Woman new to lifting

So I am a 37y woman who just started lifting this month and as of today will be working with a trainer to develop 3 cycles to rotate with when at the gym. I'm currently eating around maintenance while starting this. I'm still 20lb from goal weight but need to add some muscle so I want to bulk then cut back down.

What advice do any of you have for a woman my age new to lifting and seeking gains?

Replies

• FlufferCat
    FlufferCat Posts: 39 Member
    Consistency works.It may feel like you're doing a lot of work,and you have expectations.Where are my impressive arms? You'll get there.Lifting is effective.It's not about emotion,and motivation as much as a commitment to the process.
    If you're following advice,listen to good people.Good education.Not fitness people who are egotists trying to get attention.
    A few people I like;Will Brink.He's no nonsense and has good advice about supplements.(Most of them are overblown).
    Jerry Brainum.Long time bodybuilding writer.
    The Starting Strength channel on YouTube has good lifting videos.

Sound nutrition is important.But don't get into faddish ideas.I have a protein shake after I lift.It's convenient.But protein shakes,and supplements are just helpful.
    I do find Creatine helpful to me.Maybe I'm lucky.
    Good food.Good lifting.And plenty of sleep.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Thanks! I check out the youtube recommendation tomorrow.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited January 2017
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    So I am a 37y woman who just started lifting this month and as of today will be working with a trainer to develop 3 cycles to rotate with when at the gym. I'm currently eating around maintenance while starting this. I'm still 20lb from goal weight but need to add some muscle so I want to bulk then cut back down.

What advice do any of you have for a woman my age new to lifting and seeking gains?
    If you still have 20 lbs to lose, start there. Bulking while overfat is far from optimal and will likely lead to great amounts of fat gained over muscle. The leaner you are, the more prime and less insulin sensitive you are. This allows for optimal muscle gains.

If you are new to lifting, you are in a good position to gain a little muscle while losing fat pending you have a good progressive overload lifting program and adequate nutrient. Eat between .6 to 1g of protein per lb of weight and have a moderate deficit (10 to 15% below maintenance).

This list has a lot of good suggestions for lifting programs. The focus should be on the big 4 (deadlift, squat, ohp and bench). And each week you should have an increase in volume (weight x reps x sets).

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • FlufferCat
    FlufferCat Posts: 39 Member
    I would add that it can be helpful to keep track of your progress.
    Take body measurements now to compare later.I think that you can enter those numbers here on MFP.In the check in section? Measurements can show you that you are making progress.Waist,hips,legs,arms etc...You'll see a positive change.
    And get a notebook to track your exercises.Write down the date,and exercises done,weight lifted.
    You can see the weights going up,and that will be inspiring to continue the work.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I agree with psuLemon. Not time to bulk. Stay in a slight deficit and lift. You can gain strength and retain muscle while losing fat. What's your program?
  • SCoil123
    I agree with psuLemon. Not time to bulk. Stay in a slight deficit and lift. You can gain strength and retain muscle while losing fat. What's your program?

I'm working with a trainer who is setting up 3 different work outs for me to rotate at the gym and build on. In the meanwhile I'd been doing 30min cardio followed by 30 min of either upper or lower body focus in the weight room. I just got my trainer and had my assesment Thursday.

Since I'm not overly confident with my form on a lot of the equipment yet Ive been using the few leg machines I know and doing a free weight arms routine I found online with some pushups on upper body days.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    SCoil123 wrote: »

I'm working with a trainer who is setting up 3 different work outs for me to rotate at the gym and build on. In the meanwhile I'd been doing 30min cardio followed by 30 min of either upper or lower body focus in the weight room. I just got my trainer and had my assesment Thursday.

Since I'm not overly confident with my form on a lot of the equipment yet Ive been using the few leg machines I know and doing a free weight arms routine I found online with some pushups on upper body days.

I would recommend that you ask the trainer to have you focus on the big 4 lifts. They should be the foundation of the programs.
  • SCoil123
    Will do thanks...seeing him at the gym tomorrow