Best 3 lifts?

Replies

• jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    edited November 2017
    Z_I_L_L_A wrote: »
    Surgically repaired right shoulder 4 years ago, so yeah, you can come back after surgery.

I cringe when I see that grip. Every video I've seen of some dude benching getting squashed by the bar and killed was because of that grip. :s

I know, that it's a very rare occurance, but it's one of my phobias... along with dropping a heavy assed dumbbell on my face, which has almost happened. lol
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    Z_I_L_L_A wrote: »
    Surgically repaired right shoulder 4 years ago, so yeah, you can come back after surgery.

I cringe when I see that grip. Every video I've seen of some dude benching getting squashed by the bar and killed was because of that grip. :s

I know, that it's a very rare occurance, but it's one of my phobias... along with dropping a heavy assed dumbbell on my face, which has almost happened. lol

Yeah, I know. Been doing it forever, did 505 lbs when I was 34, same grip, weighed 270. Did a 405 incline too. Working on changing my grip back but it hurts my wrist to do regular grip. I did 360 this past Saturday on the incline, hoping to get back to 405. Not bad for a broken down 51 year old.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    sarahlifts wrote: »
    I don't have 1RM but my best lifts for reps

5'7 /8ish
    167 lbs (bulk life)

Squat 170 lbs X 3
    Dead lift 225 lb x 5
    Bench 90 lbs x 3 (I just began benching 3 week ago)
    Overhead standing Military press 80 lbs x 5

Hawt dang, lady! Impressive! Very nice. Lots and lots of very hard work. Great progress....amazing numbers.

Thank you! finding out how strong I am has been a life changing experience! Goal, squat 225 one day I will eventually get there.

You will totally get there. You are getting close. For me, 180lbs on Squat was a milestone. And, at 200lbs, things start getting heavy (meaning: when you put the bar on your back and you walk out, I know that there is something on my back). You will totally get two big plates on each side for your squat. You already have it on the dead lift.

Are you following a program? Or, just doing?

for now just doing/ upper lower split but I am taking a long look at Starting Strength. I already low bar squat and have used their methods to add weight to the bar continually. I even began benching bc of Starting Strength.

I'm getting fractional plates lifting shoes and a belt for Christmas after nearly 5 complete years of lifting, I feel I need them lol

• LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Awesome.

I am doing Strong Lifts 5x5 now.....will "graduate" to MadCows (the Intermediate program for Strong Lift 5x5 grads) and will then follow Johnny Candito's Intermediate Program. I have never followed a program and have put "running" these three programs at the top of my priority's list. Even above the Power Lifting competition.

To be honest, I am thinking of using the "The Bridge" program once I am done with these three as my "serious" Power Lifting program. And, yes - The Bridge is the Intermediate program for Starting Strength grads... I downloaded and printed the .pdf out and read it last night (twice). Gonna sit on it for a day or two and then read it again.

Enjoy the belt. I have yet to use one but am not hitting numbers yet where I feel the need. But, getting closer!!!!
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    I've thought of doing Strong Lifts too!!! I need to go back and have a look at that one.
    It sounds like you are doing some amazing work.

I am still a novice and I am going to enjoy being just that for a while. I think I can pull over 225 belt less and squat 185 X 1 belt less, I just don't think I should lol I really want to do this forever. I plan to take every precautionary measure.

this time last year I was limping around on a swollen knee. It turned out to be Arthritis. Before getting that diagnosis I was told it could be everything under the sun. thinking I would be out of lifting for life has made me truly cautious.

• LiftHeavyThings27105
    I've thought of doing Strong Lifts too!!! I need to go back and have a look at that one.
    It sounds like you are doing some amazing work.

I am still a novice and I am going to enjoy being just that for a while. I think I can pull over 225 belt less and squat 185 X 1 belt less, I just don't think I should lol I really want to do this forever. I plan to take every precautionary measure.

this time last year I was limping around on a swollen knee. It turned out to be Arthritis. Before getting that diagnosis I was told it could be everything under the sun. thinking I would be out of lifting for life has made me truly cautious.

Smart.......recovery is becoming a HUGE part of my plan.

And, being cautious is a good thing.

