220kg deadlifts
    120kg bench press
    160kg squats
  • vinceno21
    vinceno21 Posts: 32 Member
    vinceno21 wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    I don't test my 1RM for another 3 weeks, but here is what I currently do for 6 reps, at 3 sets; and for fun, I did a 1RM calculator). I am 178lbs.

DL/Squat - 235lbs (Est 1RM 275)
    Bench - 155lb (Est 1RM 185)

Following: Bigger Leaner Stronger. I am in week 5. With very little/inconsistent heavy lifting prior. I did 4 weeks of 5/3/1 until lift got in the way.

Not to burst your bubble but the strength calculator is not that accurate and you cant base your 1rm off of that. You should get your numbers way up before you start offering your coaching on peoples routines.

Bench - 325lb
    Squat - 425
    DL - 455

This wasn't the only poster to mention using a 1RM calculator.
    Are we going to call everyone else out as well or is your beef personal?

How about you read the thread before jumping to conclusions. I called him out because he was telling a noob to start going heavier and cut down the reps. MY POINT IS WHO CARES ABOUT WEIGHT WHEN YOU STILL HAVENT LEARNED THE MOVEMENT PROPERLY!!!

So he's doing the movement improperly because he's not stronger than he is? Or? How are you to know that he's doing it improperly based on his # s and comments here?

Ok cool no need to pry at the discussion. Thanks
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    edited February 2017
    SideSteel wrote: »
    tross0924 wrote: »
    I don't test my 1RM for another 3 weeks, but here is what I currently do for 6 reps, at 3 sets; and for fun, I did a 1RM calculator). I am 178lbs.

Following: Bigger Leaner Stronger. I am in week 5. With very little/inconsistent heavy lifting prior. I did 4 weeks of 5/3/1 until lift got in the way.

Not to burst your bubble but the strength calculator is not that accurate and you cant base your 1rm off of that. You should get your numbers way up before you start offering your coaching on peoples routines.

Bench - 325lb
    Squat - 425
    DL - 455

Squat - 525
    Deads - 600
    Bench - 375

Dude, you should get your numbers way up before you throw shade at other people for their numbers.

Listen, I never threw the guy shade for his numbers ok? I'm not one to say oh you're weak so don't speak. That type of mentality is such a waste. I was telling him that if you're a beginner you shouldn't jump straight into powerlifting routines if you don't even have the basics down. Also, it seems like you are a bit hypocritical by sying dont throw someone shade about their numbers then say I should get mine up. Great job you're strong and you also have been lifting for 10 more years than I have lol.

Yes, you did. You told him he needs to be stronger before he offers advice on programming.

The root of my comment was him telling a beginner to go heavier and drop the reps before they learn the movement. You are correct I definitely did come off wrong and didn't mean it like that. My point is don't take advice from people who haven't really accomplished much in the sport. Am I saying I have accomplished a lot? Not at all! I firmly believe in proper technique over throwing on a bunch of weight and crossing your fingers that you don't get inured. Not trying to argue with you guys and I don't take anything personally. I played football as a youth and was surrounded by a bunch of uneducated football coaches who tore up kids bodies in the gym with their barbaric ways of lifting.

You are making an assumption that someone with 2 years of lifting experience doesn't know the movement. That's entirely assumption on your part since you haven't seen footage of him lifting.
  • vinceno21

Bench - 325lb
    Squat - 425
    DL - 455

Squat - 525
    Deads - 600
    Bench - 375

Dude, you should get your numbers way up before you throw shade at other people for their numbers.

Listen, I never threw the guy shade for his numbers ok? I'm not one to say oh you're weak so don't speak. That type of mentality is such a waste. I was telling him that if you're a beginner you shouldn't jump straight into powerlifting routines if you don't even have the basics down. Also, it seems like you are a bit hypocritical by sying dont throw someone shade about their numbers then say I should get mine up. Great job you're strong and you also have been lifting for 10 more years than I have lol.

Yes, you did. You told him he needs to be stronger before he offers advice on programming.

The root of my comment was him telling a beginner to go heavier and drop the reps before they learn the movement. You are correct I definitely did come off wrong and didn't mean it like that. My point is don't take advice from people who haven't really accomplished much in the sport. Am I saying I have accomplished a lot? Not at all! I firmly believe in proper technique over throwing on a bunch of weight and crossing your fingers that you don't get inured. Not trying to argue with you guys and I don't take anything personally. I played football as a youth and was surrounded by a bunch of uneducated football coaches who tore up kids bodies in the gym with their barbaric ways of lifting.

You are making an assumption that someone with 2 years of lifting experience doesn't know the movement. That's entirely assumption on your part since you haven't seen footage of him lifting.

