Core and Balance

Options
MsDavis99
MsDavis99 Posts: 101 Member
Hello, I am looking for some tips and tricks to strengthen my core and become more balanced. I am 200lbs and carry most of my weight in my mid section. I am currently beginning cardio...stair climber 15 mins and treadmill 30 mins a day. but really want to focus on core.

What worked for you?

Replies

• Skyblueyellow
    Skyblueyellow Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Yoga! Yoga will help with general flexibility and will help you to develop core strength if you practice regularly.
  • MsDavis99
    Options
    I really been thinking about trying Yoga, I am going to look for a class now.
  • getupforchange
    getupforchange Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    There is a core strengthening Yoga class with Adriene on Youtube. It's amazing!
  • MsDavis99
    Options

Oh thank you, do you have the actual name of the video I can search or the link?
  • getupforchange
    getupforchange Posts: 86 Member
    Options

Oh thank you, do you have the actual name of the video I can search or the link?

The video is called "Yoga For Weight Loss - 40 Minute Fat Burning Yoga Workout!" it's a killer for your abs and core. Her channel is called Yoga with Adriene and she has yoga classes for all occasions. She's wonderful.
  • DannyYMi54321
    DannyYMi54321 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Core exercises like planks, sit-ups, V-ups, rolling rocks, Russian twists, various types of crunches AND doing work on a Bosu, step-up boxes/platforms, on a TRX, etc have all helped me with core and balance issues.
  • aliciaphanwar531
    Options
    My balance is horrible too! How do I improve that? And upper body strength is weak! I weigh 150 pounds
  • MsDavis99
    Options
    My balance is horrible too! How do I improve that? And upper body strength is weak! I weigh 150 pounds

Try the Yoga video^^^^^ I tried over the weekend and it was definitely a challenge but I'm sure if I stick too it I will balance out in no time.
  • patsyacs
    patsyacs Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    My balance has improved with water aerobic classes. My legs are different in length (1/2 to 1" I think) and strength so I am could not do some of the exercises on land. The water helps keep me balanced.
  • MsDavis99
    Options
    patsyacs wrote: »
    My balance has improved with water aerobic classes. My legs are different in length (1/2 to 1" I think) and strength so I am could not do some of the exercises on land. The water helps keep me balanced.

gotta find some of those classes here in Phoenix, there should be an abundance :)
  • MsDavis99
    Options
    Need more ideas
  • rolenthegreat
    rolenthegreat Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Need more ideas

Have you tried planks? It's a killer core workout and there are a lot of variations that can vary the difficulty. There are a lot of planking 'challenges' out there but I just try to hold one with good form for a minute.