Carbs

Trying to bulk for another few weeks. Does anyone else have trouble eating carbs? They are making me feel like crap and I feel so much better on a low carb diet. I know I need more carbs to grow, but am tired of feeling like crap from eating them. Any suggestions would be helpful. Bulking on high protein high fat diet??

Replies

• Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    We talking carbs in general or certain carbs you're putting down?
  • oilboy2
    oilboy2 Posts: 4 Member
    Can't do carbs...I stay under 50..... Upped calories to bulk...just above 1 gram protein for lean mass body weight, but do a carb load day once a week.....again, keep under 50 carbs but upped calories
  • CoachBrafford
    CoachBrafford Posts: 27 Member
    Yeah bread sucks. Ive done it 2 was.
    1. When i was lifting and younger was to geat a loaf of bread... take what carbs i needed and dunk it in water or milk and force it down. (I was doing crazy lifting back then and trying to stay up... competition and crap)
    2. Better way is to up tour fruits and veggies. Potatoes work.. i liked oranges and apples. Or you can try
    3. Getting hard dense weight lifting / health bread. They are usually dark black or green. Find them at stores such like whole foods etc. But if you just slam back some sugar heavy fruits... or ice cream etc it will do the same trick.
    (Just remember the sugar sucks... and maybe try soup or metrex meal replacement shakes?)
    Good luck
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Yeah bread sucks. Ive done it 2 was.
    1. When i was lifting and younger was to geat a loaf of bread... take what carbs i needed and dunk it in water or milk and force it down. (I was doing crazy lifting back then and trying to stay up... competition and crap)
    2. Better way is to up tour fruits and veggies. Potatoes work.. i liked oranges and apples. Or you can try
    3. Getting hard dense weight lifting / health bread. They are usually dark black or green. Find them at stores such like whole foods etc. But if you just slam back some sugar heavy fruits... or ice cream etc it will do the same trick.
    (Just remember the sugar sucks... and maybe try soup or metrex meal replacement shakes?)
    Good luck

What is the actual problem with bread, and why does sugar suck?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited January 2017
    Personally, I tend to get the same if I try to base my carb intake on breads or an excessive amount of sugar. I've found that what works great for me is something like what I'll be doing today:

Breakfast: chicken breast, pinto beans and an apple or two
    Lift an hour or so later
    Post: a low-fat protein cookie and a clif bar (the normal ones, not tge builders)
    About an hour and a half later: oats soaked in milk protein concentrate mixed with water

Then as the day goes on, carbs go down and fats go up. I generally end up in the 350-400g protein, 300-350g carb, and 75-100g fat range. Yes, it's excessive on the protein, but I've found that it lets me keep the blood sugar levels stabilized, while promoting less water retention than I get by straight carb stacking.

Ymmv, obviously.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Some carbs cause me problems some don't. Bread and pasta bloats me, but rice doesn't and lentils* give me stomach cramps.

I think it's a good idea to experiment a little by using just one type of carb and seeing how you feel on that. Over time you get a picture of what does and doesn't work for you.

*I class lentils as a carb not a protein source.
  • rdl81
    rdl81 Posts: 220 Member
    edited January 2017
    you can try adding ground oats to your protein shakes to up your carbs. I don't like carbs but trying to bulk so have increased them from 50g a day up to around 300g
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Some carbs cause me problems some don't. Bread and pasta bloats me, but rice doesn't and lentils* give me stomach cramps.

I think it's a good idea to experiment a little by using just one type of carb and seeing how you feel on that. Over time you get a picture of what does and doesn't work for you.

I do ok with oatmeal, dairy, nuts. The lentils are a prob for me, bread I'm avoiding, pasta also is like lead in my body.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Gamliela wrote: »

I do ok with oatmeal, dairy, nuts. The lentils are a prob for me, bread I'm avoiding, pasta also is like lead in my body.

You sure it's not sodium messing with you? I ask for two reasons:

A: the things you listed on problem vs. no problem.

