Slimming world

Options
Hi is there anybody following slimming world on here? Just wondering if you count calories or just syns? Thanks

Replies

• Jypo
    Jypo Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    The idea behind slimming world is that you don't have to count calories with the syn system in place.

That being said, there is nothing bad about counting calories if you want to do it and it's in my personal opinion a more optimal way to successfully lose weight.

Hope this helps.
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    it was too much for me do calorie count and slimming world because they contradict each other - slimming world is a plan in which you dont have to weigh anything apart from your healthy extras where mfp requires you to weigh everything - i got too tired of it, so i left and stayed here, best thing ever
  • lauraktobe
    lauraktobe Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have been doin SW and had struggled a few weeks with low losses etc and one day out of curiosity (and frustration) I put everything I ate in MFP -- I know I know, it shouldn't matter on SW what the calories are... anyway I totalled everythin - all free foods, my healthy extras all my syns and I was up at 1900 calories!!! lol no wonder I wasn't losing much every week

so now even thou im still "doing SW" and going to class to get weighed... I do tend to keep an eye on my calorie count :)
  • gregorytwin
    gregorytwin Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi

I do log everything and tend to stick around 1400. I have no willpower so it is easier for me to see what I eat and it helps me make better choices when I see how many calories food has
  • getupforchange
    getupforchange Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have two friends doing SW and both of them have lost on it, only to rapidly gain back again. I'm sure it's different for everyone but I'm guessing for most people calories in vs calories out will remain important for the rest of their lives and if that's not something you learn to pay attention to while doing SW it might not be very sustainable.
  • crystal479
    crystal479 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    arlzixxx wrote: »
    Hi is there anybody following slimming world on here? Just wondering if you count calories or just syns? Thanks

i lost weight with slimming world but got fed up with the food
  • gregfrompenn
    gregfrompenn Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I tried slimming world and it did not work for me because I would eat too much of what was allowed. Plus much of it didn't make sense. It is supposed to be low energy dense foods yet soups are not free. Pasta is free but oatmeal is not. What's up with that?
  • ericanom
    ericanom Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi :)
    I joined SW last month and have lost a stone so far, I've got another two to go. I still log my food on here but I go by syns and don't limit my calories, though I find that I stay within my limit most days anyway.
  • tcarts1
    tcarts1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi I started sw at the beginning of the year wanting to lose just under 2 stone.. I've been a few times but never could really make it work for me.. withinin 5 weeks I'd lost 4 pounds and I'd stuck to it 100% I know it's still a four pound loss but wasn't happy so decided to start putting my food in mfp staying around 1200 calories a day and within a week I lost four pounds in a week plus another two last week so I'm sticking with mfp now works for me and very happy!
  • MaybeLed
    MaybeLed Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what you find sustainable. Both use calorie restriction just in different ways

For example I went on holiday with some friends, we were cooking together I was calorie counting, one girl was on SW. She was very restrictive.

At the end of the day we were sitting round the fire and I was eating toasted marshmallows, I know they fit my day because of MFP, she had run out of 'syns' so didn't have any. The thing is I know she couldn't have eaten more than 1000 kcal that day because we'd eaten exactly the same and I'd tracked. By reducing her calories to points she was essentially depriving herself of the knowledge of how CICO works. Now she's lost 4ish stone and looks great, but we'll have to see if maintainance works for her I hope it does

I know another girl who lost 8+ stone on SW. She started regaining, and has gone onto IFIFYM and is losing again.

Now some people just love the system, others rebound every time. I have chosen MFP as I want to know my 'allowance' and make sure my macros are adequate so I get good nutrition and maintain my LBM

So basically up to you.
  • arlzixxx
    arlzixxx Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks very much for all the replies :) I've only lost 4 pounds doing slimming world but have lost a over a stone on mfp I much prefer to track the calories I find syns confusing and a lot of free stuff like rice is very high in calories I don't get why they are free ! Thanks very much everyone :)
  • Fivefootcaloriecounter
    Options
    I'm trying both xxx