Tips for a skinny guy starting out in gaining muscle

Hello.

8 stone 5ft6 guy here, I am already somewhat toned, but rather slim and wanting to build up muscle and strength.

I have recently started to go to Bodypump classes to try and build my muscle and endurance.
Now I have a couple of weeks done, I am wanting to take the next steps in getting fitter and bulking up.

I have got the MyfitnessPal app to help me keep track of the food I am eating and can already see I need to eat more, but I kinda expected this.

I am just wondering what people would suggest I do next? I have 10kg barbells at home I use from time to time, but no bench, so I am somewhat limited. Thinking I probably should join the gym?

Just wondering if its possible for me to just increase my protein intake diet wise, buy a bench and work out at home? While still doing Bodypump classes once a week. Should I maybe do a second class a week?

Can anyone suggest what type of protein I should buy? And how I use it? Post exercise only?

Sorry for the masses of questions! I am somewhat clueless, but rather determined to get going :smiley:

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    omgzhobbs wrote: »
    Hello.

8 stone 5ft6 guy here, I am already somewhat toned, but rather slim and wanting to build up muscle and strength.

I have recently started to go to Bodypump classes to try and build my muscle and endurance.
    Now I have a couple of weeks done, I am wanting to take the next steps in getting fitter and bulking up.

I have got the MyfitnessPal app to help me keep track of the food I am eating and can already see I need to eat more, but I kinda expected this.

I am just wondering what people would suggest I do next? I have 10kg barbells at home I use from time to time, but no bench, so I am somewhat limited. Thinking I probably should join the gym?

Just wondering if its possible for me to just increase my protein intake diet wise, buy a bench and work out at home? While still doing Bodypump classes once a week. Should I maybe do a second class a week?

Can anyone suggest what type of protein I should buy? And how I use it? Post exercise only?

Sorry for the masses of questions! I am somewhat clueless, but rather determined to get going :smiley:

I am not sure that bodybump would be the ideal program for bulking. It's very high volume with lighter weight. While, I enjoy it as a class for endurance, I think you would make much more gains following a structure routine that will put you closer to 80% of your 1RM. Below is a good list. While I am cutting, I am following Bigger, Leaner, Stronger and love it. But you will be required to have a gym access.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Protein. You don't need a supplement. And at being 112lbs, you don't need much, so it will probably be very easy to get it from food. You can probably aim for 100 to 120g per day. Typical sources are beef, chicken, fish, greek yogurt, lentils/beans, etc...

If you do want a supplement, I would look at www.labdoor.com for quality brands.

The key to all of this is getting calories high enough to be in a surplus. In respect to timing, you don't have to worry about timing nutrients. It's largely more important to get adequate calories. If you want to, you can spread out protein throughout the day, and time some carbs/protein around your workouts; it's not necessary, but may provide some advantage but that still has to be determined by science. Below is the priority you should be following.

The-Pyramid-Of-Nutritional-importance.png
  • charlieaulert
    charlieaulert Posts: 127 Member
    At 8 stone, you can afford to eat plenty (If you can), you won’t look fat at that weight. To build muscle you need to eat more calories than you burn.

Join the gym, track calories and be consistent (3-5 times per week). At 8 stone you will notice any muscle built very quickly.

You could try creatine for supplementation, it’s a scientifically proven supplement. As someone has already said, I doubt you’d need a Whey protein or any type of protein shake, as this can come from your food pretty easily at your weight.
  • vinceno21
    vinceno21 Posts: 32 Member
    All I have to say is you're asking all of the right questions. Never cheat the myfitpal app and get those calories in by meeting protein, carb, fat goals, etc. Your food intake is what its all about and I feel many people don't take that part seriously until they plateau (speaking from personal experience). Also, from personal experience do not buy any equipment for your home gym. I had a squat rack, dumbbells, and benches and got so bored working out in the garage by myself daily. Some people can do it but I lost motivation not being around fit people with similiar interests. I agree with these guys above me that you shouldn't worry about any whey protein because nothing will beat a solid meal. If you really want to pack in those cals and protein then maybe consider chugging down a shake after a meal. Creatine is also a good supplement you might want to consider once you get a bit more experience but thats up to you.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    When bulking, calories are king. Eat in a surplus.

Protien isn't as important as most new and even some more experienced lifters think and protien shakes have their place but are usually unnecessary. Try eating food, and if ypu have problems getting enough calories than use a suppliment for your calories.

Bodypump class, especially once per week isn't going to give your muscles enough stimulus for growth. Best thing to do is start a lifting program in the link from first reply for a beginner and start there. If you do it at a gym, friend's house, or buy some weights it doesn't matter as much getting started.

• Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Eat a small calorie surplus, it is hard to put on muscle. New lifters, lifting heavy will gain no more than 1-2 lbs of muscle per month. That means if you eat too much, more gains will be fat. You can afford this, but you probably don't want bulk as much as you want to be ripped, so don't think that eating a ton of food will do it. Lift heavy, do compound freeweight exercises.

If you want, you can do this at home with a dumbbell and barbell. Deadlift, push-ups, box jump (use a chair), floor wipers, dumbbell clean and press, pull-ups (using a door itself, or a door bar). Take some time to research good form and experiment with light weights first. You won't have a spotter so don't do anything silly.
  • WxMstr
    WxMstr Posts: 25 Member
    To get strong, try starting strength 5x5 and eat 4000 calories days you lift and 3000 calories on rest days.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    WxMstr wrote: »
    To get strong, try starting strength 5x5 and eat 4000 calories days you lift and 3000 calories on rest days.

At his size, eating 3000-4000 calories a day would be a great way to pack on a lot of fat and end up looking like a toad. That's probably around 1000 calories/day over his TDEE, even with workouts factored in, which means he'd be gaining about 2 lbs. a week, and nobody packs on 2 pounds of muscle per week. Far better for him to calculate his TDEE and run a surplus of about 250 calories/day.
  • charlieaulert
    charlieaulert Posts: 127 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    WxMstr wrote: »

At his size, eating 3000-4000 calories a day would be a great way to pack on a lot of fat and end up looking like a toad. That's probably around 1000 calories/day over his TDEE, even with workouts factored in, which means he'd be gaining about 2 lbs. a week, and nobody packs on 2 pounds of muscle per week. Far better for him to calculate his TDEE and run a surplus of about 250 calories/day.

3000-4000kcals is a way over the top, although better to eat 3000 than not enough!

When skinny, a large calorie surplus isn’t the end of the world, as fat gains aren’t as noticeable!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member

3000-4000kcals is a way over the top, although better to eat 3000 than not enough!

When skinny, a large calorie surplus isn’t the end of the world, as fat gains aren’t as noticeable!

Perhaps you overlooked his ending to his reply.

AnvilHead wrote: »

OP this is very solid advice. Find your TDEE and add a small surplus. A larger surplus than necessary isn't ideal, it adds more fat which you will have to turn around a lose after your bulk. More is not better in this case.