Squat tips needed

I have been doing the sumo squat as my squat of choice and I have stalled. I decreased the weight and then tried to slowly add weight back in but I can never get beyond 55 lbs. I am 102 ish now, hip thrust 105, dead lift 95. Heck I can even bench press 55 which is nuts for me but I can't squat any heavier. I have to sumo squat cuz back, front, and lunges kill my knees (prolly from ballet dancing). Any tips to help me move forward? I do squat all the way down to the ground.

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Stop sumo squatting and just squat like normal?

What program are you doing?
  • jerb00
    jerb00 Posts: 155 Member
    I can't squat normal. It hurts my knees.

I am doing strong lifts 5x5 but doing the sumo squat as my squat.
  • jerb00
    Does the fact that I do a sumo squat necessarily mean that i can't squat as much compared to other squats or is it just me?
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Post a video...
  • macmathuna
    macmathuna Posts: 11 Member
    Video would help. ..
    Without one, just guessing could be knees collapsing in / noit using glutes?
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    jerb00 wrote: »
    Does the fact that I do a sumo squat necessarily mean that i can't squat as much compared to other squats or is it just me?

Need video.
  • scottrey
    scottrey Posts: 18 Member
    A video would be helpful for a more accurate assessment, but here are some general tips for squatting:
    • Make sure you are keeping your heels planted to the floor throughout the squat motion. People have a tendency to shift their weight to the balls of the feet, which puts more pressure on the front of your thighs.
    • Try to keep your trunk flexed while going down and coming up, particularly your lower abs. It will help your form and allow you to better activate your glutes.
    • consider switching to normal squats and only going down as far as you can maintain proper form. You will build flexibility and strength over time that will allow you to squat low without pain.
  • vinceno21
    vinceno21 Posts: 32 Member
    Post a vid so we can help critique. I definitely recommend watching Silent Mikes instructional vids or Omar Isuf. A big misconception is when people think going below 90 degrees is proper. Many people squat super low and suffer from "butt wink" which means they roll their lower back out a bit and feel pressure in all of the wrong areas.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    vinceno21 wrote: »
    Post a vid so we can help critique. I definitely recommend watching Silent Mikes instructional vids or Omar Isuf. A big misconception is when people think going below 90 degrees is proper. Many people squat super low and suffer from "butt wink" which means they roll their lower back out a bit and feel pressure in all of the wrong areas.
    I squat well below 90/parallel with no butt wink. What works well will be different for everyone.
    It's also required to break parallel in many Powerlifting federations for a legal squat.
  • vinceno21
    edited February 2017
    I squat well below 90/parallel with no butt wink. What works well will be different for everyone.
    It's also required to break parallel in many Powerlifting federations for a legal squat.

I never said not to go low I just said its a misconception to go as low as possible because most people butt wink and have horrible form. She suffers from pain when she squats so I am giving advice as to how she can fix things. Also, good for you I also go a bit below 90 as well and dont butt wink at all because I made proper adjustments. She also never once mentioned competing in a powerlifting event and is mostly concerned about pain and lifting safely. If you want me to be critical then I would tell you that in your profile pic your lats dont look activated and your head should be down more and not looking up towards the ceiling.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member

I never said not to go low I just said its a misconception to go as low as possible because most people butt wink and have horrible form. She suffers from pain when she squats so I am giving advice as to how she can fix things. Also, good for you I also go a bit below 90 as well and dont butt wink at all because I made proper adjustments. She also never once mentioned competing in a powerlifting event and is mostly concerned about pain and lifting safely. If you want me to be critical then I would tell you that in your profile pic your lats dont look activated and your head should be down more and not looking up towards the ceiling.

"A big misconception is when people think going below 90 degrees is proper."
    Not trying to argue or get "critical", the way you phrased that sounded like you were discouraging squatting to parallel and I just wanted to clarify for OP that there's nothing wrong with breaking parallel and many lifters consider it to be proper technique.
    Thank you so much for taking the time to critique my lifting technique based on a photo though.
    If that was meant to discredit my knowledge, boy you got me. I clearly know nothing...
  • vinceno21
    edited February 2017

"A big misconception is when people think going below 90 degrees is proper."
    Not trying to argue or get "critical", the way you phrased that sounded like you were discouraging squatting to parallel and I just wanted to clarify for OP that there's nothing wrong with breaking parallel and many lifters consider it to be proper technique.
    Thank you so much for taking the time to critique my lifting technique based on a photo though.
    If that was meant to discredit my knowledge, boy you got me. I clearly know nothing...

Definitely would never discourage squatting to low depths I just know how common it is for people to roll their lower back and let their knees collapse. Take what I said out of context because there is no need for me to correct what I said. The point is "a s s to grass" is a joke when you don't have the basics down. I know you're aware of proper form its just a bit annoying when you try and critique what I say when i'm offering advice.
  • jerb00
    Thank you all so much for your tips and comments. As much as I don't want to, I think I'll try to post a video for critique. Try this weekend...
  • jerb00
    edited February 2017
    Sounds like you have mobility issues. Could be the hips, or ankles. I would do stretching on every session. As for what are you specifically doing wrong? Make sure to add a video link so we can have any idea.
    As for tips on the squat technique, you could watch this:

Maybe I do. I mean, I am pretty flexible from dance and yoga but maybe it isn't the way inbred to be for proper squat form. I watched the video and I feel like my body moves similarly, but I'll post a video so I can get an objective opinion.
  • JB035
    JB035 Posts: 336 Member
    edited February 2017
    When you start the decend on your squat what bends first? Hips or knees?
  • jerb00
    Hips
  • JB035
    JB035 Posts: 336 Member
    jerb00 what did you figure out?
  • jerb00
    Well, I figured out that using the dumbells as a kettle bell squat was really taking a toll on mex. as was the strong lifts program in general. I switched to a wider stance back squat and a full body wendler program and I am doing much better. Thanks for asking. Now...what to do when I can no longer lift the barbell over my head for the back squat...I work out at home and unless the hubs is working out with me, in a few months I am afraid I'll not be able to lift the bar over my head...