Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Constipated vs just not having to go #2.

crazyravrcrazyravr Posts: 2,974Member Member Posts: 2,974Member Member
Not sure where to post this....

How does one know whether you are constipaded vs just not have to go?
I see so many posts about people being constipated. Sometimes I do go #2 for a week or more, but dont feel heavy, bloated etc. Is this maybe the same situation as SICO... crap in crap out kind of a thing? The cleaner and leaner you eat, and stay under you calorie goal, your body will simply burn through all the food and there isnt much stored to come out?
Again not sure where to post this, no idea what I am talking about.... just curious.
edited February 17

Replies

• CorneliusPhotonCorneliusPhoton Posts: 958Member Member Posts: 958Member Member
    If the going is easy and the product is well formed, I'd assume all is good, but waiting one week sounds a bit long. My daughter's gastro doc told her that a consistency like peanut butter is best. There's actually a chart (Bristol chart) that you can refer to to see how healthy your poop is. When you do go, is it hard to? Are you wiggling around trying to get it out? Are you pooping hard pellets? That is constipation. Fish oil and magnesium supplements help me in that department.
  • TR0bertsTR0berts Posts: 7,408Member Member Posts: 7,408Member Member
    I thought constipation was where you had to go (or at least felt like it), but couldn't. I could be wrong, as I've never really put much thought into it.
  • VeryKatieVeryKatie Posts: 5,096Member Member Posts: 5,096Member Member
    Constipation hurts. You feel like you need to go but just can't. Not needing to go feels like not needing to go.
  • Gallowmere1984Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,537Member Member Posts: 6,537Member Member
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    Constipation hurts. You feel like you need to go but just can't. Not needing to go feels like not needing to go.

This.

I haven't had real constipation since I was a teenager, but my god, it's miserable. Painful is a nice way to put it. More colorful would be that it feels like someone shoved a hose up your *kitten* and pumped your guts full of aerated concrete.

On the other hand, when running keto, I'll sometimes not have to go more than once every eight or nine days. No symptoms, just very little waste product when consuming only animal parts and fats.
  • crazyravrcrazyravr Posts: 2,974Member Member Posts: 2,974Member Member
    VeryKatie wrote: »

This.

I haven't had real constipation since I was a teenager, but my god, it's miserable. Painful is a nice way to put it. More colorful would be that it feels like someone shoved a hose up your *kitten* and pumped your guts full of aerated concrete.

On the other hand, when running keto, I'll sometimes not have to go more than once every eight or nine days. No symptoms, just very little waste product when consuming only animal parts and fats.

I am the same way while eating mostly Paleo. Just dont feel like going, not bloated at all. But when I go I REALLY go haha. And when I go it all seems normal and comes out very easily.
    When you gonna be a bear might as well be a grizzly, as the saying goes.
  • BudjolaBudjola Posts: 148Member Member Posts: 148Member Member
    mobile gaming on the toilet every morning
  • rockysmaterockysmate Posts: 2Member Member Posts: 2Member Member
    If you're eating plenty of prebiotics, the stuff your good intestinal bacteria feed on, and drinking plenty of water, and eating soluble and insoluble fiber, you should poop daily and easily.
  • cathipacathipa Posts: 2,190Member, Premium Member Posts: 2,190Member, Premium Member
    Everyone is different. Normal BMs are 3 times a day to once every 3 days. BMs should also be formed and complete. As long as timing and consistency are the same as they have always been then probably no need to worry. If there is a change then speak with a gastroenterologist.
  • PackerjohnPackerjohn Posts: 3,932Member Member Posts: 3,932Member Member
    cathipa wrote: »
    Everyone is different. Normal BMs are 3 times a day to once every 3 days. BMs should also be formed and complete. As long as timing and consistency are the same as they have always been then probably no need to worry. If there is a change then speak with a gastroenterologist.

Pretty much this. I exercise, eat what most people would consider pretty clean and at a normal weight. I'm generally on the 2 a day program, no effort, in and out of the bathroom in a couple minutes.

Changes to habits are a key to getting checked out.