Vegan protein!

Hi! I've just started tracking my macros etc, and just realised i'm normally low on protein. I was wondering if anyone has any vegan sources of protein/ recipes high in protein, that DOESNT contain many carbs?? all the food i've been researching seems to come packed with carbs too!! thank you

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited February 2017
    tofu and other soy products, seitan...

How long have you been vegan...vegans typically have relatively high carb diets...so yeah, beans, lentils, grains like oats and quinoa, etc.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited February 2017
    There are also legit pea/rice protein isolate blends that are AA complete if you keep having issues with whole vegan foods. Soy works too, though some have issues with it.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Just a question, why are you trying to stay away from carbs? Eating protein from healthy, nutrient-dense sources seems to be a good way to go, especially if you focus on beans and whole grains to get your proteins.
    In my opinion, when people want to stay away from carbs, they tend to mean the carbs that are not nutrient-dense, such as white bread rather than whole grain bread.
  • canadian_vegan
    canadian_vegan Posts: 46 Member
    i just supplement with a vega protein shake if i notice i'm not close to my goals
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Carbs are not bad, if you're gonna be vegan you're going to have higher carbs unless you live off protein shakes. Tell us what you eat now on a typical day so we can help.
  • BrkNelson
    BrkNelson Posts: 8 Member
    I'm currently trying to lose 60 pounds and today is my first day of trying a vegetarian diet. I'm seeing everyone is saying the normal diet of a vegetarian is high carb... will it be possible for me to lose weight and try be vegetarian? I'm going to stay within a certain amount of carbs and it will be from sweet potato etc.. but I'll still be able to achieve my weight loss goal while maintaining a vegetarian diet, right? Granted this is my first day but I'm liking it so far.. I don't want to start this and have to stop. Thanks !
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    BrkNelson wrote: »
    I'm currently trying to lose 60 pounds and today is my first day of trying a vegetarian diet. I'm seeing everyone is saying the normal diet of a vegetarian is high carb... will it be possible for me to lose weight and try be vegetarian? I'm going to stay within a certain amount of carbs and it will be from sweet potato etc.. but I'll still be able to achieve my weight loss goal while maintaining a vegetarian diet, right? Granted this is my first day but I'm liking it so far.. I don't want to start this and have to stop. Thanks !

Vegetarians and vegans lose weight all the time. All you need is the same thing a non-vegetarian needs -- a calorie deficit. You can have a calorie deficit on a diet that is higher in carbohydrates or lower in carbohydrates. It's up to you.

I lost over 40 pounds while getting about 60% of my calories from carbohydrates and I'm maintaining it pretty much the same way.
  • thetinkerbell71
    thetinkerbell71 Posts: 4 Member
    I really like Vega! The sport performance protein is fabulous for recovery if you work out and it has really good macros. Plant Strong Fitness on Facebook is a great group to ask this stuff, too.
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,861 Member
    edited February 2017
    BrkNelson wrote: »

Vegetarians and vegans lose weight all the time. All you need is the same thing a non-vegetarian needs -- a calorie deficit. You can have a calorie deficit on a diet that is higher in carbohydrates or lower in carbohydrates. It's up to you.

I lost over 40 pounds while getting about 60% of my calories from carbohydrates and I'm maintaining it pretty much the same way.

Yeah, this (Y). When will the vilification of carbs end? It's thermodynamics guys...calories in < calories out. That's it, no magic macro molecule or nutrient. It doesn't need to be complicated.

That being said, answer to your question. Tofu, TVP, nuts...come to mind.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    edited February 2017
    Dry roasted edamame.

1/4 cup has 130 calories, 14g protein, 10g carbs, 8g fiber.