3rd: 0 miles, Pilates and strength training- MTD
    4th: 3.12 miles Park Run - MTD 6.54
    5th: 0 miles - MTD 6.54
    6th: 0 miles, Pilates and strength training- MTD
    7th: 5.15 miles club run - MTD 11.69
    8th: 0 miles, Pilates and strength training- MTD
    9th: 2.18 miles, club speed training - MTD 13.87
    10th: 0 miles, Pilates and strength training- MTD
    11th: 3.82 miles, my first Cross Country - I wasn't last (quite) - MTD 17.69
    12th: 0 miles - MTD 17.69
    Edited - ticker playing up!!
  • mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    FEBRUARY Running challenge
    Goal: 50 km
    Done: 32/18 km
    A crazy day, run time improved 3 minutes. Besides that walked 7 km. Bit tired and sleepy now. Planning to run 10 km once every week. Happy Monday everyone.

13/2/17 Run 10 km
    7/2/17 Run 10 km
    5/2/17 Run 5 km
    2/2/17 Run 7 km
    1/2/17 Rest day slow walk 3 km
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    @girlinahat - Nice bling!

3 very slow miles this morning. I know my legs were tired from the cycling but it seemed like it was more than that. So after I got back home and saw that I was dripping sweat on the floor (which hasn't happened in a while), checked the weather and it was 90% humidity. Usually I can tell when it is so humid, but the temp was only 60 so it just didn't feel humid. Hopefully we get at least one more cold front before the awful heat/humidity is here to stay.

2/1 - strength training
    2/2 - 4.30 miles
    2/3 - rest day(5)
    2/4 - cycling 34 miles
    2/5 - Daytona HM - 2:22.01
    2/6 - Strength training
    2/7 - 3.5 miles
    2/8 - Strength training + 3.1 miles with running group
    2/9 - rest day (6)
    2/10 - 4.1 miles
    2/11 - 44 miles biking
    2/12 - 53 miles of very hilly biking
    2/13 - 3.2 miles

exercise.png

Upcoming races
    2/5/17 - Daytona Beach HM
    2/26/17 - Disney Princess HM Orlando
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    2/1- 8.1
    2/2- REST
    2/3- 4.23
    2/4- 14.11
    2/5- 3.16
    2/6- 6.16
    2/7- REST
    2/8- 8.09
    2/9- REST
    2/10- 4.04
    2.11- 14.01
    2/12- 3.04
    2/13- 6.06

Total: 71.00

Monthly goals:
    Mileage goal: 150
    Real Goal: Stay healthy enough to get into the swing of real marathon training.

Today's notes: Kinda of vanilla of a run, nothing great, nothing bad, just went out there and got my 6 miles in before work. It's day 4 of my first 6 day stretch of running, so we'll see how I'm feeling later.
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    @girlinahat Congrats on your distance run, and happy you were able to find a HM to sign up for.
    @ddmom0811 I don't envy your humidity...it gets absolutely nowhere near as bad here, and I hate that enough as it is!

--

Today's run was nothing spectacular other than it was a new route (one of several that I planned out over the weekend), so it made a nice refreshing change to the usual runs.

03 - 2.24 miles
    04 - 9.30
    06 - 11.67
    07 - 7.25
    08 - 12.43
    09 - 7.61
    10 - 16.13
    11 - 5.60
    13 - 13.46

Total: 85.69 / 125
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    @girlinahat Glad you found a half...cool bling!! You got this. I really love the HM distance. You don't have to run break neck speed like a 5K and the length is a challenge without killing yourself.
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Date Distance Total To Goal (55)
    2/1 3.0 Mi 3.0 52.0 Mi
    2/2 Yoga
    2/3 Rest
    2/4 5.0 Mi 8.0. 47.0 Mi
    2/5 Stretching and rest
    2/6 3.0 Mi 11.0 44.0 MI
    2/7 Rest
    2/8 1.5 Mi 12.5 42.5 Mi
    2/9 Rest (Insanity at work)
    2/10 Rest
    2/11 6.0 Mi 18.5 36.5 Mi
    2/12 Travel day for hockey
    2/13 3.0 Mi 21.5 33.5 Mi

I made up some of my missing mileage by going to the Rocky River Reservation Nature Center in the Cleveland Metroparks. It is easy to run miles there with other runners and walkers and not have to worry about traffic or road crossings. There are paved paths and trails and bridal paths so something for everyone, it is about half an hour away so a little difficult to get to for me. DS had last regular season hockey game on Sat so that will make things a little easier. We have our last out of town tournament for the season this weekend coming up then 3 in-town tournaments spread out over March and April then life will be good.