B: I had the same problem when I transitioned from keto to a balanced bulk diet. I was so used to needing really high amounts of sodium from keto, that I forgot to cut it back when I brought carbs back in. Let's just say, for me, 5-6g sodium + 300+g carbs=severe water retention, and the feeling of a boat anchor in the gut.
  • nomorepuke
    nomorepuke Posts: 320 Member
    edited January 2017
    Yes you definitely need carbs, but what's important is where you're getting your carbs from. Starches like bread, sugar, some fruits, rice or flour should be avoided at all cost.
    Vegetables that grow above the ground will give you healthy carbs that you need. Avocado, spinach, Greek yogurt, kiwi fruits and cucumbers are my favorite. They're super nutritious and give me carbs I need.
  • nomorepuke
    sardelsa wrote: »
    nomorepuke wrote: »
    Yes you definitely need carbs, but what's important is where you're getting your carbs from. Starches like bread, sugar, some fruits, rice or flour should be avoided at all cost.
    Vegetables that grow above the ground will give you healthy carbs that you need. Avocado, spinach, Greek yogurt, kiwi fruits and cucumbers are my favorite. They're super nutritious and give me carbs I need.

I'm sorry, but why is that?

If you don't like how those carbs affect you, don't eat them. But I do just fine (if not BETTER) eating those things

Why is it? Umm because you and I are different people.
    I avoid these starchy carbs because they make me feel like crap, I was just sharing my own experience from my perspective.
  • nomorepuke

Do you understand what this thread is about?
    And...avocado, cucumber and yogurt aren't vegetables, btw.

I don't think you understood what I said. I never said they are vegetables. You must be so genius to know that they aren't! I'm amazed. Those are the items that I get my healthy carbs thru. You don't have to agree with what I said, personally attacking, insulting is very unnecessary.
  • nomorepuke

I'm sorry, but why is that?

If you don't like how those carbs affect you, don't eat them. But I do just fine (if not BETTER) eating those things

Why is it? Umm because you and I are different people.
    I avoid these starchy carbs because they make me feel like crap, I was just sharing my own experience from my perspective.

You said they should be avoided at all costs. It didn't say.. "I avoid them"

Then I avoid them.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited January 2017

I don't think you understood what I said. I never said they are vegetables. You must be so genius to know that they aren't! I'm amazed. Those are the items that I get my healthy carbs thru. You don't have to agree with what I said, personally attacking, insulting is very unnecessary.
    First, I didn't "personally attack or insult" you.

You have two juxtaposed sentences. Interpreted, logically, to relate. Like... I have a boyfriend. His name is Ted. Or I like comedy movies best. Legally blonde is my favorite...
    You said:
    Vegetables that grow above the ground will give you healthy carbs that you need. Avocado, spinach, Greek yogurt, kiwi fruits and cucumbers are my favorite.

Cheers, and have a lovely life.
  • nomorepuke
    edited January 2017

You have two juxtaposed sentences. Interpreted, logically, to relate. Like... I have a boyfriend. His name is Ted. Or I like comedy movies best. Legally blonde is my favorite...
    You said:
    Vegetables that grow above the ground will give you healthy carbs that you need. Avocado, spinach, Greek yogurt, kiwi fruits and cucumbers are my favorite.

I didn't know I was taking an English exam. English is my third language, so I don't use it often. I apologize if it was a bit confusing.
    Have a lovely life too, I'm sure you will have one someday if you treat people a bit nicely
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member

You said:

I didn't know I was taking an English exam. English is my third language, so I don't use it often. I apologize if it was a bit confusing.
    Have a lovely life too, I'm sure you will have one someday if you treat people a bit nicely

Cheers!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    rdouma73 wrote: »
    Trying to bulk for another few weeks. Does anyone else have trouble eating carbs? They are making me feel like crap and I feel so much better on a low carb diet. I know I need more carbs to grow, but am tired of feeling like crap from eating them. Any suggestions would be helpful. Bulking on high protein high fat diet??

What are you eating? "Carbs" is pretty broad. I eat a diet that is moderately high in carbs...mostly whole food, nutritionally dense sources of carbohydrates. Oats and other whole grains, lentils, legumes, potatoes and sweet potatoes and other root vegetables, rice, veggies, fruits, etc...