KETO & OMAD the best weight loss marriage!!

I started January, 34 days ago, down almost 16 lbs. I lose on average 2 to 4 ounces a day. Of course some days no loss, others a gain. I have experienced two "whoosh" and each time lost over 1 lb. My loss is trending pleasantly down. Much different than my first attempt at LCHF.

Making mistakes with Keto can cause serious stalls and even hinder weight loss. I'll talk about Keto first. Learn from my blunders. If you're doing keto and not happy with your loss answer these questions. Am I drinking diet soda? Am I consuming artificial sweeteners? Am I consuming any "diet" food (example: Atkins products). Am I consuming more than 30% of protein daily? Have I used a keto calculator to determine my total daily energy expenditure? Am I consuming OVER 75% fat? Do I daily eat at a deficit? (Some keto folks don't believe in eating at a deficit. I learned to, i personally had to. You may be different. Discover your own truth about deficits by experimenting).

I used to consume upwards of 80% fat or more, (fat bombs) (you want to utilize your OWN body fat so you do not want to consume over 75% fat on average. I currently consume between 70 to 75%, most often is 70%. Protein is essential. I used to not calculate at all how much protein I consumed. Too much and it converts to glucose. You should keep protein between 15 to 30%. I average around 25 to 30%. (Once you know your daily energy expenditure say it's 1700. Then you use the keto calculator to determine how many fat, protein grams you should consume. Then log daily what you'll eat, and from there you will see as you log your food what percent you're at. I use fatsecret and cronometer.com.). You can google ketogenic diet for appropriate food to consume.

OMAD. What can I say about one meal a day? I would suggest intermittent fasting regularly and increase your time to learn how to manage hunger with distraction and water. Fasting takes much practice. The more often you do it the better you get at managing the little voice in your head that says" feed me!" I love OMAD.

I was surprised that my stomach volume shrunk by fasting everyday for 23 hours. At first I could hardly eat 1000 calories, then I was able to eat normal amounts then I found I was miserable because I felt so stuffed. It's taken some time but now I eat till I'm almost full. I consume between 1350 and 1850 calories. Averaging 1500.

When I started OMAD for some reason I didn't lose any weight. A week later I decided to go back to LCHF or Keto. I wanted to do them together. There was an immediate response. I started losing right away.

Not like many people, I believe in climbing the scale everyday. I'm learning patterns in my weight loss and gains. I simultaneously take body measurements of my neck, arm, waist, hips, and thighs. As well as photos. When the scale goes up I grab my measuring tape. So far each time I check I've LOST more inches from the last record made. So far I've lost 8.5 inches, five on my waist!

Finding a weight loss plan is very personal. What works for me may not work for you. Don't give up. Keep tweaking and trying. I gave up and regained 30 lbs.

This is the first time in my life when a weight loss strategy/lifestyle worked so well for me. I'm here if you have any questions!!

Deborah

Replies

• lizh9
    lizh9 Posts: 12 Member
    what time do you eat your meal?
  • deborahbarnes904
    deborahbarnes904 Posts: 15 Member
    Lizh9 because of my odd sleep schedule on average I eat at 9:30pm. But I'm not married to it if my schedule changes.
  • tahliadcrock
    tahliadcrock Posts: 2 Member
    edited February 2017
    I am also on the keto diet and have lost 9.2 pounds and 2.75 inches so far over the past 4 weeks. I love it because after getting over the keto flu in the first 3 days I no longer want starches, sweets, or breads. And the reduced appetite is so wonderful; I don't have to worry about going over on my daily calories which I also keep track of along with the carbs. My clothes are fitting better and I've already been able to open back up part of the "inaccessible" part of my closet. But I still have about 70 pounds to go before I reach my goal, which should be around 3rd quarter this year.
  • deborahbarnes904
    Awesome tahliadcrock! I have about 85 to go. I had a touch of keto flu. I'm over a month now and I don't have any real hunger that demands attention. So getting in my 23 hours is surprising and easy. Congrats on your loss! It's Exciting! Love keto, love OMAD!
  • lattywg
    lattywg Posts: 15 Member
    Thanks a million for that comprehensive and selfless piece. I'll be saving that for reference as so many of my questions were answered. I started normal low carb on January 7th with an average of 6hrs cardio st the gym. I'd only lost 6lbs. Started keto last Sunday and down 4lbs. I'm really struggling with the fats that make me a bit queasy. I'm 207 and target is 250 by end of June. I'm also combining the 5:2 and 16:8 IF. All the best.
  • deborahbarnes904
    Congrats!! I do not exercise though I want to to be more active. You can put healthy fats/oil on your salad. Or butter or oil in coffee. In the beginning I was nausaed when I consumed my meal which was high in fat, that goes away. Took over a week maybe longer. Work through that. If you are logging what you eat you'll find if your foods are Keto you don't need many tablespoons of butter or oil. lately ive been averaging 2 tablespoons a day. Though one day I goofed and needed in my coffee 2 tablespoons of both butter and coconut oil. It was yummy. That's happened only once. So log for entries. You may be surprised to reach your percent is not many spoons away.
  • slbenner21
    slbenner21 Posts: 1 Member
    I have just started eating (officially) LCHF last week. Not only have I lost 2.2 lbs, but I feel better. I'm less bloated and have less digestive issues. I have been able to stop using crystal light in my water and I do not eat bread, pasta or sweets. My next goal is to eat more vegetables, so any recipes for low carb veggies would be great. I love reading what others have done to give me ideas of how I can keep improving.
  • kathykrupa297
    kathykrupa297 Posts: 29 Member
    I lost about 10lbs in 4 weeks on Keto. Then I got a stomach flue and had one piece of bread. It pushed me off ketosis. Crap! Now I have to get back into it! Has anyone tried a FAT FAST to get back into ketosis? Any recommendations on food?
  • deborahbarnes904
    I lost about 10lbs in 4 weeks on Keto. Then I got a stomach flue and had one piece of bread. It pushed me off ketosis. Crap! Now I have to get back into it! Has anyone tried a FAT FAST to get back into ketosis? Any recommendations on food?