Which brings me to my question. I usually do my long run on Saturday but we will be in the Detroit area (Southfield to be exact) and I am leery of doing 6 miles alone in a strange area. Would it be horrible if I switched my Wednesday and Saturday runs? So Wednesday I would do 6 and Saturday I would do 4 instead of vise versa or is that a bad idea? My other option is to do 4 on Wed and 6 on Friday before we leave but then I will be sitting in a car for almost 3 hours and a freezing hockey rink for another 3 hours. What would be the best option?

March 11- St Malachi 5 miler (partial course preview for Cleveland Half)
    April 9 - Cleveland Towpath 5 miler (maybe)
    May 20 - Cleveland Marathon 8K (Maybe)
    May 21 - Cleveland Marathon Half
    June 10 - Run and Ride Cedar Point 5k
    June 11 - Run and Ride Cedar Point Half Marathon (Back up Plan) or Quarter Marathon

• dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Officially into marathon training today, but plan called for rest day today and 35mins tomorrow. As I've not run since Friday I decided instead to do a long(-ish) run today even though I didn't feel particularly good (headache), and then take it easy/rest tomorrow.

I set out along a route that would be around 14k - start up a steep hill pretty much straight from the door, then fairly flat/slow descent for a few km before coming back down a less steep hill at 6k-7k - all into a hard (& biting) headwind. I'd come back via a flat trail route, but hopefully with a decent tailwind, (cross at several points). If all was going well at end of route I planned to do a lap or two of the park at the end to extend my run out to the 110minutes prescribed in the plan for yesterday (had I started the plan from the beginning).

In the end my "100-110 minutes very easy" ended up being 99minutes (16km) which was anything but easy though mainly because of the hills/wind on the way out and the conditions underfoot on the way back. I also went a bit faster than true easy pace, and ended up averaging just a few seconds shy of MP. I don't mind being short on time though as I've done that sort of time on my feet multiple times before. Whilst I don't think I could have done much more today, it felt great to get a decent distance done after a few weeks.

exercise.png
    01-Feb: 1.7km treadmill intervals [TM]
    02-Feb: 3.4k treadmill [TM]
    05-Feb: 6.6k + 5.5k easy
    06-Feb: 7.5k tempo
    07-Feb: 4.1k easy
    10-Feb: 10k easy
    13-Feb: 16k MP

2017 Confirmed Races:
    19-Mar: Richmond Half Marathon
    14-May: Bexhill Starfish Marathon
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    @dkabambe what plan are you using for your marathon training?
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    @kimlight2 I don't see any reason you can't switch those distances around. It would probably be more of an impact if you ran a bigger distance, like 17 miles on Sunday and were moving an 18 mile run to Wednesday.

Not sure where you'll be in Detroit, but some of the suburbs are very nice and don't have the violence issues you hear about in the news. When I travel, I often check out maps to try to keep running outside. If I can't get much info or if I know I won't have the time, I just do the treadmill. When I went to the middle east last year, I stuck to the treadmill in Abu Dhabi and Dubai (both are very safe tourist type destinations) because of the heat. The "feels like" temps hit 130 a few times. Ugh!! But Afghanistan was nice and cool in the mornings and evenings so I ran outside on a track on base.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    2/1 - 3.4 'mill miles and a quick weight session. The scale was ugly today.
    2/2 - 4.1 treadmill miles.
    2/3 - Rest day.
    2/4 - 2.3 'mill miles and then Bodypump class
    2/5 - Super Bowl = no run AND way overeating.
    2/6 - 4.01 miles.
    2/7 - 4.25 miles.
    2/8 - Shoveled in lieu of running. I hate snow.
    2/9 - 5.3 treadmill miles. Trek class with a lot of "tempo".
    2/10 - 3.4 treadmill miles, then upper body weights.
    2/11 - 4.33 miles. Red Flannel Run. Was supposed to be a 5 mile course! Someone sure missed on that. I was very happy with my pace and would have finished the 5 in under 40:00, so I was a little disappointed with that.
    2/12 - 2.3 treadmill miles and Bodypump class.
    2/13 - 4.1 miles.

