Feeling the results

Wasn't sure where to post this but thought I'd post here as this is the forum I've found most helpful.
This will probably sound pathetic to all the old timers. I'm 61 with chronic health problems including osteoporosis and degenerative disc disease. I came here last September wanting to gain weight and strength. I've never done any kind of training before.
So far I've not progressed beyond bodyweight programmes (nerd fitness) and wasn't sure if I was making any progress. I can see more definition in my shape but that's about it. But! Yesterday I was clearing out our attic and found myself able to lift heavy boxes ,from a squatting position,without even breaking into a sweat - and zero back pain afterwards! So....it's working!
Just want to thank everyone on here for all the advice and information,I couldn't have done it without you. I'm going to start stronglifts next week!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    wooooooooooooooo! :flowerforyou:

you should post this on the success storys board!!!!
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Thank you,I thought about it but don't go on there much and anyway it seems so pathetic compared to a lot of people. It's a biggie for me though!
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Thank you,I thought about it but don't go on there much and anyway it seems so pathetic compared to a lot of people. It's a biggie for me though!

There is NOTHING pathetic about it. Matter of fact, it's pretty darn awesome :)<3
  • hamshor
    hamshor Posts: 64 Member
    wow congrats :smile:
  • comptonelizabeth
    Cylphin60 wrote: »

There is NOTHING pathetic about it. Matter of fact, it's pretty darn awesome :)<3

Thank you :smile:
  • comptonelizabeth
    hamshor wrote: »
    wow congrats :smile:

Thanks!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

Comparison is the thief of joy...
  • comptonelizabeth
    Very true!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Absolutely nothing pathetic about it. Keep it up. You're alteady in better shape than a lot of the 20-somethings that I work with.
  • comptonelizabeth
    Absolutely nothing pathetic about it. Keep it up. You're alteady in better shape than a lot of the 20-somethings that I work with.

Thank you !
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Wasn't sure where to post this but thought I'd post here as this is the forum I've found most helpful.
    This will probably sound pathetic to all the old timers. I'm 61 with chronic health problems including osteoporosis and degenerative disc disease. I came here last September wanting to gain weight and strength. I've never done any kind of training before.
    So far I've not progressed beyond bodyweight programmes (nerd fitness) and wasn't sure if I was making any progress. I can see more definition in my shape but that's about it. But! Yesterday I was clearing out our attic and found myself able to lift heavy boxes ,from a squatting position,without even breaking into a sweat - and zero back pain afterwards! So....it's working!
    Just want to thank everyone on here for all the advice and information,I couldn't have done it without you. I'm going to start stronglifts next week!

That is awesome! It is NOT pathetic at all! My first goal was to be able to pick my dog up without struggling.
  • comptonelizabeth
    bioklutz wrote: »

That is awesome! It is NOT pathetic at all! My first goal was to be able to pick my dog up without struggling.

Ha ha ! Yes I can do that now too - she's only a Jack Russell but boy does she struggle!
  • S3r3knitty
    S3r3knitty Posts: 159 Member
    Be proud about yourself! You are ahead of many others in your age group. Being able to clear out your attic without any pains afterwards is great. Hell, that probably puts you ahead of many younger than you.

I think we often don't notice the many positive advantages of our fitness routines because often there is no Wow! effect but it's the things we don't really notice like being able to do any physical activity without being utterly exhausted or in pain afterwards
  • jacknyland258
    jacknyland258 Posts: 18 Member

Great to hear people achieving goals and objects they've wanted to for a while! Feels great when you feel and see a difference!

Good job pal!
  • comptonelizabeth
    Thanks both :smile:
    It's true that it's been during daily tasks that I've noticed a big difference. And far fewer aches and pains.