Gaining weight / Muscle.

So I have been trying to bulk. I'm a lil guy 5'3 and currently weight 130 lbs. I'm in good conditions. Now, I have heard about this liquid nutrition diet that consists of maximum protein and 1 meal during a day with low carbs and low fats. Is this possible? Can i gain muscle just by doing this? Or should I just stick to more carbs and more clean calories intake in order to gain muscle. I know is a long message, but I need help and I read so much magazine and I just don't know. How I can gain more weight without gaining so much fat.

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    The biggest factor to what the weight gain will be is the amount of surplus and the workouts using them.

Sounds like you got the weight lifting part down.

You will gain some fat when eating in surplus, no way around that - as the amount of food you eat used strictly for muscle building requirements varies daily and on workouts, and you could never be that precise for when you eat.
    You can merely hope to improve the odds of minimal fat gain.

And then your desired speed of change is big factor.

Eat normal, eat at least 80% nutritious, don't knock yourself out over the other 20%.

And go for perhaps 1 lb gain every 2 wks and see how you like that. That means daily 250 cal surplus.

Since fat usually goes on at waist first - measure there along with your valid weigh-in days to confirm what is going up faster. Perfect would be no waist only weight. Unlikely, but see.
    If a frequent lifting routine, finding a valid weigh-in day may be hard with that much water fluctuation going on.
    Morning after rest day eating normal sodium levels, not sore from last workout.

If you find no waist increase or an acceptable amount with the 1 lb gain every 2 weeks - go for an extra 100 daily then.

Any of that other eating stuff you've been reading - almost meaningless except for personal preference.
    If you can't get enough protein in with regular diet - then a shake could be meaningful.
    If you prefer to eat during a narrow window and have the energy for a great workout anyway - then useful. If not, then not.
  • carltank
    carltank Posts: 4 Member
    Bro.

Don't fall for that. Set your goal weight on the app and try and hit the nutritional targets whilst hitting the gym.

If your thinking of that diet because your not a big eater, try a a little trick of mine.

1 scoop of your protein powder, (I use salted caramel whey protein isolate by myprotein) add 3 eggs and wash it down with spme milk. Tastes like cake batter. This is 50g of protein with only 6gram of fat.

After leg day i also like to add some oats to the shake. Helps me to walk the next day.

Good luck.
  • heybales wrote: »
    The biggest factor to what the weight gain will be is the amount of surplus and the workouts using them.

Sounds like you got the weight lifting part down.

You will gain some fat when eating in surplus, no way around that - as the amount of food you eat used strictly for muscle building requirements varies daily and on workouts, and you could never be that precise for when you eat.
    You can merely hope to improve the odds of minimal fat gain.

And then your desired speed of change is big factor.

Eat normal, eat at least 80% nutritious, don't knock yourself out over the other 20%.

And go for perhaps 1 lb gain every 2 wks and see how you like that. That means daily 250 cal surplus.

Since fat usually goes on at waist first - measure there along with your valid weigh-in days to confirm what is going up faster. Perfect would be no waist only weight. Unlikely, but see.
    If a frequent lifting routine, finding a valid weigh-in day may be hard with that much water fluctuation going on.
    Morning after rest day eating normal sodium levels, not sore from last workout.

If you find no waist increase or an acceptable amount with the 1 lb gain every 2 weeks - go for an extra 100 daily then.

Any of that other eating stuff you've been reading - almost meaningless except for personal preference.
    If you can't get enough protein in with regular diet - then a shake could be meaningful.
    If you prefer to eat during a narrow window and have the energy for a great workout anyway - then useful. If not, then not.

Thank you.
    I will definitely take your advice on this, and I do need to start to keep track on my measurements something that I have not been doing lately. I'm also looking into low carb, medium carbs, High carbs diets, and reset. I have to do some experimenting I'll try this for 2 weeks, and keep track on my measurement as well. Than get ill get back on my bulking until late spring.
  • jbabyjmo
    jbabyjmo Posts: 9 Member
    I think you should just set your goal for the app and everything it asks for especially calories because that's what's going to put on your weight and work out . You'll gain body mass as well as muscle. If you have protein shake use that as well as directed. I got the gnc amplified wheybolic extreme60. Like you say keep your calories clean but try to reach your calorie intake goal everyday and work out. Add me as a friend we are on similar paths.