starting lifting

I'm currently 172lbs, 5'4. No idea what my body fat percentage is-my plan is to lose 24lbs before I begin lifting but...Could I just start now? Before-I .mainly did cardio, added dumbbells for resistance and increase stregnth. I got to 20lbs with some of the moves-plus same weight used to lift on days with less cardio as I start with what I have on hand and getting ready to progress. Currently deficiting calories and walking 30min a day to lose weight and FCK a bunch of calorie counting. I've been avoiding joining a gym for the better weights bc I want to lose weight first-or should I start now? My BMI says I should be 135-140 but i was a stick at thst weight is why I'm going for 150. I feel like if I really jump in lift heavier this bit of weight won't even be an issue and I can eat!

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    You should start now. Think of it like this...when you lose weight, you lose fat AND muscle. When you lose weight while you lift, you lose fat and retain more lean mass. End result? Better body.

I'm a 5'4" woman as well. Trust me, you won't be a stick at 135-140. I'm 143 in my pic. But setting a smaller goal is fine, of course. Though the 140s are the high end of a "healthy" weight for our height.

• locoloon
    locoloon Posts: 29 Member
    diet is 80%, exercise 20% of losing weight. as long as you don't use the exercising as an excuse to ditch the calorie counting completely then you should start now.
  • boppety
    boppety Posts: 19 Member
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    You should start now. Think of it like this...when you lose weight, you lose fat AND muscle. When you lose weight while you lift, you lose fat and retain more lean mass. End result? Better body.

I'm a 5'4" woman as well. Trust me, you won't be a stick at 135-140. I'm 143 in my pic. But setting a smaller goal is fine, of course. Though the 140s are the high end of a "healthy" weight for our height.

Yea..my stomach was tighter and lifted, could feel muscle mass etc with the bit of muscle I was gaining. And that was just with that bit of weight i was using. Back when I was the right weight-once i stopped working out, lost muscle and that's when I started to be stickly. I look forward to being sculpted!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    I would recommend that you also get on a structure program. A lot of your focus was on isometric moves, which is not going to be as beneficial as compound lifts. If you want to start with dumbbells, I would look at the M&S workout or Aworkout routine plans. I would also try to get around 100-120g of protein to support muscle retention.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1