NSAIDS slow muscle recovery?

I have heard that ibuprofen, tylenol, and other NSAIDS (anti-inflammatory) meds can actually slow muscle recovery time if taken for sore muscles after a hard workout. Anyone know if this is true?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    edited February 2017
    I have heard that ibuprofen, tylenol, and other NSAIDS (anti-inflammatory) meds can actually slow muscle recovery time if taken for sore muscles after a hard workout. Anyone know if this is true?

NSAIDs can slow the healing of broken bones, damaged ligaments, and other tissues due to the fact that blocking the inflammation that comes with injury is blocking part of the healing process...but sometimes you do what you have to do.

I've personally never found them to be particularly helpful where DOMs are concerned.
  • suzwriter
    suzwriter Posts: 8 Member
    Tylenol is paracetamol (acetaminophen) so is a painkiller but not an anti-inflammatory drug.

According to this review article, long term NSAIDs may have an impact on bone healing after a fracture, but short term they make little difference to the rate of healing of injuries.

http://www.rheumatologynetwork.com/articles/do-nsaids-impair-healing-musculoskeletal-injuries
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    very slight impact on muscle protein synthesis.
    i wouldnt worry about it
    i also wouldnt take it for doms
  • Thanks everyone!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Long video but Stan talks about them here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4WPI_yiwq4 (and some other important related topics)
  • VKetoV
    VKetoV Posts: 111 Member
    Yes, NSAIDs are counter productive for building muscle. Prostaglandin accumulation & chemotaxis to the site of the muscle (micro) tear is part of the rebuilding/hypertrophy process...as well as causing pain & soreness. Slows the process overall; worse if combined with corticosteroids (block even the initial steps in the arachidonic acid pathyway as opposed to just Cyclooxygenase 1 & 2).