Things people do that annoys you in the gym.

Options

Replies

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    it shouldn't bother me, but it does; that is: people talking loudly on their phones while on cardio gear.

it's just the volume of their voices. if I can hear it over the music in my earbuds from 30 feet away, then you're probably screaming to be heard.
  • J_NY_Z
    J_NY_Z Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    it shouldn't bother me, but it does; that is: people talking loudly on their phones while on cardio gear.

it's just the volume of their voices. if I can hear it over the music in my earbuds from 30 feet away, then you're probably screaming to be heard.

I agree with this as well. Go outside and talk. Nobody is interested in your conversations.
  • kristinann308
    kristinann308 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Cursing while lifting, in between lifting, etc...just because. F-Bomb's not necessary.
  • Motorsheen
    Options

I agree with this as well. Go outside and talk. Nobody is interested in your conversations.

conversations don't bother me it's the volume of the conversation that can be distracting.

heck, last Saturday I went to a crosstown gym for my Saturday workout.

there's too many friendly people at my regular gym.

If 10 different people want to chat for 5 minutes each.... well.
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    Cursing while lifting, in between lifting, etc...just because. F-Bomb's not necessary.

truth.

I regard cursing as a lack of eductaion, I damn sure do.
  • cuckoo_jenibeth
    cuckoo_jenibeth Posts: 1,434 Member
    Options
    I teach advanced Aquacise with free weights and resistance bands, so focus is pretty important when the space is limited...There is a lady that attends one of my afternoon classes that is a bit "chatty". This would be fine, except she inevitably talks over the switch-overs and then gets kinda nasty about getting bonked or kicked by others!
    This is getting better because I hold to the theory that, if you can carry on full discussions, I must not be pushing you hard enough...The other class members have gotten to the point of asking her to be quiet so that I don't increase the speed or the reps! Lol!
    I think that there can be a social benefit to the gym, but please reserve it for warm ups/cool downs or the locker room! Don't interrupt dozens of others who are trying to improve their health!
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    I am really not fond of people who leave the machines sweaty and janky. Clean that mess off. Our gym has sanitizer and paper towels everywhere for the purpose ffs. I also hate people sitting on machines playing with their cell phones. USE the machine or get off of it!

YASSS! Camping out on machines with phones. That's just *kitten* rude.
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    Not proud of myself for this one but there is this older gentleman that comes to my gym that has a coughing issue. At random times during his workout he has this deep throat cough which sounds horrible. Now maybe he just can't help it and if that is true he has my sympathy but it just seems like he needs to find a better way.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    cburke8909 wrote: »
    Not proud of myself for this one but there is this older gentleman that comes to my gym that has a coughing issue. At random times during his workout he has this deep throat cough which sounds horrible. Now maybe he just can't help it and if that is true he has my sympathy but it just seems like he needs to find a better way.

I have the same issue, it's the intersection of my reflux and allergies. It sounds much worse than it feels, and I feel horrible about being a disturbance.
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options

conversations don't bother me it's the volume of the conversation that can be distracting.

Recently, two guys seemed to have a reunion in the cardio room, which is actually just a few ellipticals and treadmills in an old racketball court. The echo in that room is crazy loud, and these dudes where just chatting and laughing for like 15 minutes. PLEASE just walk outside to catch up - if I turn my earbuds up any higher to drown you out, I'm going to lose an eardrum -_-.

I also find it very annoying when someone is trying to sprint on the elliptical without any resistance. If the machine is clanking that much (and it normally doesn't at all), you're probably doing it wrong. It's distractingly loud, and you probably need to switch to a treadmill or go run on the track instead, anyway.
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    DamieBird wrote: »

Recently, two guys seemed to have a reunion in the cardio room, which is actually just a few ellipticals and treadmills in an old racketball court. The echo in that room is crazy loud, and these dudes where just chatting and laughing for like 15 minutes. PLEASE just walk outside to catch up - if I turn my earbuds up any higher to drown you out, I'm going to lose an eardrum -_-.

I also find it very annoying when someone is trying to sprint on the elliptical without any resistance. If the machine is clanking that much (and it normally doesn't at all), you're probably doing it wrong. It's distractingly loud, and you probably need to switch to a treadmill or go run on the track instead, anyway.

Ha, yeah there was a lady running on the treadmill and her footfalls could be heard plodding along from the parking lot.

I least she was busting her tail...
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options

Some people think, by using the F word, you are cool.
  • richardpkennedy1
    richardpkennedy1 Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Guys telling me I do too much cardio. Not all of us want to be a 200 lb meathead!
  • DasItMan91
    DasItMan91 Posts: 5,753 Member
    Options

I go to two gyms and each has their different atmosphere. Like one gym, people are more open to talk to you for and the other, everybody else just wants to work and not chat as much unless it's to ask for a spot or another question.