Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Skinny vs fit

FitLaughLove
FitLaughLove Posts: 125 Member
Is fit really the new skinny? Everyone is beautiful in their own way but I just am curious as to what's more attractive these days

Replies

• MacaronStyle
    MacaronStyle Posts: 35 Member
    Fit does seem to be the new skinny but I doubt skinny will go out of style anytime soon.
  • lobsterthang999
    lobsterthang999 Posts: 5 Member
    From past experience, fit is better than skinny. I lost all my baby weight second time around by dieting only but my body was soft and untoned. After my third baby I lost the weight by exercsing and eating clean. My body was the same weight but I looked stronger, toned and I was fit as a fiddle, that made me feel GREAT. I think exercise and good nutrition are the key to a healthy and strong body.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    "Skinny" makes me think of someone with little muscle or fat...basically skin and bone...underweight...I've never thought that look to be particularly attractive. I've always thought fit and athletic was sexy...I don't think it's anything new.

I think every girl or woman I've ever dated has been an athlete on some level.
  • madamso1
    madamso1 Posts: 19 Member
    They both look good. I think anyone who looks very healthy is attractive. If you are skinny but look malnourished it is gross. If you are muscular but look like you are hopped up on steroids it is off putting. Just look healthy and you look good.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    When I think of someone being "fit" - this goes beyond the physical and would apply to someone who truly owns it and has their stuff together - mentally and physically. This shines through in true confidence - a confidence that inspires others and helps them to achieve.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    How are we defining "fit?"
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    My grandma used to brag that she weighed 86lbs after having a baby. I'm pretty sure she had an undiagnosed eating disorder (not only based on her weight, but other behaviors too).

I think the huge emphasis on "skinny" is an older generation thing. I think that people nowadays recognize that overall health is more important than thinness; and "skinny" doesn't necessarily equate healthy. There is also more acceptance of diversity in general.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited February 2017
    Is fit really the new skinny? Everyone is beautiful in their own way but I just am curious as to what's more attractive these days

More attractive to whom? Attractive is such a personal thing.

I think both skinny (runway model type) and low BF w muscle (fitness instructor type) are equally pushed as attractive on magazine covers for women. But personally, be it male or female, I am more attracted to those that have more fat on them than what I see in the media as ideal.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited February 2017
    How are we defining "fit?"

I would define it as someone who looks the part because they live the part. Granted, there are people who are over fat, but still physically fit.

I've always been attracted to athletic ladies...most of my girlfriends have tended to be either soccer players or track and field sprinters.

This is what I lean towards...

giphy.gif

And the swagger goes a long way too...have to have that confidence.

My wife played soccer and was a collegiate rugby player which I think is pretty hot...

But then again, everyone's tastes are different...my best friend likes his women very slight and tiny...I used to think I was going to break his ex wife in half just giving her a hello hug...