Fitbits - waste or worth it?

Just wondering what everyone thinks about fitbits. I really want one but my husband says reviews on them are poor.

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    I have a charge HR and this is my second one*(they had to replace the first one) and I have had nothing but issues with it off and on. I would never buy another one is all I can say
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    I just picked one up used on ebay to test it out, and the first couple of days have been eye opening. I don't need all the bells & whistles though, and don't want to sync with anything, so to pay any more would have been a waste for me. After I bought it, I did see some rather sophisticated pedometers on Amazon that seemed like they would be just fine if that's all a person wanted.
  • wheninroam
    wheninroam Posts: 44 Member
    I currently have two fitbits (one is HR and the other for swimming/water) and I love them. They really help motivate me to move.

I had read similar stories to what your husband refers to, so I initially bought a Garmin vivofit 3 (it was waterproof but didn't have the HR) I hated it. It seemed far less accurate and the app was a mess (I *think* they have since updated it) but the experience and the desire for a HR monitor convinced me to give Fitbit a go. I'm really pleased with the features, the app, and most importantly, the motivation it provides.

All that said, you know yourself best. If you're a numbers person and like to see/react to your activity levels, then go for it, if you're not, then it could be just a waste of money for you. Good luck :)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    wheninroam wrote: »
    I currently have two fitbits (one is HR and the other for swimming/water) and I love them. They really help motivate me to move.

I had read similar stories to what your husband refers to, so I initially bought a Garmin vivofit 3 (it was waterproof but didn't have the HR) I hated it. It seemed far less accurate and the app was a mess (I *think* they have since updated it) but the experience and the desire for a HR monitor convinced me to give Fitbit a go. I'm really pleased with the features, the app, and most importantly, the motivation it provides.

All that said, you know yourself best. If you're a numbers person and like to see/react to your activity levels, then go for it, if you're not, then it could be just a waste of money for you. Good luck :)

I'm a MAJOR numbers gal. So I think I'd really like it. Thank you!

And thanks to everyone who responded! I may look for a used one first and see how I like it but really the one I want is $129.99 which I feel is reasonable.

just to let you know, Im not sure about the newer ones but some of the fitbits for some people dont sync half the time,or its not found by the app and so on. some only last a year battery wise. so those are some cons to take into consideration as well. my charge HR is like this often which is why I would never buy another fitbit.I dont know how many times I had to unpair it and then pair it back up with the app and so on.
  • starryphoenix
    starryphoenix Posts: 381 Member
    I love my Fitbit charge! I got mine for Christmas a year ago though. I really want a Blaze. Tracking is fun for me.
  • RosieS_1980
    RosieS_1980 Posts: 61 Member
    I got my charge hr about 5 weeks ago and I love it! I've had no issues with it at all. I wore my chest strap at the same when working out for a couple of days and the calorie burn it gave me was within 10/20 cals of each other so I was happy with that.

I've got mine synched to mfp so enter food on here and exercise on the Fitbit and it does all the numbers for you :)

I wouldn't be without mine!
  • sparks9777
    sparks9777 Posts: 1,010 Member
    I use three flex and wear a separate heart monitor. So I can put the fitbit in my pocket. When was working on a ladder it said I did 3000 STEPS. So put it in my pocket. The only one I'm cheating is me. I love my fitbit
  • jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    I have my alta, and I love it. When I first started losing weight, it really helped me reach my step goals. Now, I like that it tracks calories burned throughout the day.
  • MontyMuttland
    MontyMuttland Posts: 68 Member
    Just wondering what everyone thinks about fitbits. I really want one but my husband says reviews on them are poor.

Fitbit, just like any other activity monitor, is worth it providing you wear it and use it.
    The majority of bad reviews come from people who claim they don't work or are unreliable because they actually expect Fitbits to do magic and you get slim/toned just by owning one.
    Mind you, those same people will tell you they are serious about their health and achieving weight-loss whilst still eating "food" from Fast Food outlets and having cheat days...
  • virginiadj
    virginiadj Posts: 1 Member
    I just purchased my fitbit, but find that it challenges me each day. I love it!