Carbs

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited January 2017
    nomorepuke wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Yes you definitely need carbs, but what's important is where you're getting your carbs from. Starches like bread, sugar, some fruits, rice or flour should be avoided at all cost.
    Vegetables that grow above the ground will give you healthy carbs that you need. Avocado, spinach, Greek yogurt, kiwi fruits and cucumbers are my favorite. They're super nutritious and give me carbs I need.

so we are avoiding fruits now, really????????????

I said "some" fruits.

I avoid bananas, but it's because I find them to be so vile that I'm shocked that they're considered food, and not biological waste.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Yes you definitely need carbs, but what's important is where you're getting your carbs from. Starches like bread, sugar, some fruits, rice or flour should be avoided at all cost.
    Vegetables that grow above the ground will give you healthy carbs that you need. Avocado, spinach, Greek yogurt, kiwi fruits and cucumbers are my favorite. They're super nutritious and give me carbs I need.

I said "some" fruits.

I avoid bananas, but it's because I find them to be so vile that I'm shocked that they're considered food, and not biological waste.

I feel that way about peanut butter!
  • nomorepuke
    nomorepuke Posts: 320 Member
    edited January 2017
    Banana is very starchy. If you argue with that, go a head and test it with iodine . Most people consume banana for its potassium but avocado contains more potassium than banana does.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    edited January 2017
    Banana is very starchy. If you argue with that, go a head and test it with iodine . Most people consume banana for its potassium but avocado contains more potassium than banana does.

Why do I need to avoid starch?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I saw a comment way back about whole foods health bread, black or dark green. A cheaper option might be pumpernickel. I find the heavy rye breads sit better in my system and I don't get sleepy. Try the ryes.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

I consume banana because it's yummy.... especially with peanut butter!
  • Gallowmere1984

Bleh. I'll just keep getting my potassium from beef, chicken and fish. ;)
  • nomorepuke
    cityruss wrote: »

Why do I need to avoid starch?

Why do you?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator

But a banana taste a lot better than avocado unless i convert it into guac and at the point its like 4x the amount of calories as my banana.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »

But a banana taste a lot better than avocado unless i convert it into guac and at the point its like 4x the amount of calories as my banana.

And peanut butter and avocado sandwiches just don't taste quite the same either.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »

And peanut butter and avocado sandwiches just don't taste quite the same either.

Have you ever tried them without bread/crackers?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Have you ever tried them without bread/crackers?

Yes and they aren't as good.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member

There's nothing wrong with "starchy"...
  • Gallowmere1984
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

My preworkout black beans tend to agree.
  • nomorepuke
    edited January 2017
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Oh I agree! Nothing wrong with starches! I just happen to have problems with starchy carbs.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2017
    As far as the OP, go with whatever works for you. If carb-heavy meals bother your system, go light on them and up the protein/fat.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member

I said "some" fruits.

so what fruits are good and which ones are bad?
  • subcounter
    subcounter Posts: 2,382 Member
    Just gotta find your fav carb, and go for it. For me its oats. I just blend them making a smoothie, and can drink up high amounts, makes me feel full. Rice is another. Same thing, you can in so much carb by simply making a smoothie adding in some milk or what have you.
    Everyones body reacts to food differently. Trick is, just try them all!
  • rsmelser80
    rsmelser80 Posts: 3 Member
    I'm currently bulking with my carbs at 400g/day. I eat a lot of sweet potatoes and occasionally some bread. I tried a low carb/ high fat diet for a while and all I did was gain fat. I get the best results keeping my fat at or under 20% of my daily intake with a refeed 2-4 times a month.

Have you tried weight gaining supplements? If eating carbs is hard, maybe try drinking them. Most weight gainers are real high carb.