It takes about 3 days sometimes less to get back into ketosis. I on average lost 3.8 lbs doing a fat fast. You regain about 1 lb when you resume eating. Generally is used to break a stall. It's a five day high fat diet of up to 1000 calories though you can go as high 1200. It's four to five mini meals. The following are meals separated by a comma.

1 boiled egg w 1T mayo, 1 oz cream cheese w half ounce macadamia nuts, slice cheese w slice bacon, 2oz tuna w 1 T mayo, BPC w butter 1T or 1T coconut oil, oz cream cheese w bacon, egg w bacon.
  • deborahbarnes904
    edited February 2017
    If you're doing OMAD you're already stuffing your face once a day. This is not a healthy mindset and it does not strengthen long-term positive habits.

My max weight loss was roughly 200lbs. My experience with OMAD is I eventually got sick. I eventually gained back about 100lbs. I did keto on and off through the years. I started to do it again and I Lost about 50lbs putting me at a 150lbs weight loss. I stalled out a bit, took a diet break. Stress hit gained those 50lbs right back.

I'm sorry you didn't have success with OMAD. Not everyone does OMAD the same as you. I do not ever "stuff" my face. Today I'm consuming 800 calories, keto, OMAD. Each person has to find what works for them and their personality. OMAD wasn't for you. I know many who refuse to acknowledge Keto works for weight loss.

Each person should be encouraged to keep trying to find what works for them. YouTube is full of persons successful on OMAD alone without keto. One in particular losing over 100 lbs and are going strong.

Thanks for your input.
  • deborahbarnes904
    slbenner21 wrote: »
    I have just started eating (officially) LCHF last week. Not only have I lost 2.2 lbs, but I feel better. I'm less bloated and have less digestive issues. I have been able to stop using crystal light in my water and I do not eat bread, pasta or sweets. My next goal is to eat more vegetables, so any recipes for low carb veggies would be great. I love reading what others have done to give me ideas of how I can keep improving.

That's awesome. Be sure to check carbs on your veg. Avoid roots like potato, yams, oh and corn as starch is a carb. Good for you quitting Crystal lite. Artificial sweeteners really really impeded my weight loss. Good luck!
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    I am a keto'er....Most of us are in this awesome group.....Feel free to join http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

I have lost 91 lbs with 30 more to go
    Congrats on all your weight loss :)
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    If you're doing OMAD you're already stuffing your face once a day. This is not a healthy mindset and it does not strengthen long-term positive habits.

My max weight loss was roughly 200lbs. My experience with OMAD is I eventually got sick. I eventually gained back about 100lbs. I did keto on and off through the years. I started to do it again and I Lost about 50lbs putting me at a 150lbs weight loss. I stalled out a bit, took a diet break. Stress hit gained those 50lbs right back.

I'm sorry you didn't have success with OMAD. Not everyone does OMAD the same as you. I do not ever "stuff" my face. Today I'm consuming 800 calories, keto, OMAD. Each person has to find what works for them and their personality. OMAD wasn't for you. I know many who refuse to acknowledge Keto works for weight loss.

Each person should be encouraged to keep trying to find what works for them. YouTube is full of persons successful on OMAD alone without keto. One in particular losing over 100 lbs and are going strong.

Thanks for your input.

You are losing that weight from very low calorie intake. Not healthy and certainly not something to promote.

She did say she consumed 1,500 calories on average. For a woman, Consuming 800 calories in 1 meal is still stuffing your face. Obviously, consuming 1,500 calories is worse.

A weight loss averaging 1lb every second day is an incredibly steep deficit. With keto a person will often drop a lot of water weight initially, but even with a larger initial drop, it's still a high rate. To be honest, this whole thread confuses/concerns me for a few different reasons.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member

Thanks for your input.

You are losing that weight from very low calorie intake. Not healthy and certainly not something to promote.

She did say she consumed 1,500 calories on average. For a woman, Consuming 800 calories in 1 meal is still stuffing your face. Obviously, consuming 1,500 calories is worse.

A weight loss averaging 1lb every second day is an incredibly steep deficit. With keto a person will often drop a lot of water weight initially, but even with a larger initial drop, it's still a high rate. To be honest, this whole thread confuses/concerns me for a few different reasons.

I was just about to compose a post about the rate of loss and was caught up on how to word the confounding nature of water weight losses on keto. You've voiced everything I'd like to have said nicely.
  • deborahbarnes904

Thanks for your input.

In 34 days this is my first 800 calorie day. It's no different than doing 5:2. My average intake is 1500 though it varies. This thread was created to support persons interested in OMAD and Keto. Kindly respect that.
  • deborahbarnes904
    This thread is not about losing quickly.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,939 Member
    People are going to call you out when you start promoting 800 calorie days. You didn't state that it is a "fast" day, just that you are hitting 800, which is VLCD and not a good plan. Thanks for clarifying that it is a once a month thing and that you're eating more on average.