WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2017

Options

Replies

• Charleen2
    Charleen2 Posts: 223 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Checking in.

January was a roller coaster - weight up by a couple of pounds due to the holidays, then I was able to lose it and a couple of more. So I had a net loss of 2 pounds when I really had lost 4 pounds. Confusing? At least it seemed to have worked with my January goal of 'Be Lighter'.

NY Karen and Rori - Glad you both could get together and enjoy the lunch. Good seeing you!

Since the January goal worked well, I am making it my February goal. I will also add 'Be Kinder' as well.

Charleen in Colordo (Busy quilting)
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Happy February (already!) -

Betty - Your friend might look for a swim coach who teaches adult beginners. There was a class like that in the pool where I swam, and the coach was absolutely wonderful, taking things very slow. They spent at least one whole session just learning to put their faces in the water... that may be a little too slow for your friend, but my point is they take it a little at a time and have the patience to help people work through fear. Your friend might also be able to get "back in the saddle" by starting out with a kickboard.

Sherry - It sounds like you really found a couple of angels. So happy that worked out! And happy that you have a new attorney who'll work hard for you.

Joyce - I feel for Michelle. We had two dogs who never did manage to work out their differences, so all we could do was manage their interactions. They were our dogs, not fosters, so this went on for many years. I loved them both dearly, but it really got exhausting sometimes. Most dog fights are all sound and fury, but these two were serious about killing each other. Anyhow, it sounds like her foster boxer needs someone who can give him serious attention (i.e., someone who can stay at home with him until he's comfortable in the crate). It feels like a failure, but not every foster home is right for every dog and she made the best decision for him.

Barbie - Thank you for leading us into a fresh new month, and snuzzles to your dogs!

awashin2 - Consider yourself joined! And welcome!

Allie - You've made a hard choice and I wish you all the best. Making counseling a condition was a good call - it'll help you both identify and break old patterns.

Had a NWV at the doctor's office yesterday. She was understanding about the weight gain and my blood pressure was great. My doctor is familiar with MFP and I told her how much this group was supporting my journey. On top of that, this morning's weigh-in showed a nice weight loss for the week. Yippee!

I also didn't realize until she asked me about it that the nighttime anxiety has been nearly gone. That's a sign the antidepressant is doing its job. It's always been that way for me with this med - there's no sudden change, but one day the realization just quietly slips into my mind that I'm feeling like "me" again.

Time to get to work. I hope you all have a happy, healthy day.

-Yvonne in TX
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    1207906t5ef8adzuh.gif
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    1207906t5ef8adzuh.gif
  • pitegny
    pitegny Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the encouragement. It is nice to have people who know what it is like!
    Kate - the coat looks very nice!

-Leigh in France
  • choklityum
    choklityum Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Wow! It's February already - where the heck did January go??? I never really set specific goals for the month, but maybe I should try that for this month. Whatever your goals are, whether you post them or not, I know you can reach them! Let's kick some major hiney!!! B)

January accomplishments:
    Lost 3 lbs (in 3 weeks)
    Eating healthier
    Logged all food and exercise every day
    Minimum of 30 minutes of walking (almost) daily
    Started weekly Zumba class

February Goals:
    Meet first weight goal
    Eat more veggies!
    Log all food/exercise every day
    Bump up walking minutes 2x/week
    Continue weekly Zumba class
  • karenleona
    karenleona Posts: 3,959 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Kate- your coat looks much better on you now. Very classy
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    karenleona wrote: »
    Kate- your coat looks much better on you now. Very classy

Thanks for that

MEREDITH - just pop in when you can you'll find this a supportive group and thanks for coat comment

Kate UK
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Meredith - don't let the size of the group discourage you. We were all new at one time too and have come to feel very close though we are all over the globe. I've only been here about 1 1/2 year and as you keep coming back and reading posts, I'm sure you will begin to "know and love" this group. We're very glad to have you join us.

