Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Best time to drink red wine?

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Yes. See profile pic.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,482 Member
    When is it not a good time?
    Before going to sleep.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Anytime is fine for red wine.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Not ideal to drink alcohol of any type before bed. You burn the most body fat for fuel at rest and sleep is usually your longest rest time. But if you have alcohol in your system, it has to be metabolized completely before any other fuel source can be used. So having alcohol in your system would deter any fat from being burned until it's metabolized.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

So if I drank nothing but red wine,theoretically I'd lose weight?
    :smile:

Well, cirrhosis is known to cause weight loss...
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    In terms of weight loss, I think the best time to drink red wine would be just before bed. That way you will have no opportunity to replenish any fluids before your morning weigh in (assuming you empty your bladder before stepping on the scales), and the scales will reward your dehydrating ways.
    Water weight isn't real weight. And as I mentioned above, alcohol in the system inhibits fat burning. So is the concern about losing water weight or fat weight?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I was JOKING. The sad thing is that before MFP, when weight loss was less mathematical and more mysterious for me, I really did think certain dehydrating actions caused the scales to move and were therefore helpful in the process. I remember having success on the scales the next morning when I exercised just before I went to bed for instance.

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    In terms of weight loss, I think the best time to drink red wine would be just before bed. That way you will have no opportunity to replenish any fluids before your morning weigh in (assuming you empty your bladder before stepping on the scales), and the scales will reward your dehydrating ways.
    Water weight isn't real weight. And as I mentioned above, alcohol in the system inhibits fat burning. So is the concern about losing water weight or fat weight?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I was JOKING. The sad thing is that before MFP, when weight loss was less mathematical and more mysterious for me, I really did think certain dehydrating actions caused the scales to move and were therefore helpful in the process. I remember having success on the scales the next morning when I exercised just before I went to bed for instance.

I used to know a girl who swore drinking made her lose weight because she'd get blackout drunk and weigh less in the morning.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Before going to sleep.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I'm telling folks I'm drinking wine in the morning because you said so:)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,482 Member
    Before going to sleep.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I'm telling folks I'm drinking wine in the morning because you said so:)
    They do it in Europe.......

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Not ideal to drink alcohol of any type before bed. You burn the most body fat for fuel at rest and sleep is usually your longest rest time. But if you have alcohol in your system, it has to be metabolized completely before any other fuel source can be used. So having alcohol in your system would deter any fat from being burned until it's metabolized.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

So if I drank nothing but red wine,theoretically I'd lose weight?
    :smile:

Well, cirrhosis is known to cause weight loss...

True :(
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Cite source please? Interested to understand the mechanism and statistics behind this.
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Wine O'Clock, of course.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Cite source please? Interested to understand the mechanism and statistics behind this.

As I understand it, your body has to process alcohol first,before it can metabolise anything else you've eaten.
    I'm not aware it makes any difference what time of day or night it is, however.
  • mumblemagic

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

As I understand it, your body has to process alcohol first,before it can metabolise anything else you've eaten.
    I'm not aware it makes any difference what time of day or night it is, however.

Source though?
  • tklivory
    tklivory Posts: 46 Member
    Here's one source from NCBI. I found it by following back from this article I found in Google, though I don't know the reputation of the person who wrote it. He does at least reference the NCBI study at the bottom if you scroll down.
  • mumblemagic
    tklivory wrote: »
    Here's one source from NCBI. I found it by following back from this article I found in Google, though I don't know the reputation of the person who wrote it. He does at least reference the NCBI study at the bottom if you scroll down.

Thanks. What I got from this is that the body requires energy to transfer glucose to energy, via acetate. Alcohol is easier to convert to acetate, so it takes less energy to transform to energy, meaning you get more "miles per calorie". The presence of alcohol in the blood stream also decreases the fat digestion process. There's also the usual empty/stealthy calories argument.

I don't see anything on there about night time - does someone have a source on that?

This is a study done on 8 men. Does anyone have a more substantial study, and/or one that quantifies the effect of this on weightloss on an already calorie controlled diet? i.e. is the replicable, and is the effect only marginal or is it actually something to consider?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    tklivory wrote: »

Thanks. What I got from this is that the body requires energy to transfer glucose to energy, via acetate. Alcohol is easier to convert to acetate, so it takes less energy to transform to energy, meaning you get more "miles per calorie". The presence of alcohol in the blood stream also decreases the fat digestion process. There's also the usual empty/stealthy calories argument.

I don't see anything on there about night time - does someone have a source on that?

This is a study done on 8 men. Does anyone have a more substantial study, and/or one that quantifies the effect of this on weightloss on an already calorie controlled diet? i.e. is the replicable, and is the effect only marginal or is it actually something to consider?

If I understand correctly: It's not night time specifically, it's that most people sleep at night and sleeping is when we typically burn a lot of fat. If someone sleeps during the day and drinks alcohol prior to that, they're going to experience the same thing (I haven't read the studies myself, this is my understanding of what people who are making this argument are saying).
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited February 2017
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    Well.. wine is extra calories with little to no satiety effect so the best for weight loss would be to switch it for a zero calorie beverage such as water. That would give you a greater deficit and therefore more weight loss.

There is nothing magic about red wine that helps weight loss, if that was your question.

Satiety is very individual -- I personally find a glass of red wine very satisfying.

Anything that you skip and don't replace is going to create a larger deficit. Wine is no different from salad dressing or a bowl of soup or cream in coffee in that regard (of course, individuals may find those things more or less satisfying and that's a factor too).

If one's goal is to create a larger deficit, absolutely skip the wine. But if you have a set number of calories within a day, I find that spending 120 calories on 5 ounces of wine can be very satisfying and I know some other people feel the same way.

Good points. I guess for me I'd rather eat 240+ calories of food instead. Because the OP has said up to 2 glasses a day and a glass is rarely only 4 or 5 oz ;) But honestly, it's probably only an issue for weight loss if one's calorie goal is very low (like 1200 low) and the person is foregoing food for alcohol on a daily basis.
  • marrrisa
    marrrisa Posts: 44 Member
    Before going to sleep.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Question - so if you were to drink wine on an empty stomach/a few hours after dinner or something where wine is the only thing your body has to metabolize (its not being prioritized over anything else) would that make it less of an inhibitor in your opinion?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    I took OP's question not to mean that she thought red wine was going to specifically help with weight loss, but that she was going to drink it anyway and was wondering if there was a particular timing issue that would be preferential... ie the myth that meal timing impacts weight loss.

If I'm correct, then no OP, there is no benefit to consuming wine, or any other calories, at any certain time of the day. I would avoid drinking those two glasses of red wine right before operating heavy machinery though if I were you. :wink:

And for what it's worth, I drank 1-2 glasses most days while losing weight and continue now while maintaining. Didn't impact my ability to meet my goals. Does impact my ability to keep my sanity though, so I'll keep including it!