Weight loss during illness?

For the past 2-3 weeks I've been pretty much house and sofa bound with a nasty and persistent chest infection. Until then I was gaining steadily at around .25 kg per week. I've not been working out or exercising anything like as much as usual and yet when I weighed myself today I've lost 2 lbs! I'd expected more of a gain as I've been sedentary.
Could it be the infection? Maybe constant coughing is the same as a workout! And yes I'm in touch with my doctor and on bedrest and antibiotics.

Replies

• Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    Are you eating less? Calories make the difference on the weight much more than working out.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    No that's just it - I've been eating the same amount of calories!
  • Stella3838
    Are you suuuuuuuure? :) Do you weigh all your solid food and measure liquids? Weight loss is pretty scientific. Less calories in than out.
  • comptonelizabeth
    Lol - yes I'm sure;I've been weighing everything meticulously! I've not felt like eating big meals but have kept up the calories with high calorie snacks
  • comptonelizabeth
    I'm convinced it's the coughing !
    I've always been asthmatic and years ago (many years ago )the doctor told my mother that asthmatics require more calories. Though in my head I feel that's probably nonsense
  • Stella3838
    My only other thought at the moment is are you dehydrated? I know when I'm sick I have to drink a TON of liquids to feel like I'm keeping up. Wonder if it might be lost water weight.
  • comptonelizabeth
    Ah - you could have a point there. I know I've not been drinking enough fluids. Thank you.
  • Stella3838
    Chug-a-lug!! :) Hope you feel better soon!
  • comptonelizabeth
    Thank you! :smile:
  • letsgain01
    letsgain01 Posts: 106 Member
    I'm convinced it's the coughing !
    I've always been asthmatic and years ago (many years ago )the doctor told my mother that asthmatics require more calories. Though in my head I feel that's probably nonsense

As someone also with asthma I can confirm. But it's not so much that it's particularly significant. Think about the fact that some form of steroids is in most asthma medication, the extra work your lungs have to do in order to perform like everyone else's, plus the way most asthma medications make your heart race.
  • comptonelizabeth
    Yeah I guess so. Back then there were fewer kids with asthma and you could pick them out by their skinny legs,white faces and dark circles under the eyes!
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    +1 on leaning towards water weight
  • comptonelizabeth
    Am glugging right now ! :smile:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    If you were exercising previously, then its probably the water weight associated with exercise that has deminished.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    If you were exercising previously, then its probably the water weight associated with exercise that has deminished.

Yep. Not needing the extra water for muscle repair, combined with the previously mentioned lower fluid intake almost certainly indicates less water weight.
  • edickson76
    edickson76 Posts: 107 Member
    Water weight and your body's metabolism will increase slightly as it fights off infection. I was sick for a week last month and had the same experience. I tried to increase caloric intake, but found it very difficult because I had such little appetite.
  • comptonelizabeth

TR0berts wrote: »

Yep. Not needing the extra water for muscle repair, combined with the previously mentioned lower fluid intake almost certainly indicates less water weight.

Thanks both - that does make sense.
    edickson76 wrote: »
    Water weight and your body's metabolism will increase slightly as it fights off infection. I was sick for a week last month and had the same experience. I tried to increase caloric intake, but found it very difficult because I had such little appetite.

That's reassuring- not that I want anyone to be ill!
  • deviousme7
    deviousme7 Posts: 61 Member
    edited January 2017
    You will probably find it's a loss in muscle.

I was very sick for three months, couldn't get out of bed, didn't eat or drink or had a couple of bites of something every couple of days and lost 2.5kg every week to total of 18kg, lost muscle and strength big time because of little physical movement, after a time in hospital slowing gaining my strength took 6 months, after three months started losing my hair due to not eating - don't recommend that

Plus the weight lost while sick goes back on very quickly
  • comptonelizabeth
    deviousme7 wrote: »
    You will probably find it's a loss in muscle.

I was very sick for three months, couldn't get out of bed, didn't eat or drink or had a couple of bites of something every couple of days and lost 2.5kg every week to total of 18kg, lost muscle and strength big time because of little physical movement, after a time in hospital slowing gaining my strength took 6 months, after three months started losing my hair due to not eating - don't recommend that

Plus the weight lost while sick goes back on very quickly

Thanks- I hope so. Poor you,sounds horrible.
    I've realised also that generally,I have a glass of wine (or 2!) most evenings. Since I've been on antibiotics I've avoided alcohol. So though I've still maintained the same amount of calories I think alcohol is processed differently so that may make a difference
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    If you have been febrile at all or had a high respiratory rate your metabolic rate would be elevated during those times.