Janetr OKC
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how long I'll stick with the troop. At least until we can find a new Scoutmaster. And wow - you went on some awesome trips! My son went to Philmont (NM) and we did the Boundary Waters (Ely, MN). He's been to other areas around the Midwest, but nothing overseas.,

My husband went to Philmont as a boy and then twice as an adult leader. I went once as an adult leader (did an 84 mile trek), my daughter went once and my son went twice as a scout and then worked there for three years as a Ranger. Philmont has a lot of special memories for all of us. We lived in the council where it is located so we visited in the off season for treks too. The troop my son was in usually did a summer camp in a different state every other year and then stayed in state on the opposite years. I think his favorite camp was San Isabel in Colorado. He also worked there for two summers as a counselor (which then led to the Philmont staff position when he was in college.) He didn't do any overseas trips but did go to Jamboree back in ... 80? Not sure when, but Clinton was president and refused to go speak to the scouts that year... booo

Marcelyn
    mom to an Eagle Scout
  • jolenec1
    jolenec1 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

Back from the doctor. Must have more tests, but the insurance has to pre-certify of course. So a CT scan and endoscopy are in the works for this month. In the meantime, my goals for February:

1. Watch less television at night.
    2. Get back to the gym 3 times a week.
    3. Drink 4 bottles of water a day.
    4. Be kind to myself.
    5. Lose 5 pounds.

I think that will be enough to keep me busy.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Kate UK: I love the coat and it fits you just as it should. WTG! Congratulations. :flowerforyou:

Pam from Tidewater VA: Welcome to a great group! :smiley:

Meredith from W Africa: We get to know one another a little at a time & everyone was new at one time or another. Don't worry about it at first. You don't have to reply to anyone or everyone. Soak up what you want and reply whenever you have something to say. :wink:

Charleen in CO: I love the Indian Hills community center sign. :bigsmile:

I took DH to his doctor appointment this morning in lieu of yoga. It was important for him to go & I can go to yoga on Friday. He is doing well with BP and blood sugar control but needs to exercise more. He told the doctor how pleased he is that I brought his trike into the house and said he is eager to use it. We're home now and he is napping in a location where he can enjoy the view of his trike from behind his closed eyelids. I have used it already and will continue to use it.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

February 2017 Resolutions:

1: Log every bite and swallow;
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on strength and stamina.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least 3 glasses of water a day.
    5. Monitor sleep. Average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • choklityum
    choklityum Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Marcelyn - I wish I had gone to Philmont. I was worried I wouldn't be able to do it, considering my weight, asthma, etc. Then I go off and hit the Boundary Waters! Ended up with knee surgery after that one. Still worth it!
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    February greetings -

It sounds like many of you are having success with losing this winter! Congrats! I missed Monday weigh in because of dizziness and fatigue. Just couldn't get out of bed to go. The first meeting I have missed for "illness". I am not sure if I would have lost. I was down 2.8 for the month up to 1/23. I am working to up my protein and fats and keep my carbs under 100/day. Noticing how many sugars are in "healthy" food. Really a challenge to keep them lower.

Barbie - thanks for continuing the thread

Allie - You seem to be making a plan together so that is very positive. Keep yourself strong and independent, too. You have my support whatever you do.

Meredith - I taught for 32 years. Third graders were my favorite!

Hubby came home from work early yesterday (5). We were able to go out to dinner together. Nice!

WELCOME new friends. Come often and visit with us.

Toni in Tennessee
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Allie, you know I am going to support you. I firmly believe in the institution of marriage. My girls have asked me many times why I never left their Dad. I am glad I did. Now in our 'golden years' we are happy and we need each other and compliment each others personalities. Just set some rules that he must adhere to. I agree with what Lenora says, you are not his maid. You work a demanding job and don't need to work full times when you get off work. In addition you also care for several elderly people. I hope the mediator helps.

Heather, are you glad your holiday is over??

Kate, UK if I had a coat like that I would do what I could to preserve it. Love it.

Off to PT

Joyce, Indiana
  • MrsGLT
    MrsGLT Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hey y'all. Welcome to the newbies. I finished January better than I started. My February goal list is short.
    * pre-track my meals for each day, make adjustments if needed
    * Be intentional
    * make every effort to reach daily step goal
    Like I said it's a short list but realistic. Well, back to the chores. Have a good afternoon.

Grace in east Texas