good luck as you continue this journey!