He said 2 years with a ton of gaps so thats not 2 years and thats no time under the bar man. Yes I could be making some assumptions but you all are taking my comments the wrong way completely. So being the online coach that you are you dont agree that form trumps all?
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member

Bench - 325lb
    Squat - 425
    DL - 455

How about you read the thread before jumping to conclusions. I called him out because he was telling a noob to start going heavier and cut down the reps. MY POINT IS WHO CARES ABOUT WEIGHT WHEN YOU STILL HAVENT LEARNED THE MOVEMENT PROPERLY!!!

So he's doing the movement improperly because he's not stronger than he is? Or? How are you to know that he's doing it improperly based on his # s and comments here?

Lol last I checked this was a public forum and the point is for the public to engage in discussion with others. Just like you felt the need to pry at the discussion that didn't involve you. :)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member

Bench - 325lb
    Squat - 425
    DL - 455

Squat - 525
    Deads - 600
    Bench - 375

Worth noting, the person in question is 138lbs and can squat over 170x10 and deadlift 185x10, and bench 145x10.

That is absolutely NOT a beginner.

Now, you can't tell whether or not someone has good technique without seeing it, so who knows.

However IF the goal for that person is to develop 1rm strength, it's very reasonable advice to tell him to spend some time training in a lower rep range while appropriately adjusting the load, since this will have greater specificity towards the goal of 1rm strength development.
  • vinceno21

Bench - 325lb
    Squat - 425
    DL - 455

Lol last I checked this was a public forum and the point is for the public to engage in discussion with others. Just like you felt the need to pry at the discussion that didn't involve you. :)

You clearly want to argue and I don't care to argue with you at all. You're not asking anything different from the last guys posts so I don't see the need to engage with someone who is trying to make me look like the bad guy lol.
  • joshmeisl
    joshmeisl Posts: 5 Member
    Squat's 200lb
    Deadlift is 295lb
    Bench is 185lbs
  • vinceno21
    edited February 2017

Bench - 325lb
    Squat - 425
    DL - 455

Squat - 525
    Deads - 600
    Bench - 375

He said 2 years with a ton of gaps so thats not 2 years and thats no time under the bar man. Yes I could be making some assumptions but you all are taking my comments the wrong way completely. So being the online coach that you are you dont agree that form trumps all?

I agree that in training you should generally not use poor technique but this is a strawman argument because you are making assumptions about the skill level of the lifter.

His strength to weight ratio suggests he is absolutely not a beginner.

As it pertains to program design the advice he was given is solid and I would tell him the same thing.

You make some great points. Genetics definitely play a huge factor too so you cant just look at numbers and form an opinion.. Still think you're out of pocket when you say you'd offer the same advice when you haven't seen him lift either.
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    rasalmihir wrote: »
    Damn, this thread makes me feel so weak. Great numbers y'all! I have never tried 1RMs, but these are my highest numbers during regular sets.

Squat - 172lbs/ 68kg (x15)
    Bench - 140lbs/ 56kg (x10)
    Deadlift - 185lbs/ 74kg (x10)

I'm 138pounds and 6'0" tall. I know, skinny AF and I need to up my game. Been working out for 2 years with a lot of gaps.

If you want to feel strong, stop doing crazy amount of reps. Work closer to the 4-6 rep range and the increases in strength will occur much faster.

Also, why are we bothering with really weird tiny plates? Haha, I'm sure there's some method to the madness but considering your volume, I don't think it's worth to time to scrouge up 1kg or 2.5lb discs in the gym.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,388 MFP Moderator

Bench - 325lb
    Squat - 425
    DL - 455

Did you read that i said for fun? I know they are not accurate.

And why would my numbers matter? Knowledge isnt directly correlated with how much you lift. Look at Lyle McDonald.

Since you added to your comment i'll address that as well. Are you comparing yourself to Lyle Mcdonald? Anything physical requires much trial and error to achieve your goals. Nobody usually jumps on a compound movement and naturally has great form without hours of practice and failure. Never should you take advice from people who read a few articles and regurgitate what they read without actually experiencing it.

No, i am not. I do not have the experience or qualifications of him. And i know it was accurate.

So at what weight do i nees to lifr before i can offer valid advice? Do i get any additional for things like the severe tendinitis in both my forearms and wrist? How about the arthritis building up in my shoulders? Maybe the sciatica issues i have dealt with.

Knowledge does come with experience. But being able to lift big doesn't mean you are knowledgeable. It can mean you had a good teacher of form and a solid plan. It also might mean that you did that and combine with enhancers to get you there.

So if you want to judge me, fine but do it on my knowledge, not how much i lift.

Strength comes with experience and knowledge. Ask any power lifter out there and they will tell you how they have learned so much from their injuries that have happened over time and how they have adapted (tweaking technique, routines, weight, therapy etc). As to your injuries, I can tell that you probably practiced incorrect form and developed some bad habits. Me personally I have had my share of injuries, but I corrected them all and have zero pain in my body at the moment. Also, i believe I did judge you on your knowledge. Any beginner should spend as much time as possible learning proper technique versus jumping straight into power lifting routines, which lead to a list of injuries due to under development. Yes I am all about moving big weight, but I am more concerned about practicing proper technique over anything. I never said you cant offer advice i'm just making it clear to people that you need to take people with little experience recommendations with a grain of salt.

