Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Best Beverages for Teens

2»

Replies

• Tretop76
    Tretop76 Posts: 256 Member
    Milk, chocolate milk, vitamin water zero, water water water lol
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Water, tea, milk (in my one who can drink it).

On special occasions they'll have pop (I encourage diet or Zevia, and preferably no caffeine), hot chocolate or wine.

ETA I make them protein, fruit and veggie shakes a few days per week too.

You allow your teenagers wine? I definitely wasn't expecting alcohol as an answer.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Beer! sorry but I had to say that.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Most alcohol consumption starts in the teen years. Just saying.

In the US legal drinking age is 21.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Packerjohn wrote: »

In many US states, it's legal for parents to give their kids alcohol in their own homes. I know my parents allowed me to have some on holidays.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »

In many US states, it's legal for parents to give their kids alcohol in their own homes. I know my parents allowed me to have some on holidays.

Yep. According to this:. I don't know how accurate it is, but if the nv in that poster's SN means Nevada, then it would be legal.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Mine mostly drink water and milk, and sometimes coffee. Soda is every once in awhile.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    TR0berts wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »

Yep. According to this:. I don't know how accurate it is, but if the nv in that poster's SN means Nevada, then it would be legal.

Bingo! I grew up in a town of German immigrants and drinking beer/wine was a common occurrence. Rarely if ever did anyone drink to excess and since it was normalized, it was rarely abused.

I live in Wisconsin where it is legal as long as it is supervised by the parent/guardian. Every now and then we have a do-gooder "OMG think of the children!" attempting to pass prohibition again, but it gets quickly struck down.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    My kids aren't teenagers, but they drink milk in the morning sometimes OJ if I can get it super cheap. Water the rest of the day. At school they get a juice/koolaid box for their lunch. Occasionally, they get sprite when we go out, but it isn't often.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    I have two teen boys and for the most part, they drink water, flavored water (either with water enhancer or a little juice) and as a treat, chocolate milk. As a rule, they don't care for milk any more but adding chocolate is another story. One boy will drink soda all the time if we let him but we don't buy it at all and the other one hates soda of any kind so no worries there!

I will occasionally make a pitcher of fresh lemonade but I will use monk fruit with just a little sugar instead of full-blown sugar.
  • JennyThompson180
    JennyThompson180 Posts: 17 Member
    My two boys drink milk like they are calves. They easily drink a gallon a day, and they would drink more if I didn't put my foot down. I slowed down one by offering to make him protein shakes with it instead. My other son didn't care for the protein powders I have tried so far.
    Both wigged out when I offered to add raw eggs like I put in mine.
  • JennyThompson180
    JennyThompson180 Posts: 17 Member
    It's a classic combo, and you can't tell once it's blended. But yeah, I hear you.

One weird thing we do when we try something new, is I serve it in stemware at the evening meal. My youngest requested we try passion fruit juice, since it was in his Spanish vocabulary. So we served it soon after at the dinner table; water in the tumbler and the juice in a martini glass for those who wanted to sample it. It makes it a bit more special and encourages conversation about the new flavor.