What to EAT!!! Trying to gain 10 pounds by May/June.

Hey guys, completely new here. I'm 5'7, female and I weigh 120 pounds on the dot. I put on a pound within the last couple weeks which is great, however I felt so much healthier at 130-135.
College has really set me off, it had me skipping meals, workouts and overall I gave up on myself. I'm getting back into my little at-home workout routine, but I'm going to begin doing workouts are the college gym. It's free and usually dead - just how I like it.

If it were a good day I'd get in all three meals. However, I find that I'm not eating the right things. I'm hooked on sugar and coffee.... oh and cigarettes. I've been trying to cut back/quit but I have been struggling immensely, I'm only 21.

Any suggestions for good, high protein/calorie/carb food that I can begin adding to my weight gain plan? Maybe workout suggestions too?

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Any foods that put you in a calorie surplus.

Calculate your TDEE and eat above that.

Be aware that if you eat enough to gain that much weight by that time, it will be mostly fat. Slow and steady gain with resistance training may be better for you.

• jessicaluytrox
    jessicaluytrox Posts: 2 Member
    Im in the same boat as you (5ft 7, around 120lbs, female, age 18 and like you uni has me skipping meals and such.... Want to be friends?). Im trying to gain about 10lbs and I want at least 5lbs of that to be muscle. We could motivate eachother.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Nut butters
    Oils as dressings
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read/p1

You can eat anything that you enjoy. This thread can probably help you too.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    edited February 2017
    Hi. I found I had more success when I dropped the idea I had to get my calories from 3 meals a day. I still aim for 3 meals but have at least 2 smaller meals or snack in between,with foods from the above thread,or high calorie drinks. Eg today so far,I've had hot chocolate,a banana, apple with almond butter and a full fat yoghurt,in addition to breakfast and lunch (I'm in the UK so it's afternoon here) Doesn't work for everyone but it worked for me. Also add oil (I use olive but any oil will do ) to cooking ,drizzle it on pizza etc. It adds calories without filling you up.
    I sympathise about smoking and know from experience how hard it is to stop but even cutting down will improve your appetite.
  • jamocha101
    jamocha101 Posts: 20 Member
    I'm also a college student, struggling with maintaining healthy eating habits. The freshman fifteen ended up coming off me instead of coming on.

First of all, just like any weight gain/loss regime, it's a matter of CICO at the base. Calculate your TDEE--there are plenty of free calculators online--and then pre-plan your meals to ensure that you're eating above that amount. If you exercise to put on muscle, make sure you eat back the calories. I recommend buying some foods and snacks and keeping them in your room, and seeing if your college offers nutrition facts for its dining hall items so that you can track your calories.

It sounds like a lot, but if you get in the habit of monitoring your intake, it becomes second nature.