You said it right...."doing this for life". It is absolutely my lifestyle now. Not to be too forward (well, I am not really shy....) but any woman in my life *HAS* to have the same life style. Period ! It is just too important to me. So, I absolutely plan on doing this for the rest of my life!

I am *NOT* going to be the guy that has to go to an Assisted Living situation because I can not get up off of the toilette! I mean, that is legit a thing....I hear about it all the time. Not gonna be me!!!!!

Listen to your body....listen to that voice in your head. You are going to be fine!
  • Currently BW- 160.2.
    Squats 1RM- 235 lbs
    Deads- 1RM - 335
    Bench- 1RM -235

Yes, I suck at life. But also, I only do strength training once every 2 weeks due to shoulder injuries.
  • 53 year old beginner (well 8 months a beginner) 5'2"
    DL 1 RM 200
    Squat 1 RM 173
    Bench - no idea as I have a total mental block/fear of this lift...so weird. LOL.
  • QuikDogs
    QuikDogs Posts: 194 Member
    I'm feeling beat up today after deads last night. My program is I follow the program my coach writes...next week is max out week for deads, front squat, and bench. Tonight it's max out lo-bar back squat. I'm tired already. But I will do it. So right now:

(59 yr old female before you ask)

Squat (low bar BS style) 143
    Squat (front style) 154
    Bench 105
    Deadlift in gym 242 seems pretty heavy
    Deadlift in a meet 270 seems kind light lol
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Female, 5'5", 133 lbs, 35 years old, reformed runner

Squat: 180#
    Deadlift: 200# (Working on grip strength)
    Bench: 115#

And for funsies, OHP: 100#
  • ruhebarb
    ruhebarb Posts: 2 Member
    I'll play. 5'4" female, 150-ish lbs. I've been lifting for about a year and a half and still feel like a newbie most of the time.

Recent 1RM tests:
    Squat: 205
    Deadlift: 240
    Bench: 95 (rebuilding after a shoulder issue earlier in the year)

I've been toying with the idea of signing up for a local powerlifting meet next spring, just to do it, but am honestly kinda terrified by the thought.
  • QuikDogs
    slotherina wrote: »
    I'll play. 5'4" female, 150-ish lbs. I've been lifting for about a year and a half and still feel like a newbie most of the time.

Recent 1RM tests:

I've been toying with the idea of signing up for a local powerlifting meet next spring, just to do it, but am honestly kinda terrified by the thought.

Do it! Meets are so much fun!
  • QuikDogs
    10 kg PR tonight in back squat, now at 70kgs. Celebrated by coming home and slicing up my thumb while making dinner. Lol
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    QuikDogs wrote: »

Recent 1RM tests:

@slotherina - DITTO! Do it. I am going to compete in Denver, NC in March, 2018. First time ever doing something like this. Really looking forward to it. :wink:
  • QuikDogs
    QuikDogs wrote: »

Recent 1RM tests:

@slotherina - DITTO! Do it. I am going to compete in Denver, NC in March, 2018. First time ever doing something like this. Really looking forward to it. :wink:

I've done two real meets and a non sanctioned deadlift only. The first meet I won three samurai swords. The second meet I won two sort of ugly hunks of metal, ie trophies. My next meet is in January and they are giving axes away to the division winners. I really really want an axe. Here's hoping. If not, I'll settle for some state records. :)
  • thepragmattic
    thepragmattic Posts: 16 Member
    Squat: 435
    Deadlift: 470
    Bench: 305
    Rack Pulls: 545x3 (585 1RM)

For overall strength, my bench is lagging a little (prefer to be at 75% of squat) and I'm working on upping my deadlift. Ideally, DL should be @ 520-525.
  • ruhebarb
    ruhebarb Posts: 2 Member

Good luck! The meet I'm looking at is also in March - hoping my bench has caught up a little more by then. It's frustratingly sad right now. :#
  • LiftHeavyThings27105

Good luck! The meet I'm looking at is also in March - hoping my bench has caught up a little more by then. It's frustratingly sad right now. :#

It will.....just work at it (and do not forget about that thing called "recovery"!
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    37 y/o, female, 137lbs

Current gym PRs:
    Squat: 205lbs
    Bench: 140lbs
    DL: 265lbs

2 months left until 4th pl competition...maybe a 225 squat???