Hate break it to you but my injuries came well before my lifting career. But nice assumption.
  • vinceno21
    edited February 2017

Bench - 325lb
    Squat - 425
    DL - 455

And why would my numbers matter? Knowledge isnt directly correlated with how much you lift. Look at Lyle McDonald.

Since you added to your comment i'll address that as well. Are you comparing yourself to Lyle Mcdonald? Anything physical requires much trial and error to achieve your goals. Nobody usually jumps on a compound movement and naturally has great form without hours of practice and failure. Never should you take advice from people who read a few articles and regurgitate what they read without actually experiencing it.

No, i am not. I do not have the experience or qualifications of him. And i know it was accurate.

So at what weight do i nees to lifr before i can offer valid advice? Do i get any additional for things like the severe tendinitis in both my forearms and wrist? How about the arthritis building up in my shoulders? Maybe the sciatica issues i have dealt with.

Knowledge does come with experience. But being able to lift big doesn't mean you are knowledgeable. It can mean you had a good teacher of form and a solid plan. It also might mean that you did that and combine with enhancers to get you there.

So if you want to judge me, fine but do it on my knowledge, not how much i lift.

Strength comes with experience and knowledge. Ask any power lifter out there and they will tell you how they have learned so much from their injuries that have happened over time and how they have adapted (tweaking technique, routines, weight, therapy etc). As to your injuries, I can tell that you probably practiced incorrect form and developed some bad habits. Me personally I have had my share of injuries, but I corrected them all and have zero pain in my body at the moment. Also, i believe I did judge you on your knowledge. Any beginner should spend as much time as possible learning proper technique versus jumping straight into power lifting routines, which lead to a list of injuries due to under development. Yes I am all about moving big weight, but I am more concerned about practicing proper technique over anything. I never said you cant offer advice i'm just making it clear to people that you need to take people with little experience recommendations with a grain of salt.

Hate break it to you but my injuries came well before my lifting career. But nice assumption.

Hate to break it to you but its not an assumption when we are on the topic of lifting weights and you talk about injuries in the middle of your argument in regards to the discussion. Any normal person would correlate that to the discussion. Be more clear if you choose to disagree. If we are talking about heavy weights and you bring up your injuries in the middle of your comment most would think those were caused by a movement.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,388 MFP Moderator

Bench - 325lb
    Squat - 425
    DL - 455

Hate to break it to you but its not an assumption when we are on the topic of lifting weights and you talk about injuries in the middle of your argument in regards to the discussion. Any normal person would correlate that to the discussion.

Novel concept but you could ask questions prior to commenting. Then you can make an actual informed argument.
  • vinceno21

Bench - 325lb
    Squat - 425
    DL - 455

Hate to break it to you but its not an assumption when we are on the topic of lifting weights and you talk about injuries in the middle of your argument in regards to the discussion. Any normal person would correlate that to the discussion.

Novel concept but you could ask questions prior to commenting. Then you can make an actual informed argument.

An easier solution would be to stay relevant and don't go off topic. If you choose to go off topic then you need to be more clear. How can you prove any points if you're not actually explaining yourself properly? If you told us that you have injuries from things outside of weight lifting then I would have probably stopped commenting long ago.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    aelunyu wrote: »
    Damn, this thread makes me feel so weak. Great numbers y'all! I have never tried 1RMs, but these are my highest numbers during regular sets.

I'm 138pounds and 6'0" tall. I know, skinny AF and I need to up my game. Been working out for 2 years with a lot of gaps.

If you want to feel strong, stop doing crazy amount of reps. Work closer to the 4-6 rep range and the increases in strength will occur much faster.

Also, why are we bothering with really weird tiny plates? Haha, I'm sure there's some method to the madness but considering your volume, I don't think it's worth to time to scrouge up 1kg or 2.5lb discs in the gym.

y u no like cookies?
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member

Bench - 325lb
    Squat - 425
    DL - 455

You clearly want to argue and I don't care to argue with you at all. You're not asking anything different from the last guys posts so I don't see the need to engage with someone who is trying to make me look like the bad guy lol.

The "last guys posts" were not there when I was writing my comment.
    Apparently the way I phrased it was just looking for an argument though. Ok.

• aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    aelunyu wrote: »

Actually it would make more sense at higher volumes since making a five or 10 pound jump on a set of 15 reps is a lot more challenging than making a five or 10 pound jump on a set of four.

Maybe I'm missing something. It's harder of course but the numbers seem arbitrary, and hard to achieve with regular gym weights...either kilo or lb. My point was maybe to just do 175/145/185 for the same reps. We're not talking about 10 to 15 here....
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Are we still talking numbers here?
    Recent PRs
    Squat 240
    Deadlift 290
    Bench...bench is stupid.

I'm hoping for a 250 squat and 300 DL by the end of March.