exercise.png

Planned Races
    4/8 - Beer and Bagel "Off Road"
    5/13 - Market to Market Relay
    6/3 - Dam to Dam HM
    10/15 - IMT Des Moines HM
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Date Miles today - Miles for February
    2/1 5 miles - 5
    2/2 10miles - 15
    2/3 5 miles - 20
    2/4 18 miles - 38
    2/5 REST DAY
    2/6 10 miles - 48
    2/7 10 miles - 58
    2/7 5 miles - 63 << Daily Double and leg workout in the gym
    2/8 5 miles - 68
    2/9 7.5 miles - 75.5
    2/10 REST DAY
    2/11 14 miles - 89.5
    2/12 REST DAY
    2/13 7 miles - 96.5

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30 << 44:57 PR
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25 << 1:20:22 1 in AG & 15 OA
    Huntsville Half Marathon - 11/12 << 1:35:55 2 in AG & 25 OA
    Rocket City Marathon - 12/10 << 2:44:41
    Elkmont Hound Dog Half (unofficial) - 1/21 << 1:46:48 2 OA
    Elkmont Hound Dog Half (rescheduled) - 2/18
    Kentucky Derby Marathon - 4/29

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Only 8.1 miles total last week. (only did strength training Tuesday-Saturday-Sunday, dancing started earlier on Friday). (Stuck with plan though, except for skipping Cooper Test-weather sucked..would not have been usable result and I was lazy and didn't replace it with a short easy run. I also got the long run out of the way the previous Sunday-so it is not int he weekly total). Total: 22.8 miles.

v8bm2z47alea.jpg

oqm32pkhuyem.jpg

Should catch up next week - plan calls for a ridiculous 26.7 miles (that I'll probably skimp on) (I'm not sure what Endomondo was smoking when it didn't shift the long run down from 12 miles to ~8 miles after last week). I am definitely NOT doing 12 miles unless the weather is optimal and I am feeling perfect (I've run exactly 1 half marathon and it was in September; and I was pretty toasted after the 10 miles a few weeks ago when the weather was perfect).

u0cegly0s68a.jpg
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    edited February 2017
    I've decided I need a ticker for my yearly mileage goal, lol. So, this is my ticker test post

ETA: success!

exercise.png
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    @kimlight2 I don't see any reason you can't switch those distances around. It would probably be more of an impact if you ran a bigger distance, like 17 miles on Sunday and were moving an 18 mile run to Wednesday.

Not sure where you'll be in Detroit, but some of the suburbs are very nice and don't have the violence issues you hear about in the news. When I travel, I often check out maps to try to keep running outside. If I can't get much info or if I know I won't have the time, I just do the treadmill. When I went to the middle east last year, I stuck to the treadmill in Abu Dhabi and Dubai (both are very safe tourist type destinations) because of the heat. The "feels like" temps hit 130 a few times. Ugh!! But Afghanistan was nice and cool in the mornings and evenings so I ran outside on a track on base.

If it's for a conference or something, a lot of times those are outside the inner city in a (boring) suburban-esque area along the outer ring roads that is pretty much just the airport, hotels, and a few restaurants. From Google maps, Southfield, MI appears to be one of those. I would take a look at satellite maps and pre-layout a decent route (this biggest issue will probably be safety from cars...these areas may or may not have shoveled sidewalks - they usually do have some sidewalks though (connecting hotels and nearby walkable restaurants)-but you'll want to doublecheck which roads/blocks these are going to be and how sparse they are--will affect the odds of whether they will be shoveled.

sl74zz51w681.jpg

• dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    edited February 2017
    @dkabambe what plan are you using for your marathon training?

@MNLittleFinn - I looked at a few last week and chose one purely because it had quite a bit of variety that would keep me interested, including some off-road and hills work. It's just one from a charity website so don't know what it's based on. Now I've looked at it in more detail I'm not sure I like it though. It's all based on times rather than distances which is OK - based on my running to date and hopeful finishing time I'm on the intermediate plan. However, some of the pace descriptions use terms they don't define - for example easy, jog and steady are defined but one of the runs says "slow" which is not defined. Nothing I can't work through mind so will stick with it for now.
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    edited February 2017
    @BeeerRunner and @ritzvin Thank you for your responses. I am not worried about violence as Southfield is a suburban-ish area. I am worried about the high traffic that is in that area. I am going for a hockey tournament so trying to fit a run in around games times and other team commitments is another issue. I have stayed at this hotel before for previous tourney's and it is in a very high traffic area that I am just not comfortable trying to run in. I think I can handle it for 4 miles or at worst hit the treadmill for that time. I am VERY slow so 4 miles is about an hour for me and I don't want to hog the 'mill for longer then that if I can help it. Again, thank you again for the help. :)

da40j4eim81g.jpg

Worst case scenario, there is a cemetery within a mile of the hotel which might be OK to run in if no one thinks that will be disrespectful.