When to up the weight?

I hit my PR on squats and deadlifts for 5 sets of 5. should I stay at this weight until i can do something like 3x10? or up the weight and continue trying to hit 5x5 with a higher weight?
Thanks!

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    If you can hit 5x5 at that stage, I would increase by 5lbs. Are you doing Stronglifts? It increases by 5lbs (except 10 for deads) as long as you hit 5x5.

Congrats on the PR!
  • Bradywho1
    Bradywho1 Posts: 22 Member
    Do a deload week! You'll be surprised how much stronger you are after one week and your body and joints will thank you!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Have you deloaded at all? Really depends. Do you always train 5x5?
  • goldenbeaut
    goldenbeaut Posts: 47 Member
    If you can hit 5x5 at that stage, I would increase by 5lbs. Are you doing Stronglifts? It increases by 5lbs (except 10 for deads) as long as you hit 5x5.

Congrats on the PR!

Thanks! I did do stronglifts for about 9 months then moved on to PHUL for a few months and now i'm kinda doing a mix of both programs until I find another program I like
  • goldenbeaut
    goldenbeaut Posts: 47 Member
    Brady & Bbell -- I've heard of the term 'deload' but have never actually done it. So how much would I deload?
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member

Congrats on the PR!

Thanks! I did do stronglifts for about 9 months then moved on to PHUL for a few months and now i'm kinda doing a mix of both programs until I find another program I like

I see. I did PHUL with my power days like 5/3/1

You don't always have to run a linear program. You can do 5x3 at heavier weight, 4x6, etc.

To deload just decrease volume or intensity for a week. Go to like